Here's Lucy--Lucy and Jim Bailey

What does everyone think of that episode? Also, do you think Jim Bailey is gay or straight since he does a lot of female impersonations? I wonder why the REAL Phyllis Diller couldn't get booked on the show.

But, he does a great impersonation of her and he loved Lucy. I loved when he made fun of Uncle Harry. And I loved Kim's outfit.

"Your hair looks like a sunset through bloodshot eyes!"

What does everyone think of that episode? Also, do you think Jim Bailey is gay or straight since he does a lot of female impersonations? I wonder why the REAL Phyllis Diller couldn't get booked on the show.

But, he does a great impersonation of her and he loved Lucy. I loved when he made fun of Uncle Harry. And I loved Kim's outfit.

"Your hair looks like a sunset through bloodshot eyes!"

I can't figure out if he's gay or not. I know that Lucie wanted to date him real bad but she never succeeded...so...hmm. LOL :lucythrill:

I can't figure out if he's gay or not. I know that Lucie wanted to date him real bad but she never succeeded...so...hmm. LOL :lucythrill:

I believe his partner accompanied him to Jamestown and was sitting in one of the boxes. At least, I think he was acknowledged as his partner at some point during the show, or during the after party. Could be mistaken though.

Interesting that nobody has given Lucy her due on this issue that I'm aware of but I suspect Jim Bailey may have been the first female impersonator to ever appear on a sitcom outside of "joke" characters like Jetherine Bodine or gags of series regulars in disguise. Given Lucy's strong following with conservative family audiences it was a pretty brave move (of course she also has always had huge followings with liberals and every other group you could imagine). Also on the Ginger Rogers episode, Ginger's male secretary clearly was written and played with a suggestion of being a gay charascter.

Interesting that nobody has given Lucy her due on this issue that I'm aware of but I suspect Jim Bailey may have been the first female impersonator to ever appear on a sitcom outside of "joke" characters like Jetherine Bodine or gags of series regulars in disguise. Given Lucy's strong following with conservative family audiences it was a pretty brave move (of course she also has always had huge followings with liberals and every other group you could imagine). Also on the Ginger Rogers episode, Ginger's male secretary clearly was written and played with a suggestion of being a gay charascter.

True, never thought of that, but Ginger's secretary AND Charles Nelson Riley in the stuff that doesn't work show were clearly GAY. BUT, there were also some stories about Lucy's real life worries about her daughter D A T I N G Jim and her making the joke, they probably try each other's clothes or something to that effect.

I forgot what he said about Uncle Harry, but it made me laugh.

And I loved the Fever number. Did I mention that I loved Kim's sexy outfit when she was emceeing?

It's one of those episodes that I can watch multiple times. So, since Jim acknowledged his partner that means he is gay?

Earth to Ched, earth to Ched, the fact that he's gay means he's gay, LOL! The acknowledging of his partner just means he doesn't care if the world knows that he is gay. :marionstrong:

What does everyone think of that episode?

On the Here's Lucy scale, this is a great one....except for the "Fever" finale. It's well done and all, but not what I tuned in a Lucy show to see. Too polished. It just doesn't fit the episode.

A better ending would have been the surprise appearance of the REAL Phyllis Diller doing a Jackie Gleason cameo. By all accounts they knew each other well. It's a wonder Phyllis was never a guest star.

Lucy is in fine form and looks wonderful..like she does every time she puts on that particular wig.

Perhaps the only (or one of the few) episodes where Kim plots with Mary Jane!

Highlights:

-the opening scene when Mary Jane applauds because Lucy is NOT going to be in the show, prompting that great GLARE from Lucy. Mary Jane: "I was clapping for the great job you did last year".

- Lucy's interaction with Mayor Yorty, the LA mayor who had national prominence, thanks mainly to Johnny Carson monologues. Lucy seizes the opportunity to complain about noisy trash collectors.

-Jim trying to act "butch" in his dressing room after the act.

-Some great lines: Harry: "I've been filled with ambition to be a politician". Lucy: "I'm sure you're full of what it takes to be a politician."

