"Yust Like Mama!"

Brock

Just found this spectacular picture of Gale's mother on a post card using her stage name! This is the first photo I have seen from her music hall days before she changed her professional name to Gloria Gordon!

11_1667286662.jpg

Although the jury is still out on whether Gordon was her actual maiden name. "St Leger" seems a rather exotic last name for someone who appears to have been born "Bertha". In the 1911 census, she is listed as "Bertha St. Leger Aldrich" alongside her husband Charles, son Charles (Gale) and daughter Jewel (later Judy), but I can't find any record of "Bertha St. Ledger"'s existance in the 1901 or 1891 census. Hmm...

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Although the jury is still out on whether Gordon was her actual maiden name. "St Leger" seems a rather exotic last name for someone who appears to have been born "Bertha". In the 1911 census, she is listed as "Bertha St. Leger Aldrich" alongside her husband Charles, son Charles (Gale) and daughter Jewel (later Judy), but I can't find any record of "Bertha St. Ledger"'s existance in the 1901 or 1891 census. Hmm...

Mystery solved. The answer is none of the above.

Gloria Gordon's birth name was Bertha St. Leger Wilson , daughter of Christopher Wilson and Elizabeth Louisa Pepper.

Archived