Dark Horses (and I don't mean Lightnin' Rod)

You're right! Amazing considering I just recently watched two of my fave HLs (MJ's Boyfriend; Lucy is NG as RN) in which she's prominently featured! :D

Funny you should mention that one, Lucy is NG as RN, just watched it now, Mary Jane's voice is so unusual, it reminds me of Georgia Engel in being funny just on it's own, just her speaking is funny.

I know this isn't a episode but I didn't expect to like Forever Darling. But I did end up falling in love with the plot of this movie and the whole sleeping bag scene.

Also I was skeptic to watch Mame. I was afraid the reviews were right. But watched it and just thought what the hell were all those critics smoking?!

I know this isn't a episode but I didn't expect to like Forever Darling. But I did end up falling in love with the plot of this movie and the whole sleeping bag scene.

Also I was skeptic to watch Mame. I was afraid the reviews were right. But watched it and just thought what the hell were all those critics smoking?!

Remember that half the critics loved her in Mame, well most of them loved her, it's the movie they had issues with. As for Forever Darling, it was a let down after the terrific Long Long Trailer.

Remember that half the critics loved her in Mame, well most of them loved her, it's the movie they had issues with. As for Forever Darling, it was a let down after the terrific Long Long Trailer.

Yep I knew that, I was just skeptic but it was the Lucy movie I wanted to see most to see what all the hoopla was about! Lucy didn't fail, hell when does she ever?!

Yep I knew that, I was just skeptic but it was the Lucy movie I wanted to see most to see what all the hoopla was about! Lucy didn't fail, hell when does she ever?!

Three words, LIFE WITH LUCY and i blame the lousy producer for that fiasco. DAMN YOU GOLDAPER!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the late-in-run Phil Harris episode has some great moments, mainly, as you describe below, the casual and cute way Phil and Lucy talk to each other. I remember the "pastel" line. It seems to take Lucy by surprise. I don't think Phil is adhering to the script which is always refreshing in Lucy's shows.....Isn't there some line by Phil referring to Lucy, "Yeah, she's all (3 squawking noises), but she's alright" . Are the lyrics to the round the world tour of "That's What I Like about the South" offensive? I can't tell.

Another Dark Horse for me in the other Phil Harris episode from 6 years earlier. Lucy's piano bar singing-along is really hilarious. She's being obnoxious and that is sometimes off-putting, but she's having such a good time and seems oblivious to the crowd's reaction. Mooney's embarrassment is priceless. This is one of those episodes that people either love or hate.

Just realized Phil Harris appeared in one of the last episodes of two of her series. Jack, Phil, Dennis Day, Mary, Benny Rubin (seems like I'm leaving someone out)---just about everybody from the jack Benny show appeared on Lucy except Rochester and Don Wilson, I guess. Was Mel Blanc ever on a Lucy show?

After all these years of Drafted-Bashing, I'm going to have to sit through it again. I'll bet it's not as bad as all that. As a kid, I don't remember ever sitting through an ILL and thinking it wasn't a good one.

I think I've posted this before, but the last episode of ILL I saw for the first time (if that makes sense) was "The Ricardos Visit Cuba". I found out that it was not included in the CBS morning showing of ILL for political reasons (I guess). Luckily the LDCH "Havana" didn't suffer the same fate. I don't think Visits Cuba" was included when ILL was first syndicated in 1967, because it wasn't until the 80s when I finally saw it. I had seen that cigar-rolling pic of Lucy and had no idea what episode it was from.

Having just watched it for perhaps the first time since it originally aired or repeated a few months after, I really -- surprisingly -- enjoyed the last season Here's Lucy episode guest starring Phil Harris, who managed to do something few before or after him managed to do and that was break Lucy up to the point that he had to ad lib around her laughing so hard she couldn't stop -- and best of all, they left it in (see current signature & pic, below)!

She rarely broke character -- at least based on the finished edited product -- so this was nice to see and quite not the norm, for sure.

