UPDATE: Bonnie Franklin has died

C L A U D E

One Day at a Time's Ann Romano, played by actress Bonnie Franklin, has pancreatic cancer. One of the deadliest forms of this illness, usually patients don't last very long. Her family has asked for privacy but this news hit the airwaves today. So sad, Bonnie's in her late sixties only.

It is sad. Remember Michael Landon? Seemed like he was here one day and gone the next. Such a waste. :lucyblah:

It is sad. Remember Michael Landon? Seemed like he was here one day and gone the next. Such a waste. :lucyblah:

Oh i know and Michael was one decent human being, you can't see his picture and not smile, fun on talk shows too back then. I never missed One ay at a Time, it was one of the few norman lear shows i ever liked. Val still starring on tv today, MacKenzie more down to earth nowadays and one of my faves the great Pat Harrington.

I just saw her in Los Angeles (in April) doing her "Applause" number and she was in fine form. From where I was sitting she looked exactly the same. Did not see her at the after-party though.

"Applause" starred lauren bacall. Bonnie's role was small but a stand-out. As the lead 'gypsy' she was nominated for a Tony.

I just saw her in Los Angeles (in April) doing her "Applause" number and she was in fine form. From where I was sitting she looked exactly the same. Did not see her at the after-party though.

"Applause" starred lauren bacall. Bonnie's role was small but a stand-out. As the lead 'gypsy' she was nominated for a Tony.

Yes, i believe her doing that number on one of those Broadway's best dvds is very very good.

• 5 months later...

Bonnie Franklin died today.

Bonnie Franklin, star of TV's 'One Day at a Time,' dies at 69

Bonnie Franklin, the actress who created an indelible television character playing a divorced, working mother of two headstrong daughters on the long-running series “One Day at a Time,” died Friday at her home in Los Angeles. She was 69.

The cause was complications from pancreatic cancer, her family announced.

By the mid-1970s, Franklin was a theater veteran who had earned a Tony nomination for her performance in the Broadway musical “Applause” when she was offered a different kind of role, one that was not then the usual fare on network television.

Developed by Norman Lear, the new CBS series would tell the story of Ann Romano, a divorced woman in her 30s raising two teenagers and building a new life for herself in her hometown of Indianapolis. Franklin’s character wasn’t the first divorced woman on network television but the role, like those of other characters in Lear’s groundbreaking sitcoms, was infused with a new level of social realism.

Franklin was nominated for an Emmy in 1982 and twice nominated for Golden Globe awards for her portrayal of Romano.

Over its run from 1975 to 1984, which made its tenure among the longest of Lear’s series, "One Day at a Time' tackled such provocative issues as teen sex, birth control and infidelity.

Bonnie Gail Franklin was born in Santa Monica on Jan. 6, 1944. Her parents were immigrants; her father, an investment banker, came to the U.S. from Russia and her mother came from Romania.

Throughout her career, Franklin was a multifaceted performer, putting together nightclub acts and working in both comedic and dramatic roles. Among the latter, she played the main character in a 1980 CBS television movie about birth control activist Margaret Sanger, a role Franklin described as one of her most significant.

In 1980, she married television and film producer Marvin Minoff, with whom she had worked on the set of “Portrait of a Rebel,” the movie about Sanger. They remained married until his death in 2009.

http://www.latimes.c...0,6152971.story

I mentioned this before, but I just saw her last year...I think it was May...recreating her "Applause" number with all the verge and vivacity she did 40 years ago when it was on Broadway; and looked no different than her "One Day" days. You'd never know she was in ill health. Her number was very early in the evening and they usually schedule the 'names' for later. She did not attend the after-party, at least I didn't see her.

Never a fan of "One Day", but at least it provided Bonnie with 10 years of steady work. Her part in Appluase was actually quite small, not really involved with the plot, but she, not the star Lauren Bacall, got the title tune as head of the gypsies. (Lauren got her chance to bray it during the finale). For some reason, "Applause" does not get revived. I think the score is fine, but musical theater buffs don't seem to like it. With "All About Eve" as its basis, I would think "Applause" would have had more lasting power. The original show was certainly a hit.

One Day, Alice and The Jeffersons all ran about the same 10 years ('75 to '85, give or take---as I recall) and I never understood why any of them lasted that long. Not knocking the actors, but none was compelling enough to tune in. I seem to remember all three being 8:30 or 9:30 shows with strong lead-ins. Don't know that they were ever strong enough to head up the hour.

Since Bonnie was a musical actress at heart, did they ever put on any "shows" on "One Day" where she could demonstrate her real talent?

I mentioned this before, but I just saw her last year...I think it was May...recreating her "Applause" number with all the verge and vivacity she did 40 years ago when it was on Broadway; and looked no different than her "One Day" days. You'd never know she was in ill health. Her number was very early in the evening and they usually schedule the 'names' for later. She did not attend the after-party, at least I didn't see her.

