Lucie Arnaz to Appear in "The Women"

JoeySanJoaquin

OMG, this is the gayest-sounding thing I've heard in ages -- and it sounds like it'll be a hoot!

-J

:lucythrill:

The Women

1/19/13 @ 7:30 p.m.

Palm Springs Art Museum

Coyote StageWorks presents "The Women:

A Special One-Night-Only Gala Benefiting Coyote StageWorks

Gold-diggers, schemers, gossips, and social climbers—these are the women who populate this 1936 comedy by Clare Boothe Luce. With their first ever gala benefit, Coyote StageWorks brings you a very special edition, staged reading of this hilarious catfight that made "jungle red" nail polish synonymous with sharp-clawed backstabbing.

Scheduled to appear are: Lucie Arnaz (8), Kaye Ballard (1), Nancy Bleiweiss-Nevil (2), Mary Jo Catlett (3), Carole Cook (4), Mo Gaffney (5), Helene Galen, Beth Grant (6), Barbara Keller, Michele Lee (7), and many surprise guests. Special appearance by Charles Busch, plus many other surprise guests (artists are subject to change without notice).

Ticket Prices: $75 - $500

Cast 'Splanations:

1. Kaye Ballard LIVE! How cool! Mother Buell in her golden years! ;)

2. Most famous from San Francisco's Beach Blanket Babylon, the hilarious North Beach musical comedy "revue" which has run for what seems 100 years! Bleiweiss was it's early "breakout" star and it's nice to see her name again -- always wondered what became of her!

3. Best known to some as Mrs. Garrett's replacement on Diffrent Strokes; these days she's the voice of Mrs.Puff on SpongeBob Squarepants! :)

4. Come ON!!!

5. Best known as partner with Kathy Najimy on many projects, perhaps most notably The Kathy & Mo Show.

6. Hilarious character actress perhaps best know for appearance in many Del Shores' projects, particularly the TV version of Sordid Lives. Has a funny cameo in the can't recommend it highly enough Lane Twins documentary, From Hollywood to Dollywood.

7. #8's dear friend and Knots Landing survivor.

8. If I have to explain who this is you shouldn't be on this board! :lucyhaha:

I'd love to be at this. Lucie, Carole, Kaye, and Michele are four of the most hilarious women in all of show biz. I wonder who is going to play which part. Carole seems perfect for the Countess. Lucie would be terrific in the lead role of Mary. Michele Lee could make a great Sylvia, although that could also be a good role for Lucie.

Can't ANYONE around here record this??? I mean dvds of this would sell... JEEZE why o WHY do I have to live in the midwest!!

I dunno but every time I see your "handle" (Irene Kampen Trip) I laugh out loud! I don't know who you really are but I've got to hand it to you, that was INSPIRED!!! :lucythrill:

I'd love to be at this. Lucie, Carole, Kaye, and Michele are four of the most hilarious women in all of show biz. I wonder who is going to play which part. Carole seems perfect for the Countess. Lucie would be terrific in the lead role of Mary. Michele Lee could make a great Sylvia, although that could also be a good role for Lucie.

I of course agree however upon a little reflection, I find it a little oh...what should the word be??....Interesting that a preponderance of the cast is on the downhill side of 60-something...for parts that were originally written & (BRILLIANTLY!) played by other stellar actresses primarily in their 30s and early 40s.....Just sayin' ! :lucythrill:

I of course agree however upon a little reflection, I find it a little oh...what should the word be??....Interesting that a preponderance of the cast is on the downhill side of 60-something...for parts that were originally written & (BRILLIANTLY!) played by other stellar actresses primarily in their 30s and early 40s.....Just sayin' ! :lucythrill:

It's a staged reading and not an actual production of the play. That usually allows performers who don't usually fit the role to play it. There was just a staged reading of Romeo and Juliet in New York to raise money for the Public Theatre. The title characters were played by Meryl Streep and Kevin Kline, who in reality are about 45+ years too old for those roles. I'm sure they were brilliant. It's only a reading; you're supposed to use your imagination.

It's a staged reading and not an actual production of the play. That usually allows performers who don't usually fit the role to play it. There was just a staged reading of Romeo and Juliet in New York to raise money for the Public Theatre. The title characters were played by Meryl Streep and Kevin Kline, who in reality are about 45+ years too old for those roles. I'm sure they were brilliant. It's only a reading; you're supposed to use your imagination.

I'm going to try to go to this. Will try to record the audio (let's see, if I wear a long black wig to cover up the recorder and sit in a swivel chair with wheels and hold on to Victor Buono's coattail...)

Speaking of Irene Kampen: I wonder how much the "Based on the book by...." credit put into her coffers over the years, because I see it's still in the closing credits during the far-afield 6th season.

I doubt Irene's character ever went to Stewardess School, put on a musical or wrote a play for Joan Crawford.

Gee, thanks for your snarky clarification. :lucyeww:

Some of us old folks actually know what a "staged reading" is. Some of us have actually attended said stagings (e.g., "Love Letters"; Dustin Lance Black's "8", etc.) and while it's certainly not the same as seeing a fully-mounted production, they're enjoyable nonetheless and of course, offer those as in this case that normally would have no business playing certain parts -- given they're now old enough to play the character's mothers, if such part existed in the piece -- the chance to jump on 'em to do them.

More power to 'em! (Having attended such productions, however, in my humble opinion it makes it a bit more difficult to "suspend disbelief" when you're trying to get lost in the moment but you're watching say, an 80 year old woman "playing" the part of a gal a third her age.

:lucyhmm:

Just sayin'...

Archived