Kathryn Card

I thought we had a thread just for Kathryn Card, but it looks like we don't. We do now. ;)

Tonight I was watching the 1962 film "Walk on the Wild Side" with Harvey (Laurence, not Simmons), Capucine, Jane Fonda, Anne Baxter, and Barbara Stanwyck. Kathryn Card had a minor role as Laurence Harvey's landlady. It sounded like all of her lines were looped with someone else's voice. Maybe she didn't sound like she was from the film's setting of New Orleans and they decided to dub her? It was certainly strange.

I believe Kathryn's last film appearance was in 1964's "The Unsinkable Molly Brown"...not a big part...almost a cameo, but nonetheless, there she was!

Yes, that was her final film. It was released posthumously. The year before "Walk on the Wild Side" she had a very small, but funny, role in "All in a Night's Work" with Shirley MacLaine and Dean Martin, which also featured Gale Gordon.

I believe Kathryn's last film appearance was in 1964's "The Unsinkable Molly Brown"...not a big part...almost a cameo, but nonetheless, there she was!

She did have her one line as one of the snooty Denver society matrons who looks down on Molly. "I'm told they drive UP and down the avenue.... as she shouts greetings to passers-by" (delivered very "hem of his burnoose"-ish) in a group that includes the judge from YMO and virtual extra Eleanor Audley. The conversation is all about the rube-ish Browns next door and Eleanor does nothing but react to what other people say, but she gives each eye-roll and exasperated sigh her all!

"Molly" and "Wildcat" premiered on Broadway the same month, were set in the same year 1912*and had similar ambition, but hoydenish heroines. Lucy considered or was asked to be in Broadway's Molly, a bigger hit than Wildcat. But on score alone, I think Wildcat is much better. Molly has its "Hey Look Me Over" in "I Ain't Down Yet" and a rousing "Belly Up to the Bar" (sort of its "What Takes My Fancy") which Lucy finally did on Carol Burnett's show, but not much else. In fact, much of the Molly Broadway score is excised, leaving its lead with only two big songs--the ones mentioned--, the leading man, booming baritone-tenor Harve Presnell with three, and the whole cast is in only one, but a doozy: the show stopping "He's My Friend" , written for the movie. The Soundtrack album is filled up with reprises, musical passages and a made-up out-of-sequence track called "Finale", a reprise of "colorado, my home" which occurs well before the end of the movie. IMO, "Belly" and "Friend" are two of the greatest musical numbers ever filmed.

*Today's equivalent: 1964, the year the movie was made....I HATE it when I do this kind of math!

• 2 weeks later...

She did have her one line as one of the snooty Denver society matrons who looks down on Molly. "I'm told they drive UP and down the avenue.... as she shouts greetings to passers-by" (delivered very "hem of his burnoose"-ish) in a group that includes the judge from YMO and virtual extra Eleanor Audley. The conversation is all about the rube-ish Browns next door and Eleanor does nothing but react to what other people say, but she gives each eye-roll and exasperated sigh her all!

"Molly" and "Wildcat" premiered on Broadway the same month, were set in the same year 1912*and had similar ambition, but hoydenish heroines. Lucy considered or was asked to be in Broadway's Molly, a bigger hit than Wildcat. But on score alone, I think Wildcat is much better. Molly has its "Hey Look Me Over" in "I Ain't Down Yet" and a rousing "Belly Up to the Bar" (sort of its "What Takes My Fancy") which Lucy finally did on Carol Burnett's show, but not much else. In fact, much of the Molly Broadway score is excised, leaving its lead with only two big songs--the ones mentioned--, the leading man, booming baritone-tenor Harve Presnell with three, and the whole cast is in only one, but a doozy: the show stopping "He's My Friend" , written for the movie. The Soundtrack album is filled up with reprises, musical passages and a made-up out-of-sequence track called "Finale", a reprise of "colorado, my home" which occurs well before the end of the movie. IMO, "Belly" and "Friend" are two of the greatest musical numbers ever filmed.

*Today's equivalent: 1964, the year the movie was made....I HATE it when I do this kind of math!

I dunno, i would have loved to see Lucy play Molly, every time i see Reynolds playing it, i think of Lucy. Getting back to Kathryn Card, saw her tonight in her first appearance on ILL as they get ready to go to Hollywood, great actress. Loved the way Lucy looked a bit sounder in the head as they had a new dumb bunny on now.

I think most of Kathryn Card's roles outside of ILL were pretty much bits, a shame because she was a terrific character actress. There's a nice sized picture of her in a scene with Joan Crawford in one of her 50's movies in The Films of Joan Crawford book but the author obviously did not know who she was so she was uncredited!

