Favorite Movies by Decade

Good idea!

1930s -- Stage Door (in theory. Having Wonderful Time in process)

1940s -- Easy To Wed (with Lured nipping at its heels)

1950s -- The Fuller Brush Girl

1960s/70s/80s -- Mame (if this was limited to just the 60s, the answer would be The Facts of Life)

Wow, the two BIG experts chose Mame, i'm shocked! I would like to know why you picked Fuller Brush Girl over Long Long Trailer though.

I like The Long, Long Trailer a lot, but, to me, it plays too much like an I Love Lucy episode without the Mertzes or the great writing team. I think The Fuller Brush Girl is a great showcase for Lucy and is uproariously funny.

I like The Long, Long Trailer a lot, but, to me, it plays too much like an I Love Lucy episode without the Mertzes or the great writing team. I think The Fuller Brush Girl is a great showcase for Lucy and is uproariously funny.

Ok, i guess. But i would think you could say that about Fuller Brush Girl too, that it plays like a few I Love Lucy eps put together. I mean, she gets drunk, she gets those women to lose their hair, she has stunts with clotheslines and the deck of a boat, not to mention explosives, the boat explodes and they're the only ones left surviving, with the bird. She's chased by killers, gets accused of something she's not, dresses up with funny make up to strip, sounds like a whiole bunch of ILL eps if you ask me, LOL! Although i agree it's a riot, non stop laughs that showed what she could do comedy wise.

Ok, i guess. But i would think you could say that about Fuller Brush Girl too, that it plays like a few I Love Lucy eps put together. I mean, she gets drunk, she gets those women to lose their hair, she has stunts with clotheslines and the deck of a boat, not to mention explosives, the boat explodes and they're the only ones left surviving, with the bird. She's chased by killers, gets accused of something she's not, dresses up with funny make up to strip, sounds like a whiole bunch of ILL eps if you ask me, LOL!

I Love Lucy sounds like a few vignettes from The Fuller Brush Girl after this post. :lucythrill:

I Love Lucy sounds like a few vignettes from The Fuller Brush Girl after this post. :lucythrill:

I know, i had just never thought of it like that before. It WAS a riot, no argument there, saw it in school, remember, and that audience just never stopped laughing, of course they were all French, so you know how the French feel about slapstick Jerry Lewis type comedy . . . but being a woman, she did it so much better than jerry.

My feelings, exactly. LOL! Who the hell wants to see her in those walk ons or one line boring black and white dramas where she was not allowed to shine.

Probably the same people who were thrilled to discover there are a multitude of wondaful 1930s films where Lucy is either the leading lady or second female lead.

Don’t discount the films of the 30’s. It’s like watching Lucy in acting school. Yes I don’t pull out my copy of Bunker Bean often, and she doesn’t have big parts in Room Service or Follow the Fleet but you can see a talent starting to develop. Heck she made enough of an impression in the first Annabel movie for them to make a second one. I like those Annabel movie because you start to see her working with comedy and finding it fit her. That One Live Ghost short that was on TCM recently is a perfect example of this. Early, early work in a throw away part, but you saw Lucy was really experimenting here, trying to find something to work with as a prop, how to create a character. Most people’s early acting school days we don’t get to see, but with Lucy we do and it’s so great. One of these nights I am going to do a 30’s-80’s marathon selecting the best from each decade. I just haven’t come up with my list yet. Any ideas?

Don’t discount the films of the 30’s. It’s like watching Lucy in acting school. Yes I don’t pull out my copy of Bunker Bean often, and she doesn’t have big parts in Room Service or Follow the Fleet but you can see a talent starting to develop. Heck she made enough of an impression in the first Annabel movie for them to make a second one. I like those Annabel movie because you start to see her working with comedy and finding it fit her. That One Live Ghost short that was on TCM recently is a perfect example of this. Early, early work in a throw away part, but you saw Lucy was really experimenting here, trying to find something to work with as a prop, how to create a character. Most people’s early acting school days we don’t get to see, but with Lucy we do and it’s so great. One of these nights I am going to do a 30’s-80’s marathon selecting the best from each decade. I just haven’t come up with my list yet. Any ideas?

Ok, this great argument i can live with, you sold me, i'm gonna pop in that slew of movies from that period that i have in the back of the drawer right now. And i always liked the Annabel movies, what i was criticizing were the ONE LINE B movies she did at RKO.

Archived