Lucy and Valerie at 1971 Emmys

Will

http://www.etonline.com/news/131579_Next_ET_Valerie_Harper_Talks_Cancer_and_Mary_Tyler_Moore/index.html

Here is the link to the promo feature Lucy giving Valerie the Emmy. I wish I could have found more footage but I am so busy helping everyone. I love this forum because I love seeing rare clips. If anyone saw this show, what else did Valerie say about Lucy.

Oh that was fun to see, watched it three times. Lucy looked really pleased with Val winning, wonder of Gale had been nominated against Ed.

Yes, this year was Gale's only nomination for Here's Lucy. It was the only year Here's Lucy was nominated for anything. Bob and Madelyn lost the Comedy Writing award to the Mary Tyler Moore writers.

After Jack and Lucy were introduced and the applause died down, Jack said, in his slow deliberate style,

"Lucy, it's a thrill...to even be asked...to appear at the Emmy Awards"

Lucy: "What's so thrilling about it, we weren't even nominated"

(after laughter she continues)

"And not only that, one of my reruns is opposite this tonight..."

Jack: "oh?"

Lucy: And YOU'RE on it!

jack: "Well, let's get this over with so we can go watch it"

This was followed by a rather clumsily edited compilation of lines read by the nominees in the supporting categories (this may have included drama, not sure). No identifiers accompanied the clips. Gale's line was from Burtons....something about "your fat little finger".

The clips ended rather abruptly and the camera came back to Lucy and Jack staring at the monitor.

Lucy read the list of nominees herself. Just the names, not the shows. She beamed as she said "Gale Gordon" Then she proceeded to announce the winners. Hence, jack's comment to Valerie "use this one (microphone). I haven't said anything."

I'm sure Lucy would have loved to have presented the award to Gale, but did not show her disappointment when Asner won.

I think Valerie was getting a little miffed that they kept interrupting her.

This was the first year of MTM and also the first for All in the Family, which had started mid-season. Family and MTM got all the comedy awards, except for the surprise win of jack Klugman over Carroll O'Connor. Pretty impressive for MTM, because it was more standard sitcom fare in its first season, much more "That Girl"-esque than what it became. Not to knock Mary, but Valerie was the person that made the show extra special from the outset. Ed and Cloris were great also. I don't think Ted had blossomed yet. I think the entire main cast of MTM eventually won acting awards, except for Gavin McLeod, who was never even nominated (and deservedly not). Georgia Engel, nancy Walker (and Julie Kavner) were all nominated but did not win. All 4 principles of "Family" eventually won acting awards.

Had Gale, and Bob/Madelyn been nominated the previous season, they might have had a chance.

I wonder if the clips shown during the clumsily edited compilation (I agree) were the episodes the actors were nominated for. I still have not figured out at what time people submitted individual episodes to be nominated. Gale's clip was from "Lucy Meets the Burtons," as you said, which would be the obvious choice for his nomination (although his performance in "Lucy's Vacation" is particularly Emmy worthy as well). Valerie's clip was from the second episode of the series "Today I Am a Ma'am" and Ed Asner's was the pilot, which were both perfect choices for them. Later in the show, when they present the lead acting awards, Mary's clip is from "He's All Yours," in which Lou Grant's nephew starts a rumor he and Mary are having an affair. I always thought this was one of the weakest episodes of the series and a strange choice for Emmy consideration for Mary.

"Mary Tyler Moore" won the Best Supporting Actress Emmy every year for six of its seven year run. Julie Kavner did eventually win the Emmy in 1978 for the fourth season of Rhoda.

"Mary Tyler Moore" won the Best Supporting Actress Emmy every year for six of its seven year run. Julie Kavner did eventually win the Emmy in 1978 for the fourth season of Rhoda.

I didn't know the above trivia. So who won each of the 7 years?.....I thought Sally won more than one year. She and Valerie tied one year over the third nominee Cloris. When it was announced that it was a tie, Valerie was announced first and the camera was on her as she smiled broadly and looked at Cloris, assuming the tie was with her. When Sally was announced, Valerie's facial expression changed to disappointment---one of the few times you saw someone react negatively to someone else's win.