(He refers to her as "pastel", in reference I suppose to the purple outfit she was wearing, and quite flattering with her red hair, etc. Over sixty and still smokin'! ;))

I agree that the late-in-run Phil Harris episode has some great moments, mainly, as you describe below, the casual and cute way Phil and Lucy talk to each other. I remember the "pastel" line. It seems to take Lucy by surprise. I don't think Phil is adhering to the script which is always refreshing in Lucy's shows.....Isn't there some line by Phil referring to Lucy, "Yeah, she's all (3 squawking noises), but she's alright" . Are the lyrics to the round the world tour of "That's What I Like about the South" offensive? I can't tell.

Another Dark Horse for me in the other Phil Harris episode from 6 years earlier. Lucy's piano bar singing-along is really hilarious. She's being obnoxious and that is sometimes off-putting, but she's having such a good time and seems oblivious to the crowd's reaction. Mooney's embarrassment is priceless. This is one of those episodes that people either love or hate.

Just realized Phil Harris appeared in one of the last episodes of two of her series. Jack, Phil, Dennis Day, Mary, Benny Rubin (seems like I'm leaving someone out)---just about everybody from the jack Benny show appeared on Lucy except Rochester and Don Wilson, I guess. Was Mel Blanc ever on a Lucy show?

After all these years of Drafted-Bashing, I'm going to have to sit through it again. I'll bet it's not as bad as all that. As a kid, I don't remember ever sitting through an ILL and thinking it wasn't a good one.

I think I've posted this before, but the last episode of ILL I saw for the first time (if that makes sense) was "The Ricardos Visit Cuba". I found out that it was not included in the CBS morning showing of ILL for political reasons (I guess). Luckily the LDCH "Havana" didn't suffer the same fate. I don't think Visits Cuba" was included when ILL was first syndicated in 1967, because it wasn't until the 80s when I finally saw it. I had seen that cigar-rolling pic of Lucy and had no idea what episode it was from.

The Lucy Show Phil Harris episode is definitely in my top 10 favourites from TLS! It's so funny and poignant! Makes me laugh and cry!

I agree on the Phil Harris episodes. Put me in the love camp. I had missed the “pastel” reference until someone here mentioned it. I went back and watched that HL episode to find it and the little dressing room scene between him and Lucy is really cute. I remember watching that piano bar scene from the LS episode when I was 13/14 years old and thinking, that looks so fancy, I want to do that when I’m a grownup. I agree that Lucy at the piano is done well. Her singing is not annoying (as sometimes her butting in gets to be in later seasons) but is fun to watch her having a good time and I love all the annoyed reactions. I think Phil has a good warmth to him that not a lot of late LS and HL guests had.

As someone who pointed out before the semi off- script moments are so cute as I love to see Lucy react to something unexpected and totally roll with it. In the HL appearance that final number started a question with Charlie and me. So many big band leaders had a particular interment (as pointed out in this song), but we could not come up with what band leader’s main instrument was the saxophone.

Was Mel Blanc ever on a Lucy show?.

Mel Blanc, appears with Lucille Ball, Show Business at War, 1943; Lucille co-star, The Fuller Brush Girl, 1950; guest Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars “Jack Benny Celebrates His 40th Birthday”, 1958, Angel “Angel's Temper”, 1960; Lucille guest, The Lucy Show, with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) “Lucy Gets the Bird”, 1964; guest, Desilu Productions', The Mothers-In-Law “The Birth of Everything But the Blues”, 1968; Lucille guest (“Here's Lucy”) “Lucy Goes to the Air Force Academy, Part 2”, with Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz IV 1969; appears with Lucille, Jack Benny's Twentieth Anniversary Special, 1970; with Lucille, Showbiz Goes to War, 1982; as well as with Lucille, both via archival footage, Entertaining the Troops, 1994; is born this date in 1908.

Archived