Kathryn Card on Burns and Allen

Neil

Grrrr....I don't know why this isn't working for me anymore. Same as my Larry Keating video. I copy the link to the post, there's space for the youtube link, but nothing shows up. The URL shows up on my raw post. I just hate it when things work and then for no apparent reason or cause no longer work. What say-est you, o bored and talented webmaster?

This one is listed as Kathryn Card on Burns and Allen on youtube.

All GREEK to me. :lucythrill: I've been using tomato PASTE, should i try Bulldog Cement?

Ive been looking at Burns and Allan a lot lately, I have been blown away by its comedy! lolol

Any way, A LOT of characters from Lucy, also were on the cast of Burns and Allen (Im sure every one knew this, but I never did!)

Silvia Collins would be boyfriend Eddie , played in it

The actor who played Mr Meriweather -Mario-etc. played in it

Elanor? I think- the "Speed It Up a Lil!!" Lucy legendary co host. she played a few.

A lot of others Im sure :)

Ive been looking at Burns and Allan a lot lately, I have been blown away by its comedy! lolol

Any way, A LOT of characters from Lucy, also were on the cast of Burns and Allen (Im sure every one knew this, but I never did!)

Silvia Collins would be boyfriend Eddie , played in it

The actor who played Mr Meriweather -Mario-etc. played in it

Elanor? I think- the "Speed It Up a Lil!!" Lucy legendary co host. she played a few.

A lot of others Im sure :)

Same thing with Beverly Hillbillies. Loads of Lucy show performers or people associated with her shows. People like the great Kathleen Freeman, Nancy Kulp of course and Joi Lansing to name but three.

Thanks, Neil! That was a hilarious compiliation! "What happened? Are they burying a lifeguard today?"

My Antenna TV affiliate's parent company and my cable company are fighting right now and Antenna TV has been temporarily blacked out. I really have to watch Burns and Allen more often when it comes back.

The premise of the episode where the group keeps trying to leave is that Gracie wanted to go to the beach but George was trying to reach Mr. Williams for an important reason. The beach group keeps growing and every time they leave Gracie insists they all say good-bye to Mrs. Johnson, then the leaving is interrupted. George gives up trying to reach Mr. Williams and then when they finally leave Williams shows up at the door---in the person of Mr. Dorrance, Lucy's novel (excerpt) publisher.

I love Kathryn's final disgusted "Good BYE" to the group.

The other line I love is Kathryn as the cook telling Gracie she's a great cook but doesn't go in for the "frills and folderols", delivered in Kathryn's unique style.

And when Mrs. Bellows mistakes George for the (potentially snooty) butler " I'm not Lana Turner. It's about time you got here, Mr. Fancy Pants. There's a lot of work to do before you get in your monkey suit."

I'd love to hear Mrs. Johnson and Gracie get into a debate about what arrival time to include in a telegram, and how to allow for the three hours. "Arriving 9:30" is exactly the sort of wire Gracie would send.

Somehow I left out a scene that precedes the one where Kathryn and Gracie are talking about the coat. I'll do another post with that one because it's pretty good too.

She's SO Mrs. McGillicuddy! I wonder if she ever did Minnie Finch on other shows, a funny character, but NOTHING beats Mrs. McGillicuddy. They could have cast virtually anyone as Mrs. M and they probably would have been enjoyable --Madge Blake, Jesslyn Fax-- but Kathryn put a unforgettable stamp on the character.

I found the date of the beach trip episode May 23, 1955 which was smack dab in the middle of the Hollywood episodes. Burns and Allen was on at 8, ILL at 9 on Mondays. I wonder if there was ever an "Evening with Kathryn Card".

Thanks, Neil! That was a hilarious compiliation! "What happened? Are they burying a lifeguard today?"

My Antenna TV affiliate's parent company and my cable company are fighting right now and Antenna TV has been temporarily blacked out. I really have to watch Burns and Allen more often when it comes back.

The premise of the episode where the group keeps trying to leave is that Gracie wanted to go to the beach but George was trying to reach Mr. Williams for an important reason. The beach group keeps growing and every time they leave Gracie insists they all say good-bye to Mrs. Johnson, then the leaving is interrupted. George gives up trying to reach Mr. Williams and then when they finally leave Williams shows up at the door---in the person of Mr. Dorrance, Lucy's novel (excerpt) publisher.

I love Kathryn's final disgusted "Good BYE" to the group.

The other line I love is Kathryn as the cook telling Gracie she's a great cook but doesn't go in for the "frills and folderols", delivered in Kathryn's unique style.

And when Mrs. Bellows mistakes George for the (potentially snooty) butler " I'm not Lana Turner. It's about time you got here, Mr. Fancy Pants. There's a lot of work to do before you get in your monkey suit."

I'd love to hear Mrs. Johnson and Gracie get into a debate about what arrival time to include in a telegram, and how to allow for the three hours. "Arriving 9:30" is exactly the sort of wire Gracie would send.

Somehow I left out a scene that precedes the one where Kathryn and Gracie are talking about the coat. I'll do another post with that one because it's pretty good too.

