Viv Visits Lucy

Anyone else love this episode? LOL.

Not only did Viv guest star but I loved the whole sunset strip scene, and when Lucy & Viv were in the Hairy Ape trying to respond to the two guys and Lucy sits back down accompanied by a guitar lick.

And LOL how they are making up dances and Lucy does the "chipmunk" and when the two guys "shoot the arrows" there is actually a boing sound effect.

Crazy!

It has its enjoyable moments, but this is one of the lesser Lucy/Viv episodes, IMO. I felt the whole setup of getting them onto the strip was very contrived, by inventing this Danfield couple and son we'd never heard of before and never hear from again.

Part of me feels that there could've been a better plot for them to persue. They manage to get Viv back after more than a year away and this is the story they find for her? They handle it very well, of course, but I think there could've been other California-specific areas more worth exploring (like having Lucy and Viv getting stuck up in the Hollywood sign :) )

I'm far more partial to the outing next season with Joan Crawford.

It drives me crazy that it makes it seem like Lucy and Vivian have not spoken at all in over a year and Lucy knows nothing about Vivian's husband. I wish Vivian was mentioned on occasion after she left the show like Rhoda was on Mary Tyler Moore. I guess if Lucy's kids were never mentioned by (correct) name, why should Viv.

It drives me crazy that it makes it seem like Lucy and Vivian have not spoken at all in over a year and Lucy knows nothing about Vivian's husband. I wish Vivian was mentioned on occasion after she left the show like Rhoda was on Mary Tyler Moore. I guess if Lucy's kids were never mentioned by (correct) name, why should Viv.

I agree with all these points . . . wasn't she even invited to the wedding since she asks what does Viv's husband look like?

I mean, it just cracked me up when Lucy and Viv were in the Hairy Ape.

Oh and on the wedding note, maybe Viv and Mr. Bunson eloped.

Yes, it really makes it unclear just how and when Lucy Carmichael left Danfield. Would she really leave town BEFORE her best friend's wedding? Or did Viv hook up with Vern the moment Lucy left town. It's so illogical. The original script for Viv Visits Lucy had Viv mention her husband's name as Charlie, which would've been another retcon so thankfully it was cut.

I for one do not enjoy this episode at all.. I feel cheated.. I guess they are going for the younger viewer.. but that whole hippy thing rubs me wrong.. and that lighthouse dance.. .. What a waste of talent.. Vivian Vance is the guest star and she deseved a much better stint than THAT.. and that don't jabber me jazz just isn't funny to me.. I didn't live back then so I don't really understand the whole "anti authority" thing.. I find it disrespectful and it pulls the whole episode down for me..

I for one do not enjoy this episode at all.. I feel cheated.. I guess they are going for the younger viewer.. but that whole hippy thing rubs me wrong.. and that lighthouse dance.. .. What a waste of talent.. Vivian Vance is the guest star and she deseved a much better stint than THAT.. and that don't jabber me jazz just isn't funny to me.. I didn't live back then so I don't really understand the whole "anti authority" thing.. I find it disrespectful and it pulls the whole episode down for me..

It felt forced, yeah, like a cartoonish take on how prudish adults perceived the counter-culture movement.

The hippie aspect I think did work, so modern for that time. Plus it got Lucy and Viv into some silly outfits and into a predicament, which they wanted. If the plot was to go down the sunset strip to find Chris, who was secretly vacationing down in LA, that would've worked wayyyy better.

Of course the Hollywood sign thing would've been perfect too bad it was never written. Or any Hollywood/celebrity predicament. I'm just glad that they didn't write Viv as a, excuse my language, a bitch. Like they would for any other Viv guest starring role.

But my favorite thing from that whole episode.

Lucy:The names Luc

Hippie:LOOSE?!

Lucy: It's short for Lucy!!

Why did they do only one episode? Vivian Vance flew three thousand miles to do one episode. They should have had two episodes so Viv can see Lucy's new apartment.

This is irritating, Lucy had to introduce Mr. Mooney to Viv like he forgot what she looked like the year before and he even behaved like he met her briefly in Danfield. Those three characters have had special memories together. They should have used the second episode as a flashback episode with Mr. Mooney, Viv and Lucy talking about their adventures together in Danfield.

Why did they do only one episode? Vivian Vance flew three thousand miles to do one episode. They should have had two episodes so Viv can see Lucy's new apartment.

This is irritating, Lucy had to introduce Mr. Mooney to Viv like he forgot what she looked like the year before and he even behaved like he met her briefly in Danfield. Those three characters have had special memories together. They should have used the second episode as a flashback episode with Mr. Mooney, Viv and Lucy talking about their adventures together in Danfield.

Yeah. The writers kind of sucked with working both the plots together. They started with a great transition with the first episode of season four but after that its like they completely forgot about Danfield.

• 1 month later...

That was the original idea. The notes on the season 5 set say that "Lucy & Viv Reminisce" was conceived at the same time, and originally they were going to do both shows, but then they decided to save it for the next season.

The hippie aspect I think did work, so modern for that time. Plus it got Lucy and Viv into some silly outfits and into a predicament, which they wanted. If the plot was to go down the sunset strip to find Chris, who was secretly vacationing down in LA, that would've worked wayyyy better.

Of course the Hollywood sign thing would've been perfect too bad it was never written. Or any Hollywood/celebrity predicament. I'm just glad that they didn't write Viv as a, excuse my language, a bitch. Like they would for any other Viv guest starring role.

But my favorite thing from that whole episode.

Lucy:The names Luc

Hippie:LOOSE?!

Lucy: It's short for Lucy!!

L O O S E ! That's what the football team called her! :lucydisgust::lucythrill:

Archived