Julia Louis-Dreyfus on tying Lucy's record

Brock

Interesting piece on Julia Louis-Dreyfus nipping at Lucy's Emmy heels:

From TELEVISION WEEK:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus Makes Emmys History CBS News

With her nomination yesterday as outstanding lead actress in a comedy series for "Veep," actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus made Emmys history by tying Lucille Ball's record of 13 nominations -- the most nominations ever for a comedic actress, reports CBS News.

When she was told of the accomplishment, Louis-Dreyfus said she was thrilled by her connection to the star of "I Love Lucy."

She told TVLine.com, "I just learned that this morning; I had no idea beforehand and I'm stunned by it. I'm really actually made speechless by it and don't even know what to say."

Louis-Dreyfus has won two Emmys -- one for "Seinfeld" and another for "The New Adventures of Old Christine." Her nomination yesterday for her new HBO comedy "Veep" was her first for that program. HBO has renewed "Veep" for a second season.

Ball won four Emmys in competitive categories during her career -- including two for “The Lucy Show” and one for “I Love Lucy” -- and received the Governor’s Award from the TV Academy in 1989.

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2012/07/julia-louis-dreyfus-makes-emmy.php

That is a great quote from Julia. To get technical, all of Julia's Seinfeld noms are in the supporting category. Lucy, however, does have multiple nominations in a single year. I guess it all balances out. If Julia wins, I believe she will be the first to win as regular on three different series. I can think of a ton of people who have won for two series. Can anyone think of a performer who won as a regular for three different series?

I saw something about this on E! News yesterday. Can someone detail out the years and noms, or should I just go look in Jimmy's book ( I forgot if they were in there).

Lucy's Emmy noms are all covered in the book, but here's the information. :)

1952: Best Comedian or Comedienne: Nominees: Sid Caesar, Imogene Coca, Jimmy Durante, Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, Herb Shriner, and Red Skelton (winner).

1953 (two noms): Most Outstanding Personality: Nominees: Jimmy Durante, Arthur Godfrey, Edward R. Murrow, Donald O’Connor, Adlai Stevenson, and Bishop Fulton J. Sheen (winner).

1953: Best Comedienne: Eve Arden, Imogene Coca, Joan Davis, and Martha Raye. LUCY WINS!

1954: Best Female Star of Regular Series: Eve Arden for Our Miss Brooks, Imogene Coca for Your Show of Shows, Dinah Shore for The Dinah Shore Show, and Loretta Young for The Loretta Young Show (winner)

1955: Best Actress Starring in a Regular Series: Gracie Allen (The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show), Eve Arden (Our Miss Brooks; winner), Ann Sothern (Private Secretary), and Loretta Young (The Loretta Young Show).

1956 (two noms): Best Comedienne: Gracie Allen, Eve Arden, and Nanette Fabray (winner)

1956: Best Actress—Continuing Performance: Gracie Allen, Eve Arden, Ann Sothern, Jean Hagen. LUCY WINS!

1957: Best Continuing Performance by a Comedienne in a Series: Nanette Fabray for Caesar’s Hour (winner), Edie Adams for The Ernie Kovacs Show, Gracie Allen for

The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, and Ann Sothern for Private Secretary.

1958: Best Continuing Performance (Female) in a Series by a Comedienne, Singer, Hostess, Dancer, M.C., Announcer, Narrator, Panelist, or any Person Who Essentially Plays Herself: Gracie Allen, Dody Goodman (Tonight Starring Jack Paar), Loretta Young (The Loretta Young Show), and Dinah Shore (The Dinah Shore Show; winner).

1963: Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actress in a Series (Lead): Shirley Booth of Hazel (winner), Shirl Conway of The Nurses, Mary Tyler Moore of The Dick Van Dyke Show, and Irene Ryan of The Beverly Hillbillies

1966: Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series: Mary Tyler Moore for The Dick Van Dyke Show (winner) and Elizabeth Montgomery for Bewitched.

