Any word on Life with Lucy on DVD?

yendor1152

Wouldn't it have been great if somewhere along the line--and I doubt this could've been done with Life with Lucy, since he was ill--Desi had made an appearance in a Lucy show? They apparently got along, except for her infrequent dumping on him, and were business partners long after their divorce. Think of the ratings that episode would've garnered! Wonder why that never happened?

Yes, but during Here's Lucy, with their two kids there also. And when did Lucy ever DUMP on Desi? She just stated a FACT that he had already repeatedly said about himself, THAT HE HAD TO TEAR DOWN WHATEVER HE HAD BUILT UP. Her talking about his womanizing ways was yet another FACT.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get off my back lady! LOL! Beau said he would DO them next time he's here, this last visit was to hook me up computer wise, so you should have them in a few weeks or less.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm just kidding Claude! We all have different schedules! You are already doing me a favor in itself so I don't mind. :lucysmirk:

Yes, but during Here's Lucy, with their two kids there also. And when did Lucy ever DUMP on Desi? She just stated a FACT that he had already repeatedly said about himself, THAT HE HAD TO TEAR DOWN WHATEVER HE HAD BUILT UP. Her talking about his womanizing ways was yet another FACT.

Well, there's that famous interview with Barbara Walters where Lucy, I felt, was very unkind to Desi. I mean, at that point in her history, we got it already. He was a womanizer, he gambled, he was obsessed with work. Ok, fine. But he also was the power behind Lucy's superstar status, the father of her two children, and it would've been much more gracious of her to just leave the past in the past. Desi's imperfections didn't need to be mentioned again and again. I don't recall him ever saying one negative thing about her in public. I just wish she could've been more gracious.

It reminded me of the situation with Cher and Sonny. When they broke up, Cher did interview after interview in which she criticized him for being "controlling, unyielding, too serious," etc. Yet, again, without him in her life, where would she have been? He created Cher, reinvented her when needed, and paved the way for the solo career she had. In the meantime, when she dumped him, he was made to look like a buffoon. And a mean one, at that. Again, like Desi, I never once read a negative from Sonny with regards to Cher. If anything, he was always very supportive. Yet, she continued to crap on him almost right up until his death. When that happened, she did a complete about-face and became all teary-eyed whenever Sonny's name was mentioned. She spoke at his funeral and cried. She went on the Oprah show and cried. She hosted a show of Sonny and Cher clips and cried. But when she had the chance to be gracious when he was STILL ALIVE, she chose not to. Same with Lucy.

Well, there's that famous interview with Barbara Walters where Lucy, I felt, was very unkind to Desi. I mean, at that point in her history, we got it already. He was a womanizer, he gambled, he was obsessed with work. Ok, fine. But he also was the power behind Lucy's superstar status, the father of her two children, and it would've been much more gracious of her to just leave the past in the past. Desi's imperfections didn't need to be mentioned again and again. I don't recall him ever saying one negative thing about her in public. I just wish she could've been more gracious.

It reminded me of the situation with Cher and Sonny. When they broke up, Cher did interview after interview in which she criticized him for being "controlling, unyielding, too serious," etc. Yet, again, without him in her life, where would she have been? He created Cher, reinvented her when needed, and paved the way for the solo career she had. In the meantime, when she dumped him, he was made to look like a buffoon. And a mean one, at that. Again, like Desi, I never once read a negative from Sonny with regards to Cher. If anything, he was always very supportive. Yet, she continued to crap on him almost right up until his death. When that happened, she did a complete about-face and became all teary-eyed whenever Sonny's name was mentioned. She spoke at his funeral and cried. She went on the Oprah show and cried. She hosted a show of Sonny and Cher clips and cried. But when she had the chance to be gracious when he was STILL ALIVE, she chose not to. Same with Lucy.

No it's not the same with Lucy. That Baba Wawa interview is the most misunderstood of Lucy's interviews. Desi did say those things and she was just repeating WHAT HE SAID IN THE FIRST PLACE ABOUT HIMSELF. He said he was a 'loser' in that respect, therefore, she was just reiterating what he said. She was gracious to Desi, where did you get that she wasn't? They remained close friends (and I really don't doubt more than just friends) after their divorce and until Desi's death. Lucy constantly praised Desi for his hand in making ILL such a success and in his business acumen WHILE HE WAS STILL ALIVE.

