Favorite Lucy apartment/house

Of all the shows, what was your favorite house/apartment that Lucy lived in?

I loved the first apartment that the Ricardos lived in. Just looked nice and cozy. I also would've loved to live in the Connecticut house.

Wasn't too crazy about the Danfield house. Just looked so open and big and boring. I liked their kitchen though. Maybe it was because of the colors of the walls that made it seem so drab. But drabness of a house shouldn't matter as long as we have Lucy to split our sides!

Lucy Carmichael's Hollywood apartment was cool, I liked how she had the little partition bars on the step by the door.

Lucy Carter's kitchen was cool. Very nice and chic for the times. And that green flowered wallpaper on the wall by the stairs. There was also a little floor partition.

The Barker/McGibbon household was very similar to the Lucy/Viv Danfield house.

I'm gonna go with the first Ricardo apartment.

Wow, great thread idea. I love the New York apartment but did get claustraphobic after a while, so it was nice to see that beautiful Hollywood hotel room for a while. The house in the country was amazing, but i hate that old LOOK although it was quite cozy. I agree the Danfield house was too drab and boring but the Hollywood apartment she later had was better, but my favorite by far was the elegance and set up in that Here's Lucy living room.

Oh, that’s such a good question. The Carter kitchen was my least favorite as I can’t stand the colors in the kitchen. Probably because I remember those 70’s colors from when I was a kid.

The NYC apt I couldn't stand to live in for too long, as it seemed so small. Too bad we never got to see the bedroom of the Carmichael Hollywood apt.

I would pick the CT house as it had so much space. I liked the fireplace position and such a good idea to do the double couch back to back thing. The den right off the front door is very nice. The kitchen even seemed big for that era. The backyard patio was nice and the whole backyard area seemed to be pretty private. And you got a guest house too, and who knows how much more land as those chickens had to go somewhere.

Oh, that’s such a good question. The Carter kitchen was my least favorite as I can’t stand the colors in the kitchen. Probably because I remember those 70’s colors from when I was a kid.

The NYC apt I couldn't stand to live in for too long, as it seemed so small. Too bad we never got to see the bedroom of the Carmichael Hollywood apt.

I would pick the CT house as it had so much space. I liked the fireplace position and such a good idea to do the double couch back to back thing. The den right off the front door is very nice. The kitchen even seemed big for that era. The backyard patio was nice and the whole backyard area seemed to be pretty private. And you got a guest house too, and who knows how much more land as those chickens had to go somewhere.

That's weird that we never saw the Carmichael Hollywood apartment bedroom! Wonder why that was?

I would have to say the HOUSE on Here's Lucy.. is my favorite living space that Lucy occupied and runner up would definately be the Hollywood Hotel Suite in I Love Lucy

That living room on Here's Lucy was just perfect, those two sliding door openings to get to the patio garden in the back, the amazing fireplace, the yellow color scheme which was Lucy's favorite. The opening to the kitchen, the stairs leading to the bedrooms, even the friggin pillows were perfect. Remember when Harry rode that electric wheelchair through the whole house, in and out, perfect set up. The set decorator should have gotten a huge raise for his work on this one. The door, closet, bookcases, those long ottomans, man, was it ever well done.

Also, why was the kitchen set changed in the Danfield house? As I recall, we didn't really see the new kitchen until halfway through season 2. Would've been nice to see the original one in color but on that color still of "Lucy's Sister Pays a Visit" of Lucy and Viv drunkenly "decorating" the cake, it was yellow walls. I thought it would've been a more muted color, but I looked at it in black and white and it looks exactly the same as on the b&w episode. I think they re-used it in "Lucy Gets her Maid" at the house where the club was having the dinner.

Yes the CT house was beautiful, as someone mentioned I liked the back patio where the barbecue was.

The second Ricardo's apartment! Once they got Lucy's "mink stole" couch in the living room, it made it LIVE. I adore that couch. I know it's not the best looking one but there's just something sentimental about that set. But 2nd runner up is the whole layout of the Ricardo's country house and the Carter's house. The Carter's house was so lovely, I'd move into a move that beautiful in a heartbeat! But I adore the broadness of the ILL country house. By saying that I mean we get to see everything! The living room, den, kitchen, the guest house, garden, garage, everything! They out did themselves with that set.

Also, why was the kitchen set changed in the Danfield house? As I recall, we didn't really see the new kitchen until halfway through season 2. Would've been nice to see the original one in color but on that color still of "Lucy's Sister Pays a Visit" of Lucy and Viv drunkenly "decorating" the cake, it was yellow walls. I thought it would've been a more muted color, but I looked at it in black and white and it looks exactly the same as on the b&w episode. I think they re-used it in "Lucy Gets her Maid" at the house where the club was having the dinner.

Yes the CT house was beautiful, as someone mentioned I liked the back patio where the barbecue was.