Never a fan of "One Day", but at least it provided Bonnie with 10 years of steady work. Her part in Appluase was actually quite small, not really involved with the plot, but she, not the star Lauren Bacall, got the title tune as head of the gypsies. (Lauren got her chance to bray it during the finale). For some reason, "Applause" does not get revived. I think the score is fine, but musical theater buffs don't seem to like it. With "All About Eve" as its basis, I would think "Applause" would have had more lasting power. The original show was certainly a hit.

One Day, Alice and The Jeffersons all ran about the same 10 years ('75 to '85, give or take---as I recall) and I never understood why any of them lasted that long. Not knocking the actors, but none was compelling enough to tune in. I seem to remember all three being 8:30 or 9:30 shows with strong lead-ins. Don't know that they were ever strong enough to head up the hour.

Since Bonnie was a musical actress at heart, did they ever put on any "shows" on "One Day" where she could demonstrate her real talent?

I liked One Day at a Time but you're right, it was nothing really special but SHE WAS. So natural and easygoing. I too was stunned when i saw her great work ON THE BOARDS, a great musical actress, so sad to have her go through something like pancreatic cancer where they go so fast. R I P Bonnie and be thankful you`re leaving so much great work behind as you leave us.

Here's Bonnie in the Applause Tony number.

I'm always shocked that they allowed the brief nudity in the telecast in 1970. I cannot imagine that happening today. It wasn't included three years later in the TV version.

I think people today think Applause is too dated and pales in comparison to All About Eve. The creative team couldn't get the rights to the screenplay, so they had to go back to the original short story, which doesn't include the memorable Addison DeWitt and Birdie characters or the witty dialogue. They finally got the screenplay rights when they were nearly done writing the show, so they could add "fasten your seatbelts" and some other fan favorite moments, but it was too late to include everything.

The show was a popular star driven summer stock show throughout the 1970s with actresses like Alexis Smith, Eleanor Parker, and Eva Gabor playing Margo, then it seemed to have faded away. The Papermill Playhouse in New Jersey did it with Stefanie Powers in the 1990s. This version was heavily revised by the creative team of Stouse & Adams and Comden & Green. I believe Bonnie's second act number "She's No Longer a Gypsy" was cut. I wonder if the writers finally realized that, although it's a great number, it doesn't make any sense. Eve was never a gypsy. The production was supposed to be a "pre-Broadway engagement," but I don't think it was well received and it never moved to Broadway. In 2008, New York City Center's Encores program produced Applause for a weekend. I saw it and enjoyed it. Christine Ebersole played Margo and I thought she was good, but she was very sick with the flu the entire run. I think a slightly younger Stockard Channing could have been excellent in the role. Applause is one of the very few pre-1980 Best Musical Tony Awards winners never to receive a full scale Broadway revival (Redhead, Fiorello!, Hallelujah Baby!, Two Gentlemen of Verona, and Raisin are also in this category).

Bonnie played Martha in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? in stock in the late 1990s. I cannot picture it at all.

Here's Bonnie in the Applause Tony number.

I'm always shocked that they allowed the brief nudity in the telecast in 1970. I cannot imagine that happening today. It wasn't included three years later in the TV version.

I think people today think Applause is too dated and pales in comparison to All About Eve. The creative team couldn't get the rights to the screenplay, so they had to go back to the original short story, which doesn't include the memorable Addison DeWitt and Birdie characters or the witty dialogue. They finally got the screenplay rights when they were nearly done writing the show, so they could add "fasten your seatbelts" and some other fan favorite moments, but it was too late to include everything.

The show was a popular star driven summer stock show throughout the 1970s with actresses like Alexis Smith, Eleanor Parker, and Eva Gabor playing Margo, then it seemed to have faded away. The Papermill Playhouse in New Jersey did it with Stefanie Powers in the 1990s. This version was heavily revised by the creative team of Stouse & Adams and Comden & Green. I believe Bonnie's second act number "She's No Longer a Gypsy" was cut. I wonder if the writers finally realized that, although it's a great number, it doesn't make any sense. Eve was never a gypsy. The production was supposed to be a "pre-Broadway engagement," but I don't think it was well received and it never moved to Broadway. In 2008, New York City Center's Encores program produced Applause for a weekend. I saw it and enjoyed it. Christine Ebersole played Margo and I thought she was good, but she was very sick with the flu the entire run. I think a slightly younger Stockard Channing could have been excellent in the role. Applause is one of the very few pre-1980 Best Musical Tony Awards winners never to receive a full scale Broadway revival (Redhead, Fiorello!, Hallelujah Baby!, Two Gentlemen of Verona, and Raisin are also in this category).

Bonnie played Martha in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? in stock in the late 1990s. I cannot picture it at all.

Ok, two things, i have that number also on one of those three Broadway's Greatest dvds, and i also was shocked about the nude scenes but they were just asses, not full frontal which shows like HAIR and OH CALCUTTA were doing at that time, movies like MIDNIGHT COWBOY were X rated and yet still winning BEST PICTURE Oscars, so maybe the nudity was inserted same way as those snippets of other award winning musicals like Cabaret and all were just that they had nothing, so they included other things to try and liven things up. Did you notice the tepid response to the show by the audience? Even though that was certainly a rousing number. How come you don't mention Lauren Bacall at all, she won the Tony for the role, but they never asked her to do this stock version? Also, did Bonnie ever get nominated for an Emmy for One Day at a Time?

