TV Radio Mirror Articles

Neil

I bought a batch of TV Radio Mirror magazines. This magazine seems to be fixated on jackie Kennedy and the Lennon sisters, one of which is on practically every cover.

Here are some tidbits from articles and gossip columns.

June 1965: Lucy article: "How do you stay friends with your children's father?" Sub titled: "Before you get that divorce, read Lucille Ball's story! It may not change your mind, but we hope it will change your tactics." with a picture of Lucy and Gary and one of grey haired Desi and Edie.

April 1967: Lucy article: "How Lucille Ball Juggles Her 3 Religion Family" Sub-title "She's Protestant, Her children Catholic, Her Husband Jewish.."

Sept, 1972: In an article entitled "Stars of the Late Show", there's a profile of Marjorie Weaver, who I have never heard of. her big movie: "Sally Irene and Mary". The article starts out "In Westwood near Hollywood, there's a swank liquor store owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. DON BRIGGS." (Marjorie's husband)

I bought a batch of TV Radio Mirror magazines. This magazine seems to be fixated on jackie Kennedy and the Lennon sisters, one of which is on practically every cover.

June 1965: Lucy article: "How do you stay friends with your children's father?" Sub titled: "Before you get that divorce, read Lucille Ball's story! It may not change your mind, but we hope it will change your tactics." with a picture of Lucy and Gary and one of grey haired Desi and Edie.

April 1967: Lucy article: "How Lucille Ball Juggles Her 3 Religion Family" Sub-title "She's Protestant, Her children Catholic, Her Husband Jewish.."

Sept, 1972: In an article entitled "Stars of the Late Show", there's a profile of Marjorie Weaver, who I have never heard of. her big movie: "Sally Irene and Mary". The article starts out "In Westwood near Hollywood, there's a swank liquor store owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. DON BRIGGS." (Marjorie's husband)

What's ever been "swanky" about a liquor store?? Neil these are hysterical, especially the last one! :vanda:

Our Don Briggs was actually married to Audrey "Dorie Upson" Christie. They met in the original production of Without Love and stayed married until Don died.

These are great, Neil! Thanks.

Well you learn something new every day.....I would have thought with his sloppy smoking and coffee table cigarette burns, a swank liquor store would have been a natural progression