My Three Mames!

Neil

A comparison of the three Mames out there on video.

The audio is from Ginger's version. I had to speed up Lucy's quite a bit to sync it up.

I never noticed that the tempo of Lucy's is so much slower than the others.

Thanks Neil, that is without a doubt the single greatest video i have ever seen on this or any other site. You are indeed a very talented man to accomplish something like that so easily. I actually got goose bumps. Funny, you saying Lucy's version was slower, whenever i play it on You Tube, it's actually annoyingly "speeded up" out there. In the words of Lucy, in the film, THIS MAKES MY SUMMER, but for me it's SUNDAY. My COLD has returned, i feel lousy but that just made me want to live again, thanks you talented wonder! :peachonthebeach::lucy2::wub:

Comparing the three I find it amazing Lucy can with her broken leg do the same steps as Angie or Ginger. This is my favorite part of the movie Mame. I just love big musicals. Comparing the three I feel Lucy wins hands down. The choregraphy seems more natural and the ending with Patrick running to Mame instead of Mame just standing with Beaurguard is wonderful. I find the riding custom outfits for the women instead of skirts enables more movement and seems more natural if they were part of the hunt. I feel Angie's stage verizon is better than Ginger's who seem to kick too high at times and the placement of the background dancers at times seems unnatual and doesn't allow the dance to move freely. However, I give all three credit for being successful with this character.

Comparing the three I find it amazing Lucy can with her broken leg do the same steps as Angie or Ginger. This is my favorite part of the movie Mame. I just love big musicals. Comparing the three I feel Lucy wins hands down. The choregraphy seems more natural and the ending with Patrick running to Mame instead of Mame just standing with Beaurguard is wonderful. I find the riding custom outfits for the women instead of skirts enables more movement and seems more natural if they were part of the hunt. I feel Angie's stage verizon is better than Ginger's who seem to kick too high at times and the placement of the background dancers at times seems unnatual and doesn't allow the dance to move freely. However, I give all three credit for being successful with this character.

I think Ginger's is in front of the Queen as they all come out and bow in the direction of The Royal Box at the end. Mame has got to be one of the greatest musuical numbers in all of Broadway history. Such an infectious song, like Hello Dolly, also from the GREAT Jerry Herman.

The audio is from Ginger's version. I had to speed up Lucy's quite a bit to sync it up.

Neil, this is your MASTERPIECE! Lucille "B"all should have gotten top biling though, LOL!

Geez, you're right, i've seen that Ginger Rogers one before but never noticed she does that high nazi goosestep.

I think Ginger's is in front of the Queen as they all come out and bow in the direction of The Royal Box at the end. Mame has got to be one of the greatest musuical numbers in all of Broadway history. Such an infectious song, like Hello Dolly, also from the GREAT Jerry Herman.

Yes, it's from a Royal Variety Performance.

While a great number from a production standpoint, it's a shame they didn't "shoose something that showed Ginger off" a little bit more.

Terrific job, Neil!

I wish there was video of Ann Miller's "That's How Young I Feel" tap dance.

Is that from Mame, she did the show? Ann's part in Sugar Babies features another song that's just infectious, it's with Mickey and involves a sort of medley and Ann's just sensational, with her legs showing a la Lucy too.

Is that from Mame, she did the show? Ann's part in Sugar Babies features another song that's just infectious, it's with Mickey and involves a sort of medley and Ann's just sensational, with her legs showing a la Lucy too.

Ann Miller was the last of the Broadway Mames. She received rapturous reviews. "That's How Young I Feel" was a song from Mame that was cut from the movie. They re-choreographed the number for Ann and turned it into a huge tap number.

Angela's Beau in the original production of Mame was Charles Braswell. He was in the cast of Wildcat as well. He died shortly after the movie of Mame was released.

Had no idea that repartee existed when Lucy's dancing and the chorus is adding all those little bits and pieces. Wonder why that's not in the film.

Neil: THANKS SO MUCH for all the hard work and time you put into presenting us with this lovely pre-Christmas present. I truly appreciate it. Beautiful. Too bad WE can't have the entire performance(s) presented that way for comparisons.

Terrific job, Neil! That was great to watch. I agree that hugging Patrick at the end is a sweet touch in Lucy's version. Her high kicks also look the most natural and effortless, a true testament to her talent and dedication after so recently recovering from such a severe leg break.

Terrific job, Neil! That was great to watch. I agree that hugging Patrick at the end is a sweet touch in Lucy's version. Her high kicks also look the most natural and effortless, a true testament to her talent and dedication after so recently recovering from such a severe leg break.

