My Three Mames!

Neil

I read that the Mame number was the first thing shot for the movie. Considering Lucy's leg, it's a testimony to her professionalism. There's an interview during the Mame filming where the interviewer describes Lucy as limping into the room. Can you imagine how hard it was for Lucy to endure that pain AND hide it especially when she brings all of her weight down on the leg in that choreography during the climactic reprise of the song at the end after the dancing bridge between lyrics being sung?

There was also a mention that Lucy and her choreographer and leg healer Oona White scoured the land looking for any gopher holes or inperfections that could trip her up. As i watched that repeatedly Neil, i keep wondering what if? When Lucy so wanted that Dolly Levi role in Hello Dolly that had already been promised to Streisand. In that case they would not have gotten on her case for age as Dolly was older and Streisand was much too young for the part. But Lucy at least tried on the outfit in that Channing imitation on one of her shows.

A comparison of the three Mames out there on video.

The audio is from Ginger's version. I had to speed up Lucy's quite a bit to sync it up.

I never noticed that the tempo of Lucy's is so much slower than the others.

Thanks again Neil, for the great early Christmas present, this is just wonderful, could watch it all day. Got any more of these you could put up? LOL! :lucythrill:

Archived