Lucy and Lucie in 1972-1973-ish Cancer PSA

Brock

I just found this incredible Public Service Announcement for ovarian cancer done on the HL set with Lucy and Lucie! Check it out!

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675047044_uterine-cancer_actress-Lucille-Ball_threat-of-Uterine-cancer_inventor-of-Pap-test

Text from the website:

An awareness film about uterine cancer by American Cancer Society, United States. Film titled 'For a Wonderful life'. Enactment shows US actress Lucille Ball and her daughter Lucie Arnaz talk about Uterine Cancer and -pap test. They talk about pap test in detail like it is painless, its availability, use and procedure of test. Boys of young age not having any threats of uterine cancer. Pre adolescent girls, Pre menopause stage women and women of post menopause stage having threat of Uterine cancer participating at a graduation ceremony. Women of different races, age and immune system at the ceremony. A woman in a garden talks about her experience about Pap test she discusses about periods and statistics of female deaths because of this cancer. She speaks about the importance of pap test. A mother and daughter walk along discussing about uterine test. Daughter insists her mother to get her pap test done. Mother argues with the daughter. But daughter makes her understand its importance and simplicity. She also tells her grand mother to get it done. Mother at last agrees for the test. Two friends visit a zoo with their children. They talk about uterine cancer and pap test. A friend explains the procedure to another friend. Animated diagram shows the procedure of test. Image of a woman, location of vagina, cervix, fallopian tube and uterus shown in a diagram. Animated forceps collect cells from the uterus. She tells the name of inventor of pap test 'Papanicolaou'. Friend asks whether doctors take out all the organs during a surgery. Other friend tells it is not true. She tells the percentage of positive results of test. Children come to them as they ask to visit a bear at the zoo. Woman permits them. Children run. Women joins them. Elderly woman plays with children. Girls run on a beach and play tennis. A girl rides a bicycle.

This public service film is a very rare Lucille Ball find. You just never know when something like this film will show up. Just when we think we have seen everything the lady did something new is found. So much work from her long amazing career waiting to be explored. This film would make an excellent extra feature for the Here's Lucy dvds. Thanks so much for sharing this rare film wih us. :)

This public service film is a very rare Lucille Ball find. You just never know when something like this film will show up. Just when we think we have seen everything the lady did something new is found. So much work from her long amazing career waiting to be explored. This film would make an excellent extra feature for the Here's Lucy dvds. Thanks so much for sharing this rare film wih us. :)

Yup, they're not even trying and they keep coming up with yet more stuff, this lady has so much material available out there that we may be getting new things for decades to come, only the kinescopes are gone.

• 1 month later...

Yup, they're not even trying and they keep coming up with yet more stuff, this lady has so much material available out there that we may be getting new things for decades to come, only the kinescopes are gone.

I hope that this will be an extra feature because it is educational but shows the sunny and positive side of the 1970s. I think Lucy and Lucie both look lovely and Lucy shows her care for women in the clip. Does anyone know when the educational film for the U.S. Savings Bonds shown partly in A Tribute to Lucy was filmed? Do other Lucy educational films exist? I know she did a couple of commercials in the 1970s for her endorsed board games, do they still exist?

I know she did a couple of commercials in the 1970s for her endorsed board games, do they still exist?

The commercials stil exist. Several of them play on a loop in one of the rooms at the museum in Jamestown. The rooms are arranged in sequence and the final one -- the last time I was there, anyway -- was dedicated to Lucy's work with Milton Bradley.

Archived