I don't know how anyone could think that of Lucy, knowing the couple's history and what he put her through with his womanizing and alcoholism. He was still the love of her life and the father of her 2 kids. That's so ignorant to even think that. :lucydisgust:

No it's not the same with Lucy. That Baba Wawa interview is the most misunderstood of Lucy's interviews. Desi did say those things and she was just repeating WHAT HE SAID IN THE FIRST PLACE ABOUT HIMSELF. He said he was a 'loser' in that respect, therefore, she was just reiterating what he said. She was gracious to Desi, where did you get that she wasn't? They remained close friends (and I really don't doubt more than just friends) after their divorce and until Desi's death. Lucy constantly praised Desi for his hand in making ILL such a success and in his business acumen WHILE HE WAS STILL ALIVE.

I don't know how anyone could think that of Lucy, knowing the couple's history and what he put her through with his womanizing and alcoholism. He was still the love of her life and the father of her 2 kids. That's so ignorant to even think that. :lucydisgust:

Sorry, but I'm definitely NOT ignorant and I'm not so starry-eyed about Lucy that I can't see the forest for the trees. What is it with this board that people get so nasty? Amazing.

I watched that Barbara Walters special when it first aired and have seen snippets of it since, and Lucy wasn't merely repeating what Desi said. She talked about how Gary had provided her with a real home, that before, they had "houses," not homes. Then SHE called Desi a loser. She didn't say, "oh, Desi refers to himself as a loser, and I'm merely repeating his words." I don't know what interview YOU saw, but it was obvious to me that Lucy came across as very, very bitter. That was in 1979 or 1980, and by that time, everyone knew Desi had been a dog. He'd admitted it himself. But to hear Lucy say it, and with such acrimony in her voice, well, it was a bit unsettling.

Yes, I know she gave him credit where credit was due. But she also rarely missed an opportunity--when the opportunity presented itself--to crap on him. Sorry it doesn't jive with your image of Lucy, but it's all part of history.

Sorry, but I'm definitely NOT ignorant and I'm not so starry-eyed about Lucy that I can't see the forest for the trees. What is it with this board that people get so nasty? Amazing.

I watched that Barbara Walters special when it first aired and have seen snippets of it since, and Lucy wasn't merely repeating what Desi said. She talked about how Gary had provided her with a real home, that before, they had "houses," not homes. Then SHE called Desi a loser. She didn't say, "oh, Desi refers to himself as a loser, and I'm merely repeating his words." I don't know what interview YOU saw, but it was obvious to me that Lucy came across as very, very bitter. That was in 1979 or 1980, and by that time, everyone knew Desi had been a dog. He'd admitted it himself. But to hear Lucy say it, and with such acrimony in her voice, well, it was a bit unsettling.

Yes, I know she gave him credit where credit was due. But she also rarely missed an opportunity--when the opportunity presented itself--to crap on him. Sorry it doesn't jive with your image of Lucy, but it's all part of history.

I'm not starry-eyed. I saw the interview and know what you're talking about. Lucy was not always the most articulate person and some things did come out wrong. She didn't have acrimony in her voice in my opinion, that's just the way she talked.

Sorry you think we're all nasty on this board. Meh, not really. :wacko:

Puhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhfrigginpleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee, it WAS the Babs Walters interview I was talking about, she called him a LOSER, then elaborated that even HE said about himself that EVERYTHING HE BUILT UP, HE HAD TO L O S E . Lucy NEVER talked about him when being interviewed, only when that bitch Walters brought it up. And Lucy always acknowledged his contribution to her career. But like Cher, both ladies would have done just fine without those two who would have been NOTHING without Lucy and Cher. Desi DID say things about Lucy many times, about her verbal attacks on him mostly, well, yeah, she was supposed to stay quiet about his womanizing and drinking, even when he was sinking their studio into the ground as he was drunk by ten am. If she hadn't had seperate accounts financially, he would have gambled away everything they both worked so hard to earn. That's why when they died, their father left them debts but she left the kids millions.

