Were Viv’s Mental Problems Caused By Marriage?

Celtic_Fan

It seems that most of her mental illness issues occurred during her third marriage, which we know was abusive. I think perhaps she had a predisposition to depression / anxiety, but the stress of that marriage seemed to have triggered it. If you think about it, her mental illness issues seemed to have pretty much dissipated after her divorce.

There is a lot of evidence that abusive relationships can cause a whole range of mental problems, including depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Any thoughts?

It seems that most of her mental illness issues occurred during her third marriage, which we know was abusive. I think perhaps she had a predisposition to depression / anxiety, but the stress of that marriage seemed to have triggered it. If you think about it, her mental illness issues seemed to have pretty much dissipated after her divorce.

There is a lot of evidence that abusive relationships can cause a whole range of mental problems, including depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Any thoughts?

I believe it certainly didn't help her mental situation, but I think she had a nervous breakdown before she even married Ober. She struggled with depression and had a lot of guilty feelings about her life that contrasted with the way she was brought up. That slimy arse didn't help matters when he punched her in the eye, I'm sure. :lucyshock:

It was definately before her marriages. It started as a teenager/early twenties, her mom was very harsh to her. All because wanted to be an actress and she didn't approve of the way she would dress. Her mom thought of her as a sinner, it ruined Viv's esteem and of course she went into a depression. She would vomit at certain moments with the thought of it or if a man would try to make a move at that point. It really ruined her mentally but over the next decades she would still feel the pain along with Mr Ober because of his abuse.

It was definately before her marriages. It started as a teenager/early twenties, her mom was very harsh to her. All because wanted to be an actress and she didn't approve of the way she would dress. Her mom thought of her as a sinner, it ruined Viv's esteem and of course she went into a depression. She would vomit at certain moments with the thought of it or if a man would try to make a move at that point. It really ruined her mentally but over the next decades she would still feel the pain along with Mr Ober because of his abuse.

Yes, definitely something she grew up with that was made worse by the abuse she suffered at the hands of her mother and husbands.

• 2 years later...

Any thoughts?

While Phil Ober was a scum bag, she actually had been seeing a psychiatrist for decades. Bill gets a bad wrap for being the cause as well. He certainly didn't help, but he was by far not the cause.

One of the sad parts I remember from the Other Side book was how she had such terrible anxiety during ILL she would have times where she would pull the car over on Sunset and would have to will herself to make it to the studio.

Something interesting I recently read was in the This is Your Life book Lucy made her included photos of ever important person in her life including her psychiatrist.

One of the sad parts I remember from the Other Side book was how she had such terrible anxiety during ILL she would have times where she would pull the car over on Sunset and would have to will herself to make it to the studio.

Something interesting I recently read was in the This is Your Life book Lucy made her included photos of ever important person in her life including her psychiatrist.

She also kept her address written on a small piece of paper in one of her shoes for decades in case she would forget where she lived in the middle of a break down.

Archived