Lucy and Phil Harris

It's kind of funny how Phil Harris did the voice of a character in a Disney movie, and then he appeared on one of Lucy's shows. This happened twice, in 6 years, which were both the final seasons of her shows. He was the voice of Baloo the Bear in 1967's "The Jungle Book" and then a few months later he guest starred as himself on TLS. Then in 1973 he was Little John in "Robin Hood" then he appeared on HL a few months later. I wonder why she hired him in both instances. Was it something in his contract? Or publicity?

Paul Winchell also was the voice of Tigger in "Pooh and the Blustery Day" in 1968 but his appearance on TLS was in 1966, but Disney may have started work on that Pooh cartoon already and wanted to hire him as Tigger's voice.

And Verna Felton as Mrs. Porter did a lot of voices in Disney movies in the 40s and 50s, such as the Fairy Godmother, Aunt Sara in "Lady & The Tramp" and one of the elephants in "Dumbo." Miss Ball was probably so impressed by their work that she wanted to hire them for her shows.

lol it makes me laugh picturing stern Mrs. Porter as the Fairy Godmother singing Bibbibi Boppity Boo. :marionstrong:

It's kind of funny how Phil Harris did the voice of a character in a Disney movie, and then he appeared on one of Lucy's shows. This happened twice, in 6 years, which were both the final seasons of her shows. He was the voice of Baloo the Bear in 1967's "The Jungle Book" and then a few months later he guest starred as himself on TLS. Then in 1973 he was Little John in "Robin Hood" then he appeared on HL a few months later. I wonder why she hired him in both instances. Was it something in his contract? Or publicity?

Paul Winchell also was the voice of Tigger in "Pooh and the Blustery Day" in 1968 but his appearance on TLS was in 1966, but Disney may have started work on that Pooh cartoon already and wanted to hire him as Tigger's voice.

And Verna Felton as Mrs. Porter did a lot of voices in Disney movies in the 40s and 50s, such as the Fairy Godmother, Aunt Sara in "Lady & The Tramp" and one of the elephants in "Dumbo." Miss Ball was probably so impressed by their work that she wanted to hire them for her shows.

lol it makes me laugh picturing stern Mrs. Porter as the Fairy Godmother singing Bibbibi Boppity Boo.

Phil Harris was also in the Disney animated movie, The Aristocats, as Thomas O'Malley the alley cat. Eva Gabor, (Here's Lucy guest star in seasons 1 & 5) of Green Acres fame, also had a starring role in this film as Duchess the mother cat. And Sterling Hollaway who played Roquefort in this Disney feature also was in a number of other Disney animated movies including Phil Harris's The Jungle Book. And let's not forget about George Lindsey (Goober Pyle of The Andy Griffith Show, Mayberry R.F.D. and Hee Haw) as he also had acting parts in The Aristocats and Robin Hood.

Archived