I didn't know the above trivia. So who won each of the 7 years?.....I thought Sally won more than one year. She and Valerie tied one year over the third nominee Cloris. When it was announced that it was a tie, Valerie was announced first and the camera was on her as she smiled broadly and looked at Cloris, assuming the tie was with her. When Sally was announced, Valerie's facial exp<b></b>ression changed to disappointment---one of the few times you saw someone react negatively to someone else's win.

Valerie writes in her autobiography how disappointed she was when Cloris' name was not announced after hers. Cloris had just won the Oscar a month before, so I imagine it wasn't a huge disappointment for her. Cloris would go on to win NINE Emmys. I would have loved for Valerie and Cloris to have tied to following year. They were both especially outstanding that season.

Sally Struthers eventually won again in 1979.

The best supporting Emmys during the MTM years:

1971: Valerie and Ed

1972: Valerie (tie with Sally Struthers) and Ed

1973: Val and Ted Knight (Mary won Lead Actress; Cloris won Lead Actress in a TV movie for "A Brand New Life")

1974: Cloris for Best Supporting Actress. Rob Reiner won Supporting Actor. (This was the year of the infamous Super Emmy. Mary won for Lead Actress and Actress of the Year)

1975: Betty White and Ed Asner (Cloris won for "supporting performance in a single performance" in both the comedy and variety categories - the former for MTM and the latter for Cher's show. Valerie won Lead Actress for Rhoda)

1976: Betty and Ted. (Mary won Lead Actress over Valerie and Cloris, Ed won for Rich Man, Poor Man. Four out of the five Best Supporting Actress nominees were MTM actors: Betty, Georgia, Nancy Walker, and Julie Kavner - Loretta Swit was the other nominee)

1977: No MTM winners: Mary Kay Place of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman and Gary Burghoff of MASH won. Ed Asner won for Roots, though.

I didn't know the above trivia. So who won each of the 7 years?.....I thought Sally won more than one year. She and Valerie tied one year over the third nominee Cloris. When it was announced that it was a tie, Valerie was announced first and the camera was on her as she smiled broadly and looked at Cloris, assuming the tie was with her. When Sally was announced, Valerie's facial expression changed to disappointment---one of the few times you saw someone react negatively to someone else's win.

Good for her for being honest about it instead of that fake smile they all do usually.

All this Emmy talk got me to look at the Emmys and Golden Globes from the 60s and 70s. As far as I can tell, the GGs didn't give out TV awards until 1962. Theirs are listed for the calendar year not the TV season. At first there were just 'winners'. Later nominees are included. Supporting player awards in TV weren't given every year and sometimes the categories of drama and comedy were combined ("Best Female TV star"). The first three TV awards given by Golden Globes for "Best TV Show" were won by "What's My Line?" My Three Sons and ........"MR. ED"!!!

Many GG winners were not even nominated for Emmys.

For instance, in 1970 the short-lived subject of Encino-based poison-pen letters "The Governor and JJ" swept the awards as Best TV Show, Best Male TV Star, future building-buyer Dan Dailey and Best Female TV Star Julie Sommers (JJ).

The show ran one full season but was canceled in the middle of its second.

I don't think I ever saw an episode.

Other curious nominations and wins:

Mickey Rooney a winner for his half-season "Mickey" in 1964.

Series nominees: "Wendy and Me" (George Burns comedy that ran for one season opposite LS), The Munsters, The Doris Day Show and That Girl. Neither The Lucy Show or Here's Lucy received any series nominations.

Female nominees: Julie Newman for My Living Doll, Phillis Diller for Pruitts (Lucy was not nominated this year), Barbara Eden, Doris Day and Debby Reynolds for the Debby Reynolds Show. Not knocking Debby as a performer, but she and the show are ....well, let's just say surprisingly sub-par.

Two years in a row in the Best Female TV Star category, NANCY SINATRA was nominated. For her specials "Movin' with Nancy" and "Nancy Sinatra Show"..........Did Frank strong-arm the nominating committee?