Well said Magster - Lucy's version in general is more poignant than any other version (IMO)

I'm glad you all liked it. I do these just for fun and submit them to you as "Little Neil's Finger Paintings".

If you had seen nothing other than the "Mame" number from the movie, you would have thought it was a great one.

I can't really argue with the critics that could not accept Lucy's singing but I take exception to the "and she's not much of a dancer" comment, because she does everything the other two do. One critic said "she doesn't dance as much as she stands around and sort of conducts the other dancers"--which is exactly what Ginger and Angela do.

Lucy's high kicks are phenomenal. The only problem is the angle they're shot from doesn't show them off well, which is why I shifted the shot to all three side by side. Lucy is clearly the winner.

I synched Angela and Lucy up to Ginger's audio because Lucy's tempo is way too slow and the sound fidelity of Angela's wasn't good enough. I thought about using the OBC track of the number but that would have meant synching up all three. The "shut my mouth" audio is taken from the album. Ginger's tempo is much faster than the other two. Lucy's was much slower, a mistake I think because it makes the number less exciting. I think Lucy's version plays much better a little faster and peppier with the broadway orchestrations and chorus.

I agree that Ginger's goose-step dance is an odd choice--probably included just to show Ginger could do this.

Ginger's version had the "Shut my mouth and..." segment taken out. As you all know, Lucy's included this without the lyrics as just a soft-shoe. I think it would have been better to include the words, because it's a better build.

It was interesting that Ginger's Mother Burnside's "This time the South will rise again" synched up perfectly with Lucille Benson's mouth.

I read that the Mame number was the first thing shot for the movie. Considering Lucy's leg, it's a testimony to her professionalism. There's an interview during the Mame filming where the interviewer describes Lucy as limping into the room. Can you imagine how hard it was for Lucy to endure that pain AND hide it especially when she brings all of her weight down on the leg in that choreography during the climactic reprise of the song at the end after the dancing bridge between lyrics being sung?

I'm glad you all liked it. I do these just for fun and submit them to you as "Little Neil's Finger Paintings".

If you had seen nothing other than the "Mame" number from the movie, you would have thought it was a great one.

I can't really argue with the critics that could not accept Lucy's singing but I take exception to the "and she's not much of a dancer" comment, because she does everything the other two do. One critic said "she doesn't dance as much as she stands around and sort of conducts the other dancers"--which is exactly what Ginger and Angela do.

Lucy's high kicks are phenomenal. The only problem is the angle they're shot from doesn't show them off well, which is why I shifted the shot to all three side by side. Lucy is clearly the winner.

I synched Angela and Lucy up to Ginger's audio because Lucy's tempo is way too slow and the sound fidelity of Angela's wasn't good enough. I thought about using the OBC track of the number but that would have meant synching up all three. The "shut my mouth" audio is taken from the album. Ginger's tempo is much faster than the other two. Lucy's was much slower, a mistake I think because it makes the number less exciting. I think Lucy's version plays much better a little faster and peppier with the broadway orchestrations and chorus.

I agree that Ginger's goose-step dance is an odd choice--probably included just to show Ginger could do this.

Ginger's version had the "Shut my mouth and..." segment taken out. As you all know, Lucy's included this without the lyrics as just a soft-shoe. I think it would have been better to include the words, because it's a better build.

It was interesting that Ginger's Mother Burnside's "This time the South will rise again" synched up perfectly with Lucille Benson's mouth.

I read that the Mame number was the first thing shot for the movie. Considering Lucy's leg, it's a testimony to her professionalism. There's an interview during the Mame filming where the interviewer describes Lucy as limping into the room. Can you imagine how hard it was for Lucy to endure that pain AND hide it especially when she brings all of her weight down on the leg in that choreography during the climactic reprise of the song at the end after the dancing bridge between lyrics being sung?

Hear Hear Neil! Your post deserves a +1 (soon to be Like when the new forum switches over) and a comment! I agree - it really makes me quite mad even to this day (not that I was around in 1974) to read some of the horrible things said about Lucy! You almost get the impression they were sitting there with a big grin on their face when they wrote those reviews just to see who could outdo the other one with their crude remarks! Our Lucy (as I like to refer to her) was certainly a Super Trouper! (always good to throw in an ABBA song/lyric when I refer to Lucy) LOL! :lucythrill:

Clearly those critics didn't see the Broadway play version and see how marvelous Lucy did do. Just as well as Ginger and Angela. But I must say my favorite Mame is Ms Russell, even though that version is completely different. But as for Lucy's Mame what were those critics smoking?!

Archived