If you ever want to see an old fashionned ugly or rather plain kitchen that says THE NINETEEN FIFTIES, you don't need to go to the Danfield set, just look at Lucy's Roxbury house one, it can be seen in Lee Tanne's or Jim Brochu's books. Lucy never believed in remodelling or updating in her real life but at least had beautiful sets to work in and nice offices too, her Universal office being the all time best looking, it even reminds me of the Here's Lucy set, maybe the same person did both.

Good topic!

My favourite is the Hollywood Apartment. It just seemed so refreshing and relaxing! Who wouldn't like a view of Hollywood!?

"Look! Its Hollywood OUT THERE!!!"

I know, BUT, notice how they had to constantly make improvements to that backdrop, it was so obvious that it was just that, a painted backdrop, you could see the cars NOT MOVING. So, first they added those large plants to hide some of the flaws, but at least it worked well at night, the UNMOVING cars now were lit up, LOL!

The second Ricardo's apartment! Once they got Lucy's "mink stole" couch in the living room, it made it LIVE. I adore that couch. I know it's not the best looking one but there's just something sentimental about that set. But 2nd runner up is the whole layout of the Ricardo's country house and the Carter's house. The Carter's house was so lovely, I'd move into a move that beautiful in a heartbeat! But I adore the broadness of the ILL country house. By saying that I mean we get to see everything! The living room, den, kitchen, the guest house, garden, garage, everything! They out did themselves with that set.

Yup, agreed, out of all her living rooms, in that tiny apartment, the window added a lot to the LOOK, the first living room set was so old fashionned and ugly but the one you describe was the nicest, it looked more modern, although i loved the sectional one also that went to Fred's when the remodelling went wrong in their apartment.

I wonder how long the Ricardos lived in their CT house. Until the 80s?

And I wonder how long Lucy Carter lived in her house--until her death in 1989?

Also, note that the outside of Mr. Mooney's house in "Lucy and the Bank Scandal" is the exact same set as the outside of Lucy's house in "Lucy Gets the Bird." And the roof is different in that episode than in "TV Antenna."

Also, was the Hollywood apartment kitchen recycled from the season 2-3 kitchen of the Danfield house? Looked awfully similar.

And Mr. Mooney's house kept changing. As well as Uncle Harry's. Unless Harry moved after Lucy nearly destroyed his house in "Lucy the Fixer"

Good topic!

I think my absolute favourite would be the Ricardo's second apartment 3B(D). Especially once the middle of the third season rolled around, it just looked so chic and elegant. It's amazing they were able to take that admittedly not-great living space and make it look so great. I think my favourite instance would be Fan Magazine Interview. For me, that episodes epotomizes when the show had reached the peak. Lucille's fashions were so glamorous, they were all dressed up the entire show, and everything just looked so lovely yet homey at the same time.

I'm surprised at all the dislike of the Danfield house, I always loved that set. True, the colours were drab at first, but I loved the green makeover it got. Really made everything pop. I guess I liked it because it's kind of my ideal of suburbia. It really felt like a little suburban home and part of a really nice neighbourhood to live in. Plus it was nice and spacious...admittedly a bit too spacious for necessity but still nice.

Lucy Carter's house had a great design but the uber-70s colour scheme kind of makes me wince from time to time. Needless to say green and yellow combined is not my ideal mix. Reminds me too much of broccolli and cheese :lucydisgust:

Obviously the most iconic is the Ricardo's original apartment, 4A. It tends to get re-created the most and for a reason. Something very sedate and simple about it...much like the charming, humble origins of the first season.

I like Lucy Whitaker's house in Indiana. (Lucy Calls The President).

Yeah, loved that one also, man, the woman sure had lots of great sets. Even the Lucy Barker one was nice. The problem with the original apartment is that it was so devoid of any appeal in the beginning but like all show sets, it just got better as it went along, how could she have hidden on the ledge if they hadn't gone with the new window apartment and the nursery also. Even the bathroom looked nice, that one time that we got to see it. We saw only the kitchen and living room for the Mertzs and thank God, because that was the worst of all. Tiny living room but huge kitchen.

Fun topic!

I vote for the CT house. So spacious after the city apartment! Loved the layout, the large windows & fireplace, the outdoor spaces, & as Luvsbway said, the two couches back to back. I so wish they had filmed several more seasons of the show there!

For nostalgia's sake I'll always be fond of the second NY apartment because of all the good memories that were made there. Third would be the Hollywood suite.

1. I vote for the Connecticut house. It's beautiful, has a bit of history, and is next door to Tallulah Bankhead. What more could a person want? LOL

2. The Carter House. Despite the kitchen colours, it has great windows.

3. The Beverly Palms Suite

4. Apartment 3B/D

5. The Glen Hall Apartments

6. The Carmichael-Bagley Residence. This would have been higher in the list, but it has bothered me for almost 13 years that after Lucy and Viv redecorated they inexplicably forgot to re-paint the patch of wall above the living room closet door.

7. Apartment 4A. The windowless living room (and we're not counting the one on the fourth wall) makes it so claustrophobic. The Benson's window made a world of difference.

Archived