1967: Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series: Elizabeth Montgomery (Bewitched), Agnes Moorehead, (Bewitched), and Marlo Thomas (That Girl). LUCY WINS!

1968: Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series: Barbara Feldon for Get Smart, Elizabeth Montgomery for Bewitched, Paula Prentiss for He & She, and Marlo Thomas for That Girl. LUCY WINS!

Lucy's Emmy noms are all covered in the book, but here's the information. :)

1952: Best Comedian or Comedienne: Nominees: Sid Caesar, Imogene Coca, Jimmy Durante, Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, Herb Shriner, and Red Skelton (winner).

1953 (two noms): Most Outstanding Personality: Nominees: Jimmy Durante, Arthur Godfrey, Edward R. Murrow, Donald O’Connor, Adlai Stevenson, and Bishop Fulton J. Sheen (winner).

1953: Best Comedienne: Eve Arden, Imogene Coca, Joan Davis, and Martha Raye. LUCY WINS!

1954: Best Female Star of Regular Series: Eve Arden for Our Miss Brooks, Imogene Coca for Your Show of Shows, Dinah Shore for The Dinah Shore Show, and Loretta Young for The Loretta Young Show (winner)

1955: Best Actress Starring in a Regular Series: Gracie Allen (The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show), Eve Arden (Our Miss Brooks; winner), Ann Sothern (Private Secretary), and Loretta Young (The Loretta Young Show).

1956 (two noms): Best Comedienne: Gracie Allen, Eve Arden, and Nanette Fabray (winner)

1956: Best Actress—Continuing Performance: Gracie Allen, Eve Arden, Ann Sothern, Jean Hagen. LUCY WINS!

1957: Best Continuing Performance by a Comedienne in a Series: Nanette Fabray for Caesar’s Hour (winner), Edie Adams for The Ernie Kovacs Show, Gracie Allen for

The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, and Ann Sothern for Private Secretary.

1958: Best Continuing Performance (Female) in a Series by a Comedienne, Singer, Hostess, Dancer, M.C., Announcer, Narrator, Panelist, or any Person Who Essentially Plays Herself: Gracie Allen, Dody Goodman (Tonight Starring Jack Paar), Loretta Young (The Loretta Young Show), and Dinah Shore (The Dinah Shore Show; winner).

1963: Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actress in a Series (Lead): Shirley Booth of Hazel (winner), Shirl Conway of The Nurses, Mary Tyler Moore of The Dick Van Dyke Show, and Irene Ryan of The Beverly Hillbillies

1966: Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series: Mary Tyler Moore for The Dick Van Dyke Show (winner) and Elizabeth Montgomery for Bewitched.

1967: Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series: Elizabeth Montgomery (Bewitched), Agnes Moorehead, (Bewitched), and Marlo Thomas (That Girl). LUCY WINS!

1968: Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series: Barbara Feldon for Get Smart, Elizabeth Montgomery for Bewitched, Paula Prentiss for He & She, and Marlo Thomas for That Girl. LUCY WINS!

Lovely though she may be, Nanette Fabray over our own Lucille Ball?? Twice!!?? Mind-boggling. And with the recent passing of our own Bill Asher, this list reminds me yet again that Elizabeth Montgomery was often robbed and deserved to win at least ONE (if not more) of her multi-noms as Best Actress in Bewitched.

Criminal! lucyhorror.JPG

Lovely though she may be, Nanette Fabray over our own Lucille Ball?? Twice!!?? Mind-boggling. And with the recent passing of our own Bill Asher, this list reminds me yet again that Elizabeth Montgomery was often robbed and deserved to win at least ONE (if not more) of her multi-noms as Best Actress in Bewitched.

Criminal! lucyhorror.JPG

Nanette's second win was very controversial. She had left Caesar's Hour almost a full year prior to that year's award ceremony. However, Nanette was still briefly on the show during the eligibility period, so her nomination and win were valid.

Archived