She's SO Mrs. McGillicuddy! I wonder if she ever did Minnie Finch on other shows, a funny character, but NOTHING beats Mrs. McGillicuddy. They could have cast virtually anyone as Mrs. M and they probably would have been enjoyable --Madge Blake, Jesslyn Fax-- but Kathryn put a unforgettable stamp on the character.

I found the date of the beach trip episode May 23, 1955 which was smack dab in the middle of the Hollywood episodes. Burns and Allen was on at 8, ILL at 9 on Mondays. I wonder if there was ever an "Evening with Kathryn Card".

I could JUST SWEAR THAT Kathryns voice in Judy Garlands A Star Is Born (deleted scene) in which James Mason's character goes to the lodging houses looking for Esther!

I could JUST SWEAR THAT Kathryns voice in Judy Garlands A Star Is Born (deleted scene) in which James Mason's character goes to the lodging houses looking for Esther!

It is! :D Barbara Pepper and Nancy Kulp are both completely cut from the film and the footage and soundtrack has never been found. Bobby Jellison's part was also cut, but his voice remains in the soundtrack in the reconstructed version.

It is! :D Barbara Pepper and Nancy Kulp are both completely cut from the film and the footage and soundtrack has never been found. Bobby Jellison's part was also cut, but his voice remains in the soundtrack in the reconstructed version.

THEY all had parts in A Star is Born????? All in the Garland version?

THEY all had parts in A Star is Born????? All in the Garland version?

Yes. All of their (minor) parts ended up on the cutting room floor after theater owners told Warner Bros. that if the film was a half hour shorter, they could get another showing a day out of the film. Warners then cut a half hour from the film after it was initally released. They did this to make more money. However, people heard that this cut version wasn't as good as the version that was premiered and theatergoers stayed home. The original film was destroyed. Some of the missing parts of the film were discovered in the 1980s, along with the movie's soundtrack. A version was assembled that restored the footage and put in still photos where they only had sound. Kathryn Card's scene was cut, but her voice is heard in the restored version. The same thing with Bobby Jellison. I believe Nancy Kulp and Barbara Pepper's scene is from about five minutes of the film that is still completely missing to this day.

Yes. All of their (minor) parts ended up on the cutting room floor after theater owners told Warner Bros. that if the film was a half hour shorter, they could get another showing a day out of the film. Warners then cut a half hour from the film after it was initally released. They did this to make more money. However, people heard that this cut version wasn't as good as the version that was premiered and theatergoers stayed home. The original film was destroyed. Some of the missing parts of the film were discovered in the 1980s, along with the movie's soundtrack. A version was assembled that restored the footage and put in still photos where they only had sound. Kathryn Card's scene was cut, but her voice is heard in the restored version. The same thing with Bobby Jellison. I believe Nancy Kulp and Barbara Pepper's scene is from about five minutes of the film that is still completely missing to this day.

Oh i'm fully aware of the BACK STORY on the film and it's shortened release, the lost footage and i have a copy of the restored version which is so weird to watch with pictures being shown where the footage was lost, but i always thought they mostly cut Judy's singing, notably the Born in a Trunk number which is sensational. Had no idea our three friends had been cut from the film.

I've got the movie on DVD. Where is the Kathryn Card audio? What does she say?

"You know they're grooming Esther to be a big movie star."

"Her? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!"

OK I can see the economics of cutting the movie, but DESTROYING THE FOOTAGE?? You'd think they would have saved it for special showings. (This may have been noted by someone else, but...) They cut footage but felt we needed to see just how great Esther/Vicki is, so they ADDED the whole "Born in a Trunk" sequence, which was absent from the original.

I've got the movie on DVD. Where is the Kathryn Card audio? What does she say?

"You know they're grooming Esther to be a big movie star."

"Her? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!"

:marionstrong: Kathryn Card is the landlady at Esther's apartment (boarding house?) when Norman finally tracks her down. Esther's on the roof washing her hair. I don't remember what any of Card's lines are. There aren't that many. I think this scene is the last one in the long still montage segment. It then moves on to Esther having her make up done for her screen test.

OK I can see the economics of cutting the movie, but DESTROYING THE FOOTAGE?? You'd think they would have saved it for special showings. (This may have been noted by someone else, but...) They cut footage but felt we needed to see just how great Esther/Vicki is, so they ADDED the whole "Born in a Trunk" sequence, which was absent from the original.

Supposedly, Jack Warner was angry at Judy Garland and Sid Luft was going overbudget and being what he considered "difficult" so he had Warner Bros. editors cut the film without any input from the Lufts or director George Cukor. Then all the original footage was destroyed. I think Judy and Cukor said they would have gladly sacrificed the "Born in a Trunk" sequence since that had nothing to do with the plot unlike the scenes that were cut from the film. Cukor never cared for the "Born in the Trunk" sequence. That was done without his involvement after the picture originally wrapped. Two other numbers "Here's What I'm Here For" (where Norman proposes) and "Lose That Long Face" (which bookends Esther's breakdown over her marriage in her dressingroom) were cut instead and they are important to the film.