In the 70s the supporting players winners include Ruth Buzzi (for Laugh in NOT My Fair Buzzi), Sue Ann Langdon (for "Arnie"---never saw it), Hermoine Baddley for Maude, Betty Garrett for brief stint on "All in Family", Norman Fell for "3's Comp", Polly Holiday and her replacement Diane Ladd plus Pat Harringotn, Vic Tayback and Valerie Bertinelli for "One Day" . Polly, Vic and Valerie won 2 each. As did star Linda Lavin. Alice won as best series one year tying with the darling of the emmys "Taxi" a show whose appeal escaped me.

"Taxi" wasn't a bad show, but IMO not deserving of three Best Comedy emmys in a row. Granted the late 70s/early 80s competition wasn't much, but I was surprised to learn that "Mash", which I would have picked over Taxi, won only ONE Emmy as Best Comedy. Though nominated each of its seaons, it lost to MTM and All in the Family early, then to Taxi and finally to Barney Miller and Cheers in its (mash's) final two years. Mash was well compensated with acting, directing and writing awards.

All this Emmy talk got me to look at the Emmys and Golden Globes from the 60s and 70s. As far as I can tell, the GGs didn't give out TV awards until 1962. Theirs are listed for the calendar year not the TV season. At first there were just 'winners'. Later nominees are included. Supporting player awards in TV weren't given every year and sometimes the categories of drama and comedy were combined ("Best Female TV star"). The first three TV awards given by Golden Globes for "Best TV Show" were won by "What's My Line?" My Three Sons and ........"MR. ED"!!!

Many GG winners were not even nominated for Emmys.

For instance, in 1970 the short-lived subject of Encino-based poison-pen letters "The Governor and JJ" swept the awards as Best TV Show, Best Male TV Star, future building-buyer Dan Dailey and Best Female TV Star Julie Sommers (JJ).

The show ran one full season but was canceled in the middle of its second.

I don't think I ever saw an episode.

Other curious nominations and wins:

Mickey Rooney a winner for his half-season "Mickey" in 1964.

Series nominees: "Wendy and Me" (George Burns comedy that ran for one season opposite LS), The Munsters, The Doris Day Show and That Girl. Neither The Lucy Show or Here's Lucy received any series nominations.

Female nominees: Julie Newman for My Living Doll, Phillis Diller for Pruitts (Lucy was not nominated this year), Barbara Eden, Doris Day and Debby Reynolds for the Debby Reynolds Show. Not knocking Debby as a performer, but she and the show are ....well, let's just say surprisingly sub-par.

Two years in a row in the Best Female TV Star category, NANCY SINATRA was nominated. For her specials "Movin' with Nancy" and "Nancy Sinatra Show"..........Did Frank strong-arm the nominating committee?

In the 70s the supporting players winners include Ruth Buzzi (for Laugh in NOT My Fair Buzzi), Sue Ann Langdon (for "Arnie"---never saw it), Hermoine Baddley for Maude, Betty Garrett for brief stint on "All in Family", Norman Fell for "3's Comp", Polly Holiday and her replacement Diane Ladd plus Pat Harringotn, Vic Tayback and Valerie Bertinelli for "One Day" . Polly, Vic and Valerie won 2 each. As did star Linda Lavin. Alice won as best series one year tying with the darling of the emmys "Taxi" a show whose appeal escaped me.

"Taxi" wasn't a bad show, but IMO not deserving of three Best Comedy emmys in a row. Granted the late 70s/early 80s competition wasn't much, but I was surprised to learn that "Mash", which I would have picked over Taxi, won only ONE Emmy as Best Comedy. Though nominated each of its seaons, it lost to MTM and All in the Family early, then to Taxi and finally to Barney Miller and Cheers in its (mash's) final two years. Mash was well compensated with acting, directing and writing awards.

I watched both TAXI and M A S H and loved Taxi but hated Mash. Taxi got better as it went along while M A S H went the other way. It was easy to get a Globe, there were only 80 voting members and bribes worked very well till that scandal blew everything out in the open. No wonder Lucy never got anything but a few nominations, i'm sure gary was not up to forking out anything as a bribe.

