Dark Horses (and I don't mean Lightnin' Rod)

Having just watched it for perhaps the first time since it originally aired or repeated a few months after, I really -- surprisingly -- enjoyed the last season Here's Lucy episode guest starring Phil Harris, who managed to do something few before or after him managed to do and that was break Lucy up to the point that he had to ad lib around her laughing so hard she couldn't stop -- and best of all, they left it in (see current signature & pic, below)!

She rarely broke character -- at least based on the finished edited product -- so this was nice to see and quite not the norm, for sure.

(He refers to her as "pastel", in reference I suppose to the purple outfit she was wearing, and quite flattering with her red hair, etc. Over sixty and still smokin'! ;))

Having just watched it for perhaps the first time since it originally aired or repeated a few months after, I really -- surprisingly -- enjoyed the last season Here's Lucy episode guest starring Phil Harris, who managed to do something few before or after him managed to do and that was break Lucy up to the point that he had to ad lib around her laughing so hard she couldn't stop -- and best of all, they left it in (see current signature & pic, below)!

She rarely broke character -- at least based on the finished edited product -- so this was nice to see and quite not the norm, for sure.

(He refers to her as "pastel", in reference I suppose to the purple outfit she was wearing, and quite flattering with her red her, etc. Over sixty and still smokin'! ;))

Man, i gotta watch that, glowing review, can't believe i don't even remember that although pastel does ring a bell.

I've had the opposite happen to me Brock -- having seen TLS & HL episodes only once each since they came out on DVD, I expected to like them all but was dissapointed in several due to poor plot, loud bickering, monkeys & fake bears.

I disagree with those who say TLS was better after Lucy left. My criteria for this is that I can remember most of the episodes Lucy & Viv were in, but after Viv left the rest are just a blurred memory where no one episode really stands out.

TLS was better after Lucy left.

I dun't thin Lucy ever left, thank God, because the Viv show would have been cancelled early, LOL! I understand what you're saying though, they were so great together, but not every adventure she had was for two, so with Viv gone, it gave them a chance to concentrate on just Lucy and i being a huge LUCY fan, I liked that better. BUT HEY, THAT'S JUST ME, sorry.

I dun't thin Lucy ever left, thank God, because the Viv show would have been cancelled early, LOL! I understand what you're saying though, they were so great together, but not every adventure she had was for two, so with Viv gone, it gave them a chance to concentrate on just Lucy and i being a huge LUCY fan, I liked that better. BUT HEY, THAT'S JUST ME, sorry.

But the thing is, she was rarely ever truly "alone", she almost always had support from someone else, be it Gale, Mary Jane, Ann Sothern, Desi or on a few occassions, Bill or even the "guest star du jour." To slight Viv and say that she was better without her, I get that that's some folks preference but I just don't feel the same way. :lucyshy:

But the thing is, she was rarely ever truly "alone", she almost always had support from someone else, be it Gale, Ann Sothern, Desi or on a few occassions, Bill or even the "guest star du jour." To slight Viv and say that she was better without her, I get that that's some folks preference but I just don't feel the same way. :lucyshy:

I said the show got to explore different avenues once Viv bailed and i tuned in THE LUCY SHOW to see Lucy, no one else, BUT of course she wasn't doing a solo, she HAD to have co stars. Let's remember that Viv thought she was her equal back then and she clearly wasn't, she asked for the moon and Lucy was told to let her go seeing as that's what she wanted so much, so she did and besides a few roles, nobody ever got their due when working with Lucy, people only noticed her. So she sold coffee and never again got the respect she truly deserved.

But the thing is, she was rarely ever truly "alone", she almost always had support from someone else, be it Gale, Ann Sothern, Desi or on a few occassions, Bill or even the "guest star du jour." To slight Viv and say that she was better without her, I get that that's some folks preference but I just don't feel the same way. :lucyshy:

You left out (the underrated) Mary Jane!

Archived