Lucy plots in the 21st century

What are some plots (be it ILL, TLS and HL) would still be relevant today, or obviously not, based on technology?

ILL

Men are Messy, as they still have magazine photographers

Bon Voyage as they still could call each other

Visitor from Italy as people still flip pizzas

Lucy Fakes Illness

The Ricardos Dedicate a Statue

Little Ricky gets a dog

TLS

Lucy Puts Up a TV Antenna, but it would probably be "Lucy Puts Up a Satellite Dish" today.

Kiddie Parties Inc. would still work today because themed kiddie parties, with plenty of cupcakes, are all the rage

Lucy Enters a Baking Contest would still work

Lucy in Marineland would still work but maybe not because of heightened security? (How was nobody over there to stop her from getting into the dinghy?)

HL

Mod, Mod Lucy (but the dance/fashion would obviously be different)

Lucy the Shopping Expert

Lucy at the Air Force Acadamy

Lucy Goes Hawaiian

What would not work

"Vacation from Marriage" because Lucy and Ethel can just call someone using their iphones when they were stuck on the roof

"The Freezer" because Lucy would just be able to call someone with her cell when she was trapped in the freezer

"The Courtroom" because TVs have perfect reception nowadays

"Ricky's Contract" because he would just have his cell phone on him

"Be a Pal" because nobody uses vinyl records anymore >_>

"Lucy Meets a Millionaire" because they could probably just look up Oscar's Cleaners on their iphones

"Lucy is a Chaperone" obviously because those girls would be texting the whole time they were at the beach house, as opposed to 1963's "No phone? I'll DIE!"

"Lucy and the Ceramic Cat" because Lucy could probably just order another one online

"Lucy is a Disc Jockey" because it's all digitally now

"Lucy the Helpful Mother" because they would just be using their cell phones and the home phone would always be open

We can make them work:

"Vacation from Marriage" because Lucy and Ethel can just call someone using their iphones when they were stuck on the roof

Without thinking Lucy uses their iPhones to hit Mrs. Sanders' window.

"The Freezer" because Lucy would just be able to call someone with her cell when she was trapped in the freezer

Bad reception in the freezer.

"The Courtroom" because TVs have perfect reception nowadays

Faulty technology on their "broken down, second hand 3D television set." ? "And with a fiendish gleam, he took an iPhone out of his pocket and started hacking it!"

"Ricky's Contract" because he would just have his cell phone on him

Well, you have a point there. LOL

"Be a Pal" because nobody uses vinyl records anymore >_>

Actually, vinyl is very popular again for some reason.

"Lucy Meets a Millionaire" because they could probably just look up Oscar's Cleaners on their iphones

But if the shop is closed, how would they know which Oscar to look up? Siri can only be so helpful. :lucythrill:

"Lucy is a Chaperone" obviously because those girls would be texting the whole time they were at the beach house, as opposed to 1963's "No phone? I'll DIE!"

"No cell phone reception? I'll die! I'LL REALLY DIE!"

"Lucy and the Ceramic Cat" because Lucy could probably just order another one online

Well, they would still need to figure out WHAT it is they need to order, and besides, if Mooney wanted to pick it up for Irma even Mrs. Mulford on her fastest, speediest delivery couldn't get it on time.

"Lucy is a Disc Jockey" because it's all digitally now

"Lucy the Helpful Mother" because they would just be using their cell phones and the home phone would always be open

I'll buy that.

Yeah, basically cell phones would replace any chance Lucy and co. have to miss a call or something, like in "Redecorating." At work I sometimes have reception in the cooler. Is it still hard to call a different country nowadays like Lucy trying to get through to her mother in "Homesick?"

and I meant Lucy and Viv would have to order another ceramic cat online if the store was sold out and they couldn't get the one in Bigelows. And also, why couldn't Lucy just call Mrs. Mulford and cancel the hat order? Was it on sale?

Anymore HL plots? I guess the gold rush/gorboona/Africa plots would work today I guess.

And would "Lucy Visits the White House" work today? Lucy could've called a cab or something either way, instead of stealing the horse. lol. Or she could've used Siri to see where she could find sugar cubes and glue within the area.

Lucy Buys a Boat would work today if Lucy and Viv left their phones at the dock.

And would "Lucy Visits the White House" work today? Lucy could've called a cab or something either way, instead of stealing the horse. lol. Or she could've used Siri to see where she could find sugar cubes and glue within the area.

She could have called a cab while she was at the cafe too at the time.

Ricky would most likely be playing gigs in a rock/cover band at pool halls nowadays since hardly anybody does those types of Tropicana shows anymore. But at least in my city we have the Downstairs Cabaret theater which is similar. I would love to have gone to see the acts at the Tropicana. Beautiful music and costumes. They have it at the Lucy Museum but you have to reserve the room and it's mostly for private parties.

Also Lucy's home movies wouldn't work since she could've just easily spliced together her footage and Ricky's using video software and it wouldn't be all crazy.

Would "Bonus Bucks" still work today? Just with a winning lottery ticket? Or do they not have those laundry places anymore (aside from laundromats)

These aren't plot related, but are two things you wouldn't see today:

In "Ricky Has Labor Pains," the doctor makes a house call and then lights up a cigarette in front of a pregnant woman."

In "Return Home From Europe," Lucy gets a big knife from the airplane kitchen. I hope it isn't that easy to acquire a butcher knife on a plane today.

• 2 weeks later...

Ricky could've asked Siri to find a cafe that makes papaya juice milkshakes, or just gone to the store and bought a papaya and ice cream and make it himself. I am not sure that they sold papayas in the produce section back in 1952.

Lucy could've gone to the Rodgers and Hammerstein show today and still got the call about the furniture, either on her cell or home voicemail.

They could've even done this back in the 50s--if none of the girls could play instruments, they could've just recorded Ricky's band playing on tape and played it back and "lip-synced." Or just play some records. They spent all that time trying to learn just that ONE song.

Lucy could've just sent a text to Ross Elliot today, for proof that Ricky came home the night before, even if he was on a plane. And called her mechanic boyfriend to fix Uncle Harry's car, even when he was on a boat.

Lucy could've gone to the Rodgers and Hammerstein show today and still got the call about the furniture, either on her cell or home voicemail.

True, but if Lucy's ringer had gone off in the middle of "South Pacific" starring Patti LuPone as Ensign Nellie Forbush, that may have been the end of the Lucy character. Or at least a two parter as doctors race to remove a cell phone out of an orifice.

Archived