Lost Here's Lucy opening

Neil

In 1969, Mike Dann of CBS Programming suggested that the still highly rated "Here's Lucy" show was 'old hat'. So LBP turned to MTM to device more modern opening credits. These were rejected by CBS and LBP outright (mainly because of the vocalist "Where's Martha Mears when you need her?!") , but MTM used the opening graphic animation and the song with new lyrics the next year for their new Mary Tyler Moore show. Long thought lost, the film was recently discovered under the bed of the widow of Marl Young...

When I was searching for clips, I was impressed with just how physically agile Gale Gordon was for a man in his 60s who was not in the greatest shape. In addition to his impressive cartwheel (when was the last time YOU did one?), watch him falling into the trap door in "Burglar Alarm". (this must have been another of his specialties because he does the same thing complete with tossing his hat in the air in the "our Miss Brooks" movie), missing the raft and landing in the COLD water in "Rapids", and the abuse he takes in "Fixer"! Even if things were padded (the chimney, the chandelier), it still looks like it could have hurt.

And there were dozens of things I compiled and didn't use. What a professional trouper he was. Too bad he didn't win an Emmy, though 4 nominations over a 16 year period is pretty impressive. I just realized his nomination time span is the same as Lucy's. (1955-71 vs. 1952-68)

Thanks to Brock and Harry for clip suggestions.

• 2 months later...

Man.. that was very good!!! Wish I knew how to assemble clips like that.. wonder what you need to get to achieve that

Just saw this today, thanks for bumping it up, absolutely incredible the talent this guy Neil has. There was not enough Lucy and too much Gale for my liking but it still was terrific, LOL! I should have figured Brock had suggested some of the clips, i'm surprised he didn't change the title to Here's Gale, LOL! With that great supporting actress Lucy Desiree Ball. :marionstrong:

Archived