I'm not starry-eyed. I saw the interview and know what you're talking about. Lucy was not always the most articulate person and some things did come out wrong. She didn't have acrimony in her voice in my opinion, that's just the way she talked.

Sorry you think we're all nasty on this board. Meh, not really. :wacko:

We're not nasty at all, we just, like Lucy, state things the way they really were, not this fantasy dreamed up by publicists. He must work for the romney campaign, some people out there believe the lies that come out all the time from politicians and they don't recognize a hard working caring President from one who's all over the place telling anybody what they want to hear to get elected.

We're not nasty at all, we just, like Lucy, state things the way they really were, not this fantasy dreamed up by publicists. He must work for the romney campaign, some people out there believe the lies that come out all the time from politicians and they don't recognize a hard working caring President from one who's all over the place telling anybody what they want to hear to get elected.

You don't think it's nasty to make a crack like, "he must work for the Romney campaign?" I thought this was a forum for a free exchange of ideas, but apparently if you dare criticize Lucille Ball in any way, even when justified, the fangs come out and people become nasty. Not everyone, mind you. But the ones that do are apparently the only ones responding.

And for anyone to say that Cher would be a success without Sonny is living in a dream world or has no grasp on history. Cher was 16 years old when she met Sonny and moved in with him. She had no gumption to make something of herself, she didn't even graduate from high school! Sonny was solely responsible for the creation of Sonny and Cher. Even Cher's said that on many occasions.

And sorry, but my impression of that Barbara Walters interview was obviously different than the one you have. She sounded very bitter to me, and it was a tiring mantra. We all got it, Lucy, ok? Desi was a drunk, he was this, he was that. But he was also a genius who contributed mightily to her career after her movie options dried up. And he continued to do it right up until his death. She did give him credit, yes, when asked about the creation of I Love Lucy. But when she went off on a tangent about their personal life, that's where things went south. She just never got over it and had to make sure everyone remembered what a cad he was.

Talk about beating a dead horse!

Lucy never meant to shit on Desi's life ever. Once again she said Desi was a loser. Not like the term everyday people use. He had to build everything up and tear it down. Plus in that interview she said she still didn't understand what went wrong and said its his problem. Which it was if he didn't womanize and have an alcohol problem they would've stayed together. I'm pretty sure if Lucy was asked about that "loser answer" she would basically say what I just said. But then there's other interviews where Desi is mentioned and she gets starry eyed and smiley. Lucy loved Desi and they had a great relationship after the divorce. Calling each other almost daily, keeping their love letters in a drawer, and who knows they could've done a 'few things' after it all was said and done. Lucy wouldn't hurt Desi for the world. She is just stating the truth. Of course it comes off as bitter, she was heartbroken.

This isn't blinding ourselves from Lucy being harsh. It's about knowing how much Lucy loved Desi.

Lucy never meant to shit on Desi's life ever. Once again she said Desi was a loser. Not like the term everyday people use. He had to build everything up and tear it down. Plus in that interview she said she still didn't understand what went wrong and said its his problem. Which it was if he didn't womanize and have an alcohol problem they would've stayed together. I'm pretty sure if Lucy was asked about that "loser answer" she would basically say what I just said. But then there's other interviews where Desi is mentioned and she gets starry eyed and smiley. Lucy loved Desi and they had a great relationship after the divorce. Calling each other almost daily, keeping their love letters in a drawer, and who knows they could've done a 'few things' after it all was said and done. Lucy wouldn't hurt Desi for the world. She is just stating the truth. Of course it comes off as bitter, she was heartbroken.

This isn't blinding ourselves from Lucy being harsh. It's about knowing how much Lucy loved Desi.

Well said, Annaleigh. But get ready to be called starry-eyed and stuck up Lucy's ass. And you'll no doubt get a minus point for your post by someone. ::throws out Midol to the Lounge:: LOL

I'm sure Lucy didn't mean it in a negative light - she loved Desi to the end and it was probably just taken out of context but I can see how it could be misconstrued. It's not like she planned what she was going to say so she just said it without thinking. Capish? LOL!

