The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series on Blu-ray

pablo

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9080

On Image Entertainment, Inc.'s web site there appears a listing for The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series Blu-ray set to be released in October 30 of this year.

The 5-season set of the popular 1960's TV series, winner of 15 Emmy Awards and staring Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore will have all 157 episodes, spread through out 15 Blu-ray discs and it has been mastered in High Definition. The series had been released previously on a 25-DVD set full with features 7 years ago. No details of what features or how many will be included on the BD set are available at the moment.

http://www.watchimage.com/product/dick-van-dyke-show-the-complete-series-the/bcb9c42c-b5e9-471e-96ca-9c0e00e9aab3#tabs-2

ALL 157 EPISODES DIGITALLY REMASTERED IN HIGH-DEFINITION!

Welcome one of TV's funniest couples ever into your living room. You'll be laughing hysterically as you join Rob Petrie (Dick Van Dyke) struggling with the ups and downs of work and home, aided and agitated by his lovely wife Laura (Mary Tyler Moore). Adding to the fun are Rob's wisecracking co-workers Sally (Rose Marie) and Buddy (Morey Amsterdam), long-suffering Mel Cooly (Richard Deacon) and hot-tempered boss Alan Brady (Carl Reiner).

Winner of 15 Emmy Awards, THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW is consistently ranked among the top TV comedies of all-time and renowned for its top-notch cast and stellar writing. Now enjoy each episode in pristine high-definition for the first time!

• 2 months later...

Well, it IS on Blu-ray, they're more expensive than DVDs and it IS the entire series plus lots of bonuses in one tidy box so....there you have it! lucythrill.JPG

Do we really want to see our gal in HIGHER definition than DVD in The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy?

Do we really want to see our gal in HIGHER definition than DVD in The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy?

Is that rhetorical? Of course! I don't know if Lucy's other series will make it to Blu-ray (if they do, it won't be very soon), but ILL is a given.

Well, it IS on Blu-ray, they're more expensive than DVDs and it IS the entire series plus lots of bonuses in one tidy box so....there you have it! lucythrill.JPG

No bubbela, i even found it expensive on VHS AND on DVD. It was going for around 299 here for the whole deal on dvd which i thought was almost as ridiculous as Law and order the whole series which i thought was insane at 499.99 but i saw it this week and it's 699.99 marked down from 999.99. Then again HMV here sometimes has these ridiculous prices and they later come down. I got the ILL boxed set for 169.99 i think at a rival store that has since shut down, but HMV had it going for 269.99 i think. Suggested retail price my aunt Ethel!

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up, anyone interested in this set, Amazon has their Cyber Monday deal on it right now for 57% off for a total of $150.49.

I never did understand why THIS show has always been so SPENSIVE. It was $59.99 per season when it first came out here years ago and is still that same price now. They have the whole five seasons together now but still at 250 bucks or more, plus tax, which is why i never ever considered buying this, why so ridiculously expensive for such an old show and in black and white yet. At least, you can get it there for 100 bucks off, lucky dogs!

The only two episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show I remember watching as a kid, during its original run, was "It May Look like a Walnut" and the episode where Laura gets her toe stuck in a bathtub faucet! As an adult, I've watched the entire series, and it's right up there with the best of them. And it's aged very well, too. Dick Van Dyke is immensely talented--he really could do anything. But I'm more impressed by Mary Tyler Moore as his wife. She was completely different from her Mary Richards character, and what a cutie! Very, very talented, too. They were perfectly matched.

The only two episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show I remember watching as a kid, during its original run, was "It May Look like a Walnut" and the episode where Laura gets her toe stuck in a bathtub faucet! As an adult, I've watched the entire series, and it's right up there with the best of them. And it's aged very well, too. Dick Van Dyke is immensely talented--he really could do anything. But I'm more impressed by Mary Tyler Moore as his wife. She was completely different from her Mary Richards character, and what a cutie! Very, very talented, too. They were perfectly matched.

True, i wonder why it never took off like I Love Lucy in syndication though. Dick was on Conan tonight, one of the best all around entertainers still around today.

Here's a piece of Dick Van Dyke Show trivia I've never heard before.

I know the original pilot with Carl Reiner was called Head of the Family.

When Dick was cast, the title was DOUBLE TROUBLE before The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Per May 1961 TV Guide: "Double Trouble with Dick Van Dyke and Morey Amsterdam has added Rose Marie to the cast"

What else could that mean except trouble at home and at the office?

Here's a piece of Dick Van Dyke Show trivia I've never heard before.

I know the original pilot with Carl Reiner was called Head of the Family.

When Dick was cast, the title was DOUBLE TROUBLE before The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Per May 1961 TV Guide: "Double Trouble with Dick Van Dyke and Morey Amsterdam has added Rose Marie to the cast"

What else could that mean except trouble at home and at the office?

Very interesting about TV Guide. What's also interesting is that Rose Marie was actually cast before Morey Amsterdam. She was the one who suggested him for the part. The title was referring to the office and home. They changed the title to "All in a Day's Work" before settling on "The Dick Van Dyke Show."

Well so far I've only watched four episodes. I'm going in airdate order as per Wikipedia, since the episodes on the discs are in a different order for whatever reason. I say if you're thinking about getting it, just get it. It's great. The video quality is amazing, and I'm watching this on a large screen with an HD projector. If you've seen Image Entertainment's blu-rays of The Twilight Zone, you know the quality you can expect. Just thinking of a similar set for I Love Lucy makes my knees wobble. If CBS can somehow get us an ILL complete series set like this one for around the $150 that I paid I'd jump on that in a second. Even $200 is not out of the question - but no more, I hope. We need I Love Lucy (and really, all of Lucy) in high defenition!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got my blu-ray set and was wowed at how great the picture looks. Have seen a lot of eps but I found one interesting. The ep is "Like A Sister". Is it me or is the character Rick Valon gay? I got that impression when Buddy reffered to him as "Doodiedoodiedoodle" to Rob.

I never thought this before. I doubt this was Carl Reiner's intention, but I guess the character and situation could be read that way. Buddy says "doodlie doodlie doo doo doo" in quite a few episodes in reference to a budding romance or drinking/partying. I always thought this here referred to how he thought Sally and Rick hit it off. However, that doesn't make sense when Rob says Buddy was right when Laura says she doesn't think Rick feels the same way about Sally as he does about her.

Didn't know what Buddy meant by doodie....... But the episode didn't really explain what they were reffering to either. What made me think he was "gay" was Rob's response to Buddy. "What do you mean doodie,,,,,? What him? Nah!" Sally and Rick went out several times. He never kissed her. He thought of her as a sister. Going to all that trouble not to hurt Sally. Sally's reaction towards the end after she was nice to drive him home. Little things like that. Maybe you're right. maybe it was something else. I'm a gay man myself which is why I picked up little things like that.

Archived