Interesting that they avoid calling Jim a female impersonator. Instead he's an "impresssionist". I don't know how he billed himself. Jim got a lot of exposure around this time; made an appearance on "Carol Burnett". Don't know of any other female impersonator that was 'allowed' on national TV. You never saw Charles Pearce.

On the Here's Lucy scale, this is a great one....except for the "Fever" finale. It's well done and all, but not what I tuned in a Lucy show to see. Too polished. It just doesn't fit the episode.

A better ending would have been the surprise appearance of the REAL Phyllis Diller doing a Jackie Gleason cameo. By all accounts they knew each other well. It's a wonder Phyllis was never a guest star.

Lucy is in fine form and looks wonderful..like she does every time she puts on that particular wig.

Perhaps the only (or one of the few) episodes where Kim plots with Mary Jane!

Highlights:

-the opening scene when Mary Jane applauds because Lucy is NOT going to be in the show, prompting that great GLARE from Lucy. Mary Jane: "I was clapping for the great job you did last year".

- Lucy's interaction with Mayor Yorty, the LA mayor who had national prominence, thanks mainly to Johnny Carson monologues. Lucy seizes the opportunity to complain about noisy trash collectors.

-Jim trying to act "butch" in his dressing room after the act.

-Some great lines: Harry: "I've been filled with ambition to be a politician". Lucy: "I'm sure you're full of what it takes to be a politician."

Interesting that they avoid calling Jim a female impersonator. Instead he's an "impresssionist". I don't know how he billed himself. Jim got a lot of exposure around this time; made an appearance on "Carol Burnett". Don't know of any other female impersonator that was 'allowed' on national TV. You never saw Charles Pearce.

OMG, what a great idea, Diller doing a cameo a la Jackie Gleason, you should have been in that writers room. And i dunno about in the US, but here in Queerbec, they had this female impersonator from France who was called Guilda, he even did Lucy, and he was very popular with straight audiences, it was like, we're paying to see an illusion, and there was lots of entertainment involved, nobody made nasty gay remarks, he was treated like a great entertainer. The scene you describe where Jim is trying to act macho was cringe worthy for me, so fake. BUT i always liked Jim and always watched him on various shows doing his act.

True, never thought of that, but Ginger's secretary AND Charles Nelson Riley in the stuff that doesn't work show were clearly GAY.

And let's not forget the nelliest of nellies: Eva Gabor's assistant who made "Spike" look like John Wayne. I do love that the name of Ginger's secretary was Spike---wonder if that came from somewhere.

OMG, what a great idea, Diller doing a cameo a la Jackie Gleason, you should have been in that writers room. And i dunno about in the US, but here in Queerbec, they had this female impersonator from France who was called Guilda, he even did Lucy, and he was very popular with straight audiences, it was like, we're paying to see an illusion, and there was lots of entertainment involved, nobody made nasty gay remarks, he was treated like a great entertainer. The scene you describe where Jim is trying to act macho was cringe worthy for me, so fake. BUT i always liked Jim and always watched him on various shows doing his act.

That's great, not quite the same here except I'm old enough to know that Liberace was famous and popular here on US television in the 50s and 60s but it was soooooo obvious he was gay, to a lesser (if ever so slightly) degree, the same for Paul Lynde but back then, cool as it was they seemed to be not only accepted but embraced, it was also always the unspoken (pink?) "elephant in the room": everyone -- except for the old blue hairs who should have known better! -- knew but it was never brought up. Things are so much better today, Lynde should still be around, and I'd love to see how he'd go over today.

Sad we'll never know; Rip Taylor, one of his contemporaries is still around and still performs, popping up on TV occasionally....would love to hear his thoughts on the subject since he's lived to see such great change in attitudes and acceptance.

lucyblah.JPG

And let's not forget the nelliest of nellies: Eva Gabor's assistant who made "Spike" look like John Wayne. I do love that the name of Ginger's secretary was Spike---wonder if that came from somewhere.

Oh yeah, forgot about HER, er i mean HIM, spraying perfume everywhere, been there, done that, swishing about the room, laying out her jewellery, i can dig it, LOL!

Archived