JACK KLUGMAN DEAD AT 90

C L A U D E

I didn't know he was nominated for a Tony award for his supporting role on Broadway in Gypsy. Married to actress Brett Summers at one time but they were estranged when she passed away in 2007. They had two sons together Adam and David. He remarried again a few years ago and that new wife was at his side when he died. No cause of death was given but at that age . . . He really felt bad that he had ever started smoking and was treated for throat cancer decades ago where he lost his voice and had to learn to speak again. He hated it when he saw actors smoking saying it was such a bad example for kids watching.

He was also famous of course for his role as a medical examiner on Quincy on NBC which was the reason he was on that Lucille Ball special. 5 years on The Odd Couple and probably as many or more on Quincy. He had replaced Walter Matthau on Broadway in the Neil Simon play and found himself playing with Tony Randall, eventually they teamed together on the tv show based on the play. They loved and respected each other and at the time of Tony's death a few years ago, he said nobody was better at improvising than Randall.

Where? At work?

Yes.

It seems so unbelievable that he would live so much longer than Tony Randall.

Here's the link to Jack's New York Times obit: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/25/arts/television/jack-klugman-stage-and-screen-actor-is-dead-at-90.html?_r=0&hp=&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1356405615-mJ9hWtNfLGWvvTv2O9y0rg&gwh=3D61F337BED7C318FB05CFCC41A55948

Yes.

It seems so unbelievable that he would live so much longer than Tony Randall.

Here's the link to Jack's New York Times obit: http://www.nytimes.c...B05CFCC41A55948

Yeah Tony died at 84 i think but i dunno what year. And they both had these much younger wives i think. Didn't Tony have a young kid when he passed?

Yeah Tony died at 82 i think but i dunno what year. And they both had these much younger wives i think. Didn't Tony have a young kid when he passed?

Now The Odd Couple is an old favorite that i don`t mind watching any time i happen upon an episode, classic tv indeed, with two great pros. And Penny Marshall was on that one also.

Yeah Tony died at 82 i think but i dunno what year. And they both had these much younger wives i think. Didn't Tony have a young kid when he passed?

I thought it was adoreable when Jack married Peggy Crosby, the waitress from Quincy, M.E. She's 70. I do remember Tony having two young children.

I thought it was adoreable when Jack married Peggy Crosby, the waitress from Quincy, M.E. She's 70. I do remember Tony having two young children.

Oh, so Jack`s wife was no young chickie then. That`s good! As for Tony, it`s always a shame when both the husband and children are in diapers at the same time, drives the wife crazy.

I don't know of any other so I'll say:

TV's Odd Couple is the only great movie-to-TV-series adaption. Some critics said it was BETTER than the original and in some respects I agree. It never made the top 30 of any year, but I've read that it limped along for 5 years before being canceled in 1975. I've not seen too many of the first season, which was a single cam show. Wisely they switched to live audience for the next 4 years. It's one of the handful of sitcoms I saw performed LIVE. Tony did the warm up and mentioned that this was the same soundstage where The Lucy Show was filmed (Paramount).

I remember Jack having a lot of trouble with his entrance line. His answer to Felix's "Where have you been?" was something like "I've been to England having tea with the queen.", which he blew several times and seemed humbly embarrassed. This episode also featured Brett. I think the plot was a flashback to a vacation the two couples took to a Mexican resort when Felix was still married.

His garbled diction was the perfect contrast to Tony Randall. Jack won two Best Comedy Actor Emmys against some formidable competition: among them ratings favorite (and equally deserved) Carroll O'Connor, Tony, of course, Alan Alda and Redd Foxx. Tony finally won for the show's last year.

The series itself was nominated 3 of its 5 seasons.

After the series ended they toured with the Neil Simon Odd Couple which I saw here in Portland. Got their autographs at the stage door and tried to impress Jack by saying "do you remember Harris Against the World?" "Yeah and I'm trying to forget it " was his answer. "Harris" was a half-season sitcom from the mid-60s which I had a vague recollection of. He was one of those performers who seemed uncomfortable with fan attention. Tony on the other hand was at his Tony-est with the stage door crowd and that was very entertaining.