I'm sure Lucy didn't mean it in a negative light - she loved Desi to the end and it was probably just taken out of context but I can see how it could be misconstrued. It's not like she planned what she was going to say so she just said it without thinking. Capish? LOL!

Exactly! She's human and with critics and publisists of course it will be taken out of context. Lucy would never wanna perceive Desi that way.

And sorry, but my impression of that Barbara Walters interview was obviously different than the one you have. She sounded very bitter to me, and it was a tiring mantra. We all got it, Lucy, ok? Desi was a drunk, he was this, he was that. But he was also a genius who contributed mightily to her career after her movie options dried up. And he continued to do it right up until his death. She did give him credit, yes, when asked about the creation of I Love Lucy. But when she went off on a tangent about their personal life, that's where things went south. She just never got over it and had to make sure everyone remembered what a cad he was.

Talk about beating a dead horse!

Oh i get it now, you must be Lucie Arnaz, as i think she's the only one who believes her daddy was a Saint and her mom a real bitch from hell. Could you get it through your thick skull that the Babs Walters interview was the only time Lucy got asked about Desi so she was honest in her reply. Yes, he was such a genius, sold the rights to the greatest tv show ever made for 4 and a half million, which he then spent with more money borrowed to purchase Desilu that he then ran into the ground and she had to take it over to get her money back. Then, instead of living on the interest the money she gave him to purchse his share, he lived and spent the capital and soon was out of money. He then tried another sitcom and it failed rather fast, seems he was lacking someone of Lucy's caliber to have it last, after all, in his own words, SHE WAS THE SHOW! And some of that genius of course were the ideas that he stole from Jess and others and took credit for. As he was known as Mr Ball, Lucy made it her duty to build him up to anybody who would listen.

THANK YOU FOR PUTTING IT ALL SO WELL. And you forgot about his gambling problem too. Once gambling away his entire band's salary.

Well said, Annaleigh. But get ready to be called starry-eyed and stuck up Lucy's ass. And you'll no doubt get a minus point for your post by someone. ::throws out Midol to the Lounge:: LOL

Taylor, you've known me a long time, do i not criticize Lucy regularly amid my fawning? I just calls'em as i sees'em.

Ok, lessee if we can explain this statement clearly once and for all . . . Desi was a LOSER, everything he built up he had to then lose, and he claims he's still that way today, THEREFORE DESI IS SAYING YES, HE IS A LOSER, IN THE SENSE THAT EVERYTHING HE BUILDS UP, HE THEN HAS TO LOSE, got that? Nothing taken out of context, just an honest statement.

Exactly! She's human and with critics and publisists of course it will be taken out of context. Lucy would never wanna perceive Desi that way.

It's not critics and publicists taking it out of context, it's the word L O S E R that fans and people in general are taking exception to and yet he said that about himself.

Yep yep. :lucythrill:

My God, even when i talk about Gary, i state the facts, good and bad, great as a hand holder, and he didn't drink or gamble too much and he never screwed anyone else while married to her, THAT WE KNOW OF ANYWAY, security for her, stability, but just lousy as guiding her career.

And if Cher had not been helped by Sonny, it would have been someone else who would have guided her career and she still would be a superstar today, talent like that always comes out somehow. Oh as for this Cher thing being off topic, it's not, Cher was a HUGE Lucy fan, her mom even appearing on ILL one time, LOL!

Ok, lessee if we can explain this statement clearly once and for all . . . Desi was a LOSER, everything he built up he had to then lose, and he claims he's still that way today, THEREFORE DESI IS SAYING YES, HE IS A LOSER, IN THE SENSE THAT EVERYTHING HE BUILDS UP, HE THEN HAS TO LOSE, got that? Nothing taken out of context, just an honest statement.

I know that bubbele, but to some people the word loser means "dickhead", "wanker" - well, that's what it means here in Australia! LOL! Even the word "wanker" is an Australian term so that probably won't even make sense! :lucythrill: (go to urban dictionary - that will explain everything)

Archived