Valerie writes in her autobiography how disappointed she was when Cloris' name was not announced after hers. Cloris had just won the Oscar a month before, so I imagine it wasn't a huge disappointment for her. Cloris would go on to win NINE Emmys. I would have loved for Valerie and Cloris to have tied to following year. They were both especially outstanding that season.

Sally Struthers eventually won again in 1979.

The best supporting Emmys during the MTM years:

1971: Valerie and Ed

1972: Valerie (tie with Sally Struthers) and Ed

1973: Val and Ted Knight (Mary won Lead Actress; Cloris won Lead Actress in a TV movie for "A Brand New Life")

1974: Cloris for Best Supporting Actress. Rob Reiner won Supporting Actor. (This was the year of the infamous Super Emmy. Mary won for Lead Actress and Actress of the Year)

1975: Betty White and Ed Asner (Cloris won for "supporting performance in a single performance" in both the comedy and variety categories - the former for MTM and the latter for Cher's show. Valerie won Lead Actress for Rhoda)

1976: Betty and Ted. (Mary won Lead Actress over Valerie and Cloris, Ed won for Rich Man, Poor Man. Four out of the five Best Supporting Actress nominees were MTM actors: Betty, Georgia, Nancy Walker, and Julie Kavner - Loretta Swit was the other nominee)

1977: No MTM winners: Mary Kay Place of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman and Gary Burghoff of MASH won. Ed Asner won for Roots, though.

Many thanks for this re-cap, Harry; so MUCH EASIER to see it in black and white than trying to research it from two or three sources. I appreciate it.

more Emmy thoughts (I suppose this should be a different thread)

During the years that Vivian Vance would have been nominated for The Lucy Show, the academy combined drama and comedy supporting players into one category and that included series and specials. The only comedy person to get a nomination was RoseMarie. The third season of TLS, the academy did away with nominations and no supporting players were winners. For the last 3 years of TLS, comedy series actors were given their own category. Despite having left Andy Griffith, Don Knotts received 2 more for Barney Fife guest shots, so vivian could have been nominated for 66-67 and 67-68. Gale was nominated both of those years but lost to Knotts and Werner Klemperer.

The best supporting comedy actress were Alice Pearce (over Rosemarie and Agnes Moorehead), Francis Bavier (over Nancy Kulp and Marion Lorne) and Marion Lorne (over Agnes, Marge Redmond-flying Nun, and Nita Talbot for Hogans Heroes). Both Bewitched wins were posthumous awards. The middle year Agnes got a nomination in the Lead Actress category which is the first year Lucy won for The Lucy Show.

During the years that Vivian Vance would have been nominated for The Lucy Show, the academy combined drama and comedy supporting players into one category and that included series and specials. The only comedy person to get a nomination was RoseMarie. The third season of TLS, the academy did away with nominations and no supporting players were winners. For the last 3 years of TLS, comedy series actors were given their own category. Despite having left Andy Griffith, Don Knotts received 2 more for Barney Fife guest shots, so vivian could have been nominated for 66-67 and 67-68. Gale was nominated both of those years but lost to Knotts and Werner Klemperer.

The best supporting comedy actress were Alice Pearce (over Rosemarie and Agnes Moorehead), Francis Bavier (over Nancy Kulp and Marion Lorne) and Marion Lorne (over Agnes, Marge Redmond-flying Nun, and Nita Talbot for Hogans Heroes). Both Bewitched wins were posthumous awards. The middle year Agnes got a nomination in the Lead Actress category which is the first year Lucy won for The Lucy Show.

Very informative, Neil; and my thanks for it. Loving you, JK

I don't care what thread you put it on, just post it, these are just a delight.

Oh that was fun to see, watched it three times. Lucy looked really pleased with Val winning, wonder if Gale had been nominated against Ed.

Yes Lucy looked very happy when Valerie won and she looked like she was having fun playing off of Jack. What a great night.

Yes Lucy looked very happy when Valerie won and she looked like she was having fun playing off of Jack. What a great night.

Well yeah, she was used to working with him and they had done so much together, she just played off his mock anger at not having much to say, SADLY, he died three years later.

Archived