Ok, two things, i have that number also on one of those three Broadway's Greatest dvds, and i also was shocked about the nude scenes but they were just asses, not full frontal which shows like HAIR and OH CALCUTTA were doing at that time, movies like MIDNIGHT COWBOY were X rated and yet still winning BEST PICTURE Oscars, so maybe the nudity was inserted same way as those snippets of other award winning musicals like Cabaret and all were just that they had nothing, so they included other things to try and liven things up. Did you notice the tepid response to the show by the audience? Even though that was certainly a rousing number. How come you don't mention Lauren Bacall at all, she won the Tony for the role, but they never asked her to do this stock version? Also, did Bonnie ever get nominated for an Emmy for One Day at a Time?

The brief nudity in the number was a spoof of Oh Calcutta. I'm just shocked that they could show it on network television in 1970. i bet they wouldn't show it at the Tonys today. I figured Lauren Bacall's name went without saying. Neil had already mentioned her. Bacall won the Tony and became the Toast of Broadway. When she left the show to do the London production, Rita Hayworth was hired to replace her. I don't think she had any experience in the theater. Rita's early Alzheimer's Disease made it impossible for her to remember her lines and she had to be replaced before she ever joined the show. All About Eve's Eve, Anne Baxter, finally took over the role and she played it for a while. Arlene Dahl replaced her and the show quickly closed. Pia Zadora played Bonnie's part in the Eleanor Parker company. :D

Bonnie was nominated for an Emmy in 1982 and she also received two Golden Globe nominations for One Day at a Time.

The brief nudity in the number was a spoof of Oh Calcutta. I'm just shocked that they could show it on network television in 1970. i bet they wouldn't show it at the Tonys today. I figured Lauren Bacall's name went without saying. Neil had already mentioned her. Bacall won the Tony and became the Toast of Broadway. When she left the show to do the London production, Rita Hayworth was hired to replace her. I don't think she had any experience in the theater. Rita's early Alzheimer's Disease made it impossible for her to remember her lines and she had to be replaced before she ever joined the show. All About Eve's Eve, Anne Baxter, finally took over the role and she played it for a while. Arlene Dahl replaced her and the show quickly closed. Pia Zadora played Bonnie's part in the Eleanor Parker company. :D

Bonnie was nominated for an Emmy in 1982 and she also received two Golden Globe nominations for One Day at a Time.

No, i just wondered how you could do this whole discourse on the show and not mention Lauren at all. So sad about Rita, i remember all the stories about her back then, instances on planes and such, nobody knew she had the Alzheimer's they thought she was going crazy. Your incedible knowledge of who played what, who then took over whatever role is just astounding, you should do a book on Broadway history. Pia Zadora, such a brilliant thespian, and for us, finally knowing one could BUY a Golden Globe.

Neil: Thank you for this posting; it almost takes me there; seeing it 'through your eyes', as it were. Keep 'em coming.

Loving you, JK

She was working on "The Young And The Restless" less than a year ago and she looked great on it. A truly talented one who left us too early. "One Day At A Time" was one of my favorites back then and it was nice that Bonnie Franklin guest starred on "Hot In Cleveland".

I know, wish ii had seen her on Hot in Cleveland. Seeing as her old ONE DAY co star was already on the show, she must have gotten her the gig. Apparently Valerie and even Mackenzie were with her at a women in comedy thing at the TV Hall of Fame together also.

I looked up "One Day"'s ratings and was surprised how consistent and high its ratings were for every season but its last. It was never a show that headed up the hour. Was always 8:30 or 9:30 and always preceded by another comedy. Initially it had the fortune of following MASH, but the ratings weren't far behind, Usually in the bottom half of the top ten, sometimes in the teens (see chart below!). When MASH moved from one night to another, One Day followed. Then for 3 seasons it followed Archie Bunker's Place"--the All in the Family sequel. ABP on Sundays at 8 following 60 minutes. Then "Day" at 8:30. In each of these seasons the ratings for ODAAT were slightly BETTER than ABP's. Very unusual since ODAAT had no competition that started at 8:30 for most of this time. .. In its entire run, there were only two seasons where ODAAT was opposite a show that started at the same time.

After ABP left, the Sunday night comedy block for ODAAT's last season was as follows: Alice, One Day, Jeffersons, Good Night Beantown (?!). Alice was 25th, jeffersons was 19th. Most likely ODAAT, sandwiched in-between, wasn't terribly far out of the top 30.

ODAAT's ratings season by season,

12 8 10 18 10 11 10 16 ? vs. its lead-in:

14 4 8 7 11 13 12 12 25

MASH ABP Jeffs Alice

• 10 months later...

Archived