There are a couple of versions about why the SIB budget went so high. One of them was that at some point in the filming it was decided to do it in wide-screen and all that footage had to be re-shot. I'm sure Judy caused some delays, but ya gotta give her a bit of a break: can you imagine having to be up to giving a Judy Garland performance every day? Maybe doing "the big number" at 7:30 am! So much was riding on HER (much like Lucy), but Judy was insecure in a way Lucy was not. Judy speaking at the Hollywood premiere: she seems to child-like and emotionally frail.

I had the soundtrack to SIB years before I actually saw the picture and was disappointed in 2 things:

I assumed "The Man that Got Away" was a song sung in character about her relationship with Norman--not something she was rehearsing with a band. Great song, but Garland could pack an emotional wallop with it if it was part of the plot, her actual yearning for said man.

I also assumed "Born in Trunk" was the result of Vicki accepting an award (Oscar?). (with her "thank you very much" beginning). It's a great extended sequences but it's SO shoehorned in and is less dramatically effective because it's merely a 'short subject' the studio produces to spotlight Esther/Vicki's burgeoning talent. Did they still do those in 1954?

:marionstrong: Kathryn Card is the landlady at Esther's apartment (boarding house?) when Norman finally tracks her down. Esther's on the roof washing her hair. I don't remember what any of Card's lines are. There aren't that many. I think this scene is the last one in the long still montage segment. It then moves on to Esther having her make up done for her screen test.

Supposedly, Jack Warner was angry at Judy Garland and Sid Luft was going overbudget and being what he considered "difficult" so he had Warner Bros. editors cut the film without any input from the Lufts or director George Cukor. Then all the original footage was destroyed. I think Judy and Cukor said they would have gladly sacrificed the "Born in a Trunk" sequence since that had nothing to do with the plot unlike the scenes that were cut from the film. Cukor never cared for the "Born in the Trunk" sequence. That was done without his involvement after the picture originally wrapped. Two other numbers "Here's What I'm Here For" (where Norman proposes) and "Lose That Long Face" (which bookends Esther's breakdown over her marriage in her dressingroom) were cut instead and they are important to the film.

Ok, change the title of the thread to Kathryn Card's Star was stillborn . . . I love this movie and think it a sacrilege that Judy lost The Oscar to that Hollywood tramp Grace Kelly, it shows you the power of the studios back then to get everybody to vote for who they wanted to see win, three movies were coming out soon with Ms Kelly, the future Princess of Monaco, Judy's comeback lost out as she was hated by the studios for her behavior, behavior they instilled in her with pills. :lucydisgust:

I also assumed "Born in Trunk" was the result of Vicki accepting an award (Oscar?). (with her "thank you very much" beginning). It's a great extended sequences but it's SO shoehorned in and is less dramatically effective because it's merely a 'short subject' the studio produces to spotlight Esther/Vicki's burgeoning talent. Did they still do those in 1954?

I always thought "Born in a Trunk" was supposed to be the finale of Vicki's first film. However, it's got to be one of those bizarre "shows within a show" where it would make no sense as a movie in real life. What movie would actually end like that?

Same thing with Beverly Hillbillies. Loads of Lucy show performers or people associated with her shows. People like the great Kathleen Freeman, Nancy Kulp of course and Joi Lansing to name but three.

Don't forget Roy Roberts practically played the same role on multiple episodes of THE LUCY SHOW (as Mr. Cheever) and THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES (as Mr. Cushing) virtually at the same time although he was ending his run on BH as he was beginning TLS.

And besides the unforgettable work of Bea Benaderet, Mary Wickes, and Elvia Allman, there was also Hans Conreid, Natalie Schafer, Robert Cummings, Jesse White, Doris Packer, Hedda Hopper, Richard Deacon, Paul Winchell, and John Wayne, as well as probably several others who met the wacky redhead and the wiry granny.

Don't forget Roy Roberts practically played the same role on multiple episodes of THE LUCY SHOW (as Mr. Cheever) and THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES (as Mr. Cushing) virtually at the same time although he was ending his run on BH as he was beginning TLS.

And besides the unforgettable work of Bea Benaderet, Mary Wickes, and Elvia Allman, there was also Hans Conreid, Natalie Schafer, Robert Cummings, Jesse White, Doris Packer, Hedda Hopper, Richard Deacon, Paul Winchell, and John Wayne, as well as probably several others who met the wacky redhead and the wiry granny.

So true, i had forgotten that the great Elvia Allman played the dreaded Alverna Bradshaw on Hillbillies and i'm just getting to the Roy Roberts episodes now as i watch the series. Of course i only have the first three seasons and it's already not the best, this series got progressively worse as it went along. They also featured a man in a gorilla suit for many episodes which was when i lost interest in the series. Do you know which show had Granny getting a gift either for her birthday or Christmas of her old cabin rebuilt by the cement pond? I remember her waking up in there and thinking she had died and gone to heaven, can't wait to find that one, i loved it.

Archived