I think most of Kathryn Card's roles outside of ILL were pretty much bits, a shame because she was a terrific character actress. There's a nice sized picture of her in a scene with Joan Crawford in one of her 50's movies in The Films of Joan Crawford book but the author obviously did not know who she was so she was uncredited!

Yes, she was so good that i never made the connection, BACK THEN, that she was Minnie Finch as well as Mrs McGuillicuddy.

Just saw her again as Minnie and can't get over it, that woman was amazing, looks totally different. They're having an I Love Lucy marathon for Christmas day.

It wasn't until all the reference books about ILL came out that I had even a inkling that these were the same actress.

Just saw her again as Minnie and can't get over it, that woman was amazing, looks totally different. They're having an I Love Lucy marathon for Christmas day.

I don't believe I've ever seen her in any other film... thanks for the 'heads-up', Neil. Hope your Christmas was a joyful one; and you had folks you love around....

• 11 months later...

I watched The Hedda Hopper story twice this week when it aired on TV and Kathryn Card amazes me here. Only her second appearance as Mrs. McGillicuddy and she and the writers have created such a well-rounded lived-in character, it's hard to believe the character was only introduced in a single episode and a gap of six or seven episodes in the meantime. She held her own and got huge laughs right from the beginning and by that second episode it seemed like she was a well-worn stitch the "Lucy" tapestry.

burnuse.gif

I watched The Hedda Hopper story twice this week when it aired on TV and Kathryn Card amazes me here. Only her second appearance as Mrs. McGillicuddy and she and the writers have created such a well-rounded lived-in character, it's hard to believe the character was only introduced in a single episode and a gap of six or seven episodes in the meantime. She held her own and got huge laughs right from the beginning and by that second episode it seemed like she was a well-worn stitch the "Lucy" tapestry.

burnuse.gif

Agree and can't understand why she was not utilized more.  Also didn't stop to think that "Hedda" was only her 2nd but that makes sense.

"Hedda" is hard to watch on air because most of the laugh is edited out--at least it was the last time I watched it.  I would like to see the script. Wonder if the prolonged Mrs. M laugh was added in rehearsal. Especially like it when she stops ...then takes one more look at Ricky and can't hold back another full-blast cackle.  And notice how she's still laughing to herself during Lucy's line.

• 4 weeks later...

burnuse.gif

Mother McGillicuddy always has made me laugh like crazy: "You didn't ask me!", "Micky" (and yet she calls Little Ricky "ricky"), and especially in the Hedda Hopper Story!  She is so funny there, and i never really realized it was only her second episode! :)  Love the part in the GIF above.  ;)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I realized no one answered my previous post.  The answer: Verna Felton.  Kathryn delivers "I DID???"  like Verna "I DO!!" when Lucy says she doesn't know how she's going to get her rug cleaned.

Saw Kathryn on another Burns and Allen, hired as a cook for a dinner party Gracie is throwing.  "Chicken is my specialty.  Boiled, stewed or fried, my husband loves it."  Gracie: "And just think how much more he'd like it if he ate it sober."  It's funny to see Kathryn Card befuddled by Gracie's Mrs. McGillicuddy-like logic.

KC: "I don't go in for all the folderol.  Some people put paper panties on the lamb chops but I cook them bare."  Gracie "Well, it doesn't matter. You're out here in the kitchen so no one will see if you're wearing anything or not."

Though Kathryn is a bit too young to portray Gracie's oft-referred to but never-seen mother, she would have been perfect.  (Though KC is just a year or two older than Gracie, the latter looks much younger.)

I have a feeling that if "Mrs. Allen" had sent Gracie a telegram saying she was arriving at 9:30, Gracie would have followed the logic and picked her up at the airport at 12:30!

I've never heard of lambchops with paper panties, but it's legit!  I asked someone.

To further blur the lines between reality and illusion (how hard a time the public in general had differentiating between Lucille Ball and Lucy Ricardo), I just found out Kathryn Card was REALLY born in Butte Montana!

Among the oft-repeated bio bits, some taken from studio blurbs:

Born in Butte

Changed name from Diane Belmont

Mother was concert pianist

Hobby: piloting her own plane.  I think in this story she saves a boy stuck on an ice-flow or something.

Born in 1910-- quoted in many reference books; not that one year makes that much difference.  The latest YOB I ever saw was 1914.  It was in a London newspaper article about the dunk into the Thames during "In London" filming, referring to her as "52 year old Lucille Ball".  She was a spry 55.

Told by doctors: "You'll never walk again."  I'm just not buying the rheumatoid arthritis story.  She said herself "I didn't walk for 2 years".

Left "Wildcat" weighing 85 to 95 pounds (weight varied depending on article).  At 5'7" and nearly 50, she would have looked ghastly.  I've never seen Wildcat pics later in the run where she was skeletal thin.

It's probably the birth of Desi/Ricky Jr. on the same day that confused that section of the public that didn't think of follow-up questions.  Seeing the episode Monday night and reading the headline in the next day's paper added to the confusion.

• 3 years later...

Just for fun, I put together all of Kathryn Card's Lucy appearances into one video and found that the grand total of screen time was about 45 MINUTES, and that includes some discussion about her, her appearance as Minnie Finch and her brief return to the fold in the opening of "Japan".  I've said this before but Mrs McGillicuddy was the MOST underutilized player outside the main 4 (close 2nd: Doris Singleton).  Kathryn held her own and is the highlight of most of the episodes she's in.  The mystery is WHY they didn't use her more.  She did 8 half-hours as Mrs. M, her one LDCH and another half-hour as Minnie Finch.   Her biggest cluster (4 episodes) was March and April of 1955 in the 4th season.  A scant 2 appearances in the 5th ("Train Robbery" and "Italy Birthday"), completely absent from the 6th season.  THREE YEARS between Italy and Japan.  I love her sleepy phone conversation in Italy and the subsequent where they both end up crying.   

Those inconsistent youtube copyright officers sent me a note that this video was taken down (when someone's upload of the  full episode of "Japan" remains up!).  I clicked on it and it worked so maybe they haven't taken it down yet....or maybe they're not going to.     

So here's the link.

Try this download from my Dropbox account:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d01zyzhsjlmi173/KCard alone.mp4?dl=0

And make that "a scant THREE appearances in the 5th season" (not 2) But she was given very little to do in "Train Robbery" "Bon Voyage" and "Italy Birthday". Again WHY WHY WHY didn't they use her more when they realized what they had?  She was brought on just as a utilitarian character, the on-vacation version of Mrs. Trumble---to get rid of Little Ricky, who between naps usually just cried or looked uncomfortable.  It was nice to see them (Mathilda and whatever Mrs. M's first name was...do we ever know?)  together in one episode "Bon Voyage".   Kathryn Card brought SO SO  much more to the character.  When she's given something to work with, she all but STEALS the entire episode, not easy when you're working with 4 of the greatest.     "California Here We Come" and "Hedda Hopper" being her high  points.  With few episodes under her belt, she became so well remembered that when Lucy wants to bring the 25 pound cheese home from Europe for  "someone we all know and love", the audience knows exactly who she's talking about.   That tepid 6th season could have used the boost of Kathryn Card energy.  I'm not WILD about any of the NYC-based shows except for "Loving Cup" which  only stands out among those but is not in the same league as earlier eps.   Some NYC-6th eps are OK, but they were definitely off their game. Once they move to the country things improve, but several duffers mar that story arc as a truly classic one like Europe and (especially) Hollywood.  Of the "6th seasons" of all her three series,  I prefer "Here's Lucy"'s output which contains FOUR of my HL Top Ten, more than any other season: "Wandering Mother" "NG as RN" "Lucy Meets Lucy" and "Fights the System".  In "System", HL has the best "last episode" of all three series. 

In retrospect, was there any reason to leave Hollywood at all?  They barely get settled back in their E. 68th apartment before they got ready to set sail for Europe.  But not leaving Hollywood would have robbed us of "Sells the Car" and "Train Robbery", two of my favorites. 

Thanks for the link!

I concur that she was underutilized, especially after Hollywood. It would've been great to have her appear during the sixth season, which is rather underwhelming in spots. It's a pity they only thought to use her when they wanted to get Little Ricky out of the way.

Back when we did our later season plots, I remember bringing her back early on as wanting to move to the country to be closer to Lucy and Ricky. Having an arc where she visits them and just won't leave would've been great. In some ways, I'm sorry the half-hours ended before they truly got settled in Connecticut. Yes, the comedy hours featured it, but those were more focused on guest-star driven plots than ones controlled by the core four.

Her first name was never revealed. I decided to call her Esmeralda for my "Trumbull in the Bronx" spinoff idea. Good a reason as any why Lucy had that middle name. Maybe when you get your creative juices flowing again following the "Here's Lucy" retool, a Mrs. McGillicuddy show could be formulated :)

Archived