His son Adam lives in Oregon and had a radio talk show on the only progressive talk station in town---which has switch to a sports-talk format. ( the appeal of which goes beyond my radar).

He (Adam) came into our office many years ago. We duplicated DVDs that went into the back sleeve of Jack's book about the Odd Couple. I didn't put together who he was until after he left.

I don't know of any other so I'll say:

TV's Odd Couple is the only great movie-to-TV-series adaption. Some critics said it was BETTER than the original and in some respects I agree. It never made the top 30 of any year, but I've read that it limped along for 5 years before being canceled in 1975. I've not seen too many of the first season, which was a single cam show. Wisely they switched to live audience for the next 4 years. It's one of the handful of sitcoms I saw performed LIVE. Tony did the warm up and mentioned that this was the same soundstage where The Lucy Show was filmed (Paramount).

I remember Jack having a lot of trouble with his entrance line. His answer to Felix's "Where have you been?" was something like "I've been to England having tea with the queen.", which he blew several times and seemed humbly embarrassed. This episode also featured Brett. I think the plot was a flashback to a vacation the two couples took to a Mexican resort when Felix was still married.

His garbled diction was the perfect contrast to Tony Randall. Jack won two Best Comedy Actor Emmys against some formidable competition: among them ratings favorite (and equally deserved) Carroll O'Connor, Tony, of course, Alan Alda and Redd Foxx. Tony finally won for the show's last year.

The series itself was nominated 3 of its 5 seasons.

After the series ended they toured with the Neil Simon Odd Couple which I saw here in Portland. Got their autographs at the stage door and tried to impress Jack by saying "do you remember Harris Against the World?" "Yeah and I'm trying to forget it " was his answer. "Harris" was a half-season sitcom from the mid-60s which I had a vague recollection of. He was one of those performers who seemed uncomfortable with fan attention. Tony on the other hand was at his Tony-est with the stage door crowd and that was very entertaining.

His son Adam lives in Oregon and had a radio talk show on the only progressive talk station in town---which has switch to a sports-talk format. ( the appeal of which goes beyond my radar).

He (Adam) came into our office many years ago. We duplicated DVDs that went into the back sleeve of Jack's book about the Odd Couple. I didn't put together who he was until after he left.

I saw every one of those Odd Couple shows and agree they were indeed terrific. Neil Simon had a real winner here, story is just terrific, also liked the different versions like when they had two females instead, i think Joan Rivers was the sloppy one. Always imagined Lucy doing one of them, obviously the clean one, like Tony.

R.I.P., Mr. Klugman:

Jack Klugman, Golden Globe-winning actor, 97 titles; of The Odd Couple fame, 114 episodes, as Oscar Madison, 1970-75; Quincy, M.D. fame, 148 episodes, as Quincy, 1976-83; guest, Desilu Productions', The Walter Winchell File, “Death Comes in a Small Package”, as Allie Sunshine, 1959; director, Kraft Mystery Theater, 1960; The Untouchables “Loophole”, as Morton Halas, 1961, and “An Eye for an Eye”, as Solly Girsch, 1963; appears with Lucie Arnaz and Lucille Ball, Circus of the Stars #2, 1977; appears, uncredited, with Lucille, archivally, AFI Life Achievement Awsard: A Tribute to Henry Fonda, 1978; appears with Lucille, Lucy Moves to NBC, 1980; with Lucie, The 35th Annual Tony Awards, 1981; with Lucie, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Desi Arnaz, American Masters: Rod Serling: Submitted for Your Approval, and with Lucille and Desi, American Masters: Judy Garland: By Myself, 1983; with Lucille and Gary Morton, NBC, The Annual Friars Club Tribute Present a Salute to Liza Minnelli, 1987; with Lucille, archivally, and Lucie, Bob Hope: The First 90 Years, 1993; with Lucille, archivally, The 100 Greatest TV Quotes & Catchphrases, 2006, as well as You Know The Face, 2009, is born this date in 1922.

Archived