Any word on Life with Lucy on DVD?

yendor1152

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk makes me hungry for the show to come out STAT!

I wonder if they'll interview Edie Gorme (sp?), another "lounge act" that was hopelessly old hat by 1986. That was the trouble with Life with Lucy--and also with the Lucy Goes to NBC special. Everything was so outdated, cheesy and "old school." Lucy was rather conservative, obviously. I remember reading that she detested All in the Family. Truth is, All in the Family basically rang the death knell for Here's Lucy and all the other "oldster" comedies on CBS at the time. Maybe that's why she hated it.

Wonder why Carol Burnett never made a guest appearance? That would've been riotous!

And I didn't particularly find Audrey Meadows funny--she wouldn't have made a good match for Lucy because she was too strong. Lucy needed someone who could easily be manipulated, like Ethel/Viv. Betty White would've been perfect!

I thought Audrey Meadows was sensational on the show and just what it needed, this show had way too much sugar, even Gale was declawed. Audrey's part was somewhat similar to the part I suggested in my letter to Madelyn Davis for Mary Jane Croft, whom I suggested be brought in as occasional guest as Gale's ex-wife and for a light comic Krystle/Alexis relationship with Lucy for affections of the grandkids. Lucy badly needed someone to pal with and/or scrap with on this show. I also pointed out that nobody on the show called Lucy "Lucy", I don't think anyone ever would besides Audrey (can't remember). Don't know if she considered my advice (who did I think I was, Lee Tannen :lucythrill:?) or this episode had already been written or filmed. The very best episodes were the ones with Audrey and Dena Dietrich which allowed feisty Lucy to resurface.

Queenie Smith played Keith Andes' mother in "Lucy and Joan" and one of the prison inmates in "Lucy Goes to Prison."

I forgot that she was in the 1936 version of Show Boat, so I have seen a young Queenie Smith in action.

whipple8.jpg

Queenie Smith in the '70s.

ddrrfl2sna2r2a2.jpg

Queenie Smith, I guess around the time she was romancing Cary.

OMG, i LOVED her, she dated Cary Grant??? Well, true she does look great in her early days, looks a bit like Lucy crossed with Mae West, dontchahin?

What about Ruth McDevitt? Didn't Lucy do something mean to her once?

Yeah, it was so vicious, she actually hit her foot as Ruthie was off her mark, Lucy had to fight her in court, represented herself, wore those suspenders, when she got off, she beat Ruth savagely with her own cane. Thank God Ruth LOVED being HIT, so she later got a part in Mame so they could repeat the whole process.

OMG, i LOVED her, she dated Cary Grant??? Well, true she does look great in her early days, looks a bit like Lucy crossed with Mae West, dontchahin?

LOL! You think everyone resembles Lucy back in the day :lucythrill: (but yes, I actually agree with you - she does look like a Lucy x Mae West!)

Lucy shot Ruth just to watch her die. :rolleyes: But seriously, the Ruth McDevitt story in The Lucy Book seems so far fetched to the point of absurdity.

Yeah, but, the story came from moron thompson and old queenie kenwith. They were famous for their great Lucy stories. Moron never forgave her for refusing his sexual advances and herbie kenworthless was pissed she wouldn't lend him any of her gowns.

I wonder if they'll interview Edie Gorme (sp?), another "lounge act" that was hopelessly old hat by 1986. That was the trouble with Life with Lucy--and also with the Lucy Goes to NBC special. Everything was so outdated, cheesy and "old school." Lucy was rather conservative, obviously. I remember reading that she detested All in the Family. Truth is, All in the Family basically rang the death knell for Here's Lucy and all the other "oldster" comedies on CBS at the time. Maybe that's why she hated it.

Wonder why Carol Burnett never made a guest appearance? That would've been riotous!

Gorme's rendition of the theme song for Life with Lucy was the best thing about the show. As for All in the Family, what Lucy HATED was the constant use of those SPIC, HEBE, MIC and the like, because she felt the character never paid penance for his ignorance, she stated that herself. The only thing good about that show was Edith, basically a Lucy Ricardo dingbat clone.

Yeah, hopefully they interview quite a few people involved in the show although it's probably wishful thinking. I'm not sure everyone would want to be reminded or known for being on the short lived show :( Sad really - it's a part of history - good or bad. Yeah, I'm sure if it had continued there would have been some great guests. The opening song was cool but I just felt like it dragged on - I'm pretty sure it went as long as the actual show did! :lucythrill:

She had a weird addiction though, she used to eat the tips of her gloves. :lucythrill:

LOL, worse case of nail-biting I ever did see, can't even stop when wearing gloves!

And you're right about the resemblence, I too saw a Lucy look about her the minute I saw the photo and the "crossed with Mae West" makes it perfect. What do you get cross Mae West with Lucille Ball? An old gal who beds her young studs and then plays backgammon with them?

LOL, worse case of nail-biting I ever did see, can't even stop when wearing gloves!

And you're right about the resemblence, I too saw a Lucy look about her the minute I saw the photo and the "crossed with Mae West" makes it perfect. What do you get cross Mae West with Lucille Ball? An old gal who beds her young studs and then plays backgammon with them?

If they know what's good for them, they'd better let her win.

She must have been persistent because to get out of doing the show, Cary.....died (November 1986).

Possibly your BEST line ever! :lucythrill:

There were rumors that he faked his own death.

Which comes to think of it might have been a good premise for the episode (At SOME time in the show, Cary would have to have said "Lucy, Lucy, Lucy")

Thanks for the Bob Hope episode synopsis. One of the areas I find most fascinating is what story lines were considered, then dropped; scripts or treatments that were written, submitted and rejected; guest stars that were courted but never appeared. AND when coming up with the premise for The Lucy Show and Life with Lucy, what other formats might have been entertained?

Bad reviews or good reviews, all fanatical Lucy fans will be grateful for the release of this short lived series onto DVD! :peachonthebeach:

Thank you. Forget about the crappy reviews, us fan deserve this rarity of LWL. Fans will eat this DVD up for their collection. I know I will, I personally will be more excited about this release than any other release because of the rarity and imagine what they could do to make it look better.

Thank you. Forget about the crappy reviews, us fan deserve this rarity of LWL. Fans will eat this DVD up for their collection. I know I will, I personally will be more excited about this release than any other release because of the rarity and imagine what they could do to make it look better.

Good God are you ever in for a bitter disapointment. But the woman did 1000 shows and only a handful were not that great, that's still the best batting average ever. :lucy1::lucy2:

It would be great if they did some clean-up work and somehow lowered Lucy's eyebrows so they're in a natural position! And I'd also like a Peter Graves commentary. Oh, wait, he's dead. How about Audrey Meadows or Gale? John Ritter? Hmm. Let me get back to you...

Sorry, but they are all gone also.

Good God are you ever in for a bitter disapointment. But the woman did 1000 shows and only a handful were not that great, that's still the best batting average ever. :lucy1::lucy2:

I understand that completely but because of that I want it even more. The specials and rare things like this are my favorite to see and own, if even shitty! Things I wouldn't think I'd ever see. I get a kick out of those things as a fan.

Archived