How do certain costumes get picked per scene?

This has bugged me for years--how do the costume people pick out what someone is going to wear in a certain scene? Does the color of their shirt/blouse have to do with how they're feeling? Or say, the dress that Lucy wears when she mentions her late husband or an old boyfriend is actually a dress that he bought her, and we don't know that? This goes for ANY TV show.

I mean, when they're at a dude ranch or playing baseball, or in a 1920s speakeasy sketch or whatever, it's pretty obvious why they're wearing those outfits.

This has bugged me for years--how do the costume people pick out what someone is going to wear in a certain scene? Does the color of their shirt/blouse have to do with how they're feeling? Or say, the dress that Lucy wears when she mentions her late husband or an old boyfriend is actually a dress that he bought her, and we don't know that? This goes for ANY TV show.

I mean, when they're at a dude ranch or playing baseball, or in a 1920s speakeasy sketch or whatever, it's pretty obvious why they're wearing those outfits.

I don't know but with Lucy I think she picked out a lot of her own clothes to wear on the shows. My guess is unless it was for a specific scene that required a specific costume, the actors/actresses picked what they wanted to wear themselves.

The costumes are all decided before the show airs. I have no doubt Lucy would have had a say in what she wore on the show. The costume person would pick out the clothes for the show and then Lucy would give it the once look over etc.

yes, but why did they choose that particular shirt for that scene? Just because?

I don't know but with Lucy I think she picked out a lot of her own clothes to wear on the shows. My guess is unless it was for a specific scene that required a specific costume, the actors/actresses picked what they wanted to wear themselves.

I thought that today as i watched her wear the Yours Mine and Ours blue silky flowered dress that she had worn in the restaurant scene with her gyno date, while sitting on Mr Dupre's couch which also happened to be BLUE. My God, the audience even applauded when she came out in it, it was so nice. AND i loved seeing the sketches from Mr Stevenson's work, why do they always look better on paper than they do when they're actually worn?

yes, but why did they choose that particular shirt for that scene? Just because?

Ok, if it's for an office scene, something businesslike, if it's for an outing in a club, something dressy or fancy, you know, normal everyday things the average person in her shoes would wear. She was playing a secretary so the salary would be low, so she kept wearing the same things over and over and things had to be what the average secretary would wear. When she went to Hollywood and mingled with celbes, everything was brought up a notch, again to fit the situations.

I thought that today as i watched her wear the Yours Mine and Ours blue silky flowered dress that she had worn in the restaurant scene with her gyno date, while sitting on Mr Dupre's couch which also happened to be BLUE. My God, the audience even applauded when she came out in it, it was so nice. AND i loved seeing the sketches from Mr Stevenson's work, why do they always look better on paper than they do when they're actually worn?

You mean they look better on paper and not on Lucy? Are you criticizing my Lucy?! Lord knows I'm so starry-eyed I can't see straight. :peachonthebeach:

You mean they look better on paper and not on Lucy? Are you criticizing my Lucy?! Lord knows I'm so starry-eyed I can't see straight. :peachonthebeach:

No, i'm not, i'm saying that A L L sketches done for anybody always look so much better than the end product, they always sketch these skinny paper thin models and that's not the way it is in real life i guess. No, Lucy has always kept herself in great shape and never ballooned the way others did in the business.

No, i'm not, i'm saying that A L L sketches done for anybody always look so much better than the end product, they always sketch these skinny paper thin models and that's not the way it is in real life i guess. No, Lucy has always kept herself in great shape and never ballooned the way others did in the business.

Whew! I thought I'd have to get all pissy up in this beeyotch. Hehehehe.

Yeah, I agree. There are very few outfits of this period that she doesn't rock. :marionstrong:

Whew! I thought I'd have to get all pissy up in this beeyotch. Hehehehe.

Yeah, I agree. There are very few outfits of this period that she doesn't rock. :marionstrong:

OMG. yes, that dress with matching lining on the coat in the first ep, the Berle one which has always been a favorite. Lucy loved Doris Day movies and her wardrobe in them and Doris had a movie where she wore a fancier version of that for evening, all sparkly, i'm sure Lucy saw that and asked for one like it but more subdued for daytime and a secertary's salary, LOL!

And let's not forget that this is at the time she had been on stupid ass blackwell's worst dressed list earlier in the sixties. BUT, some celebs loved appearing on that list as it meant you had to be a superstar as only BIG NAMES ever made the list, i think Liz Taylor appeared as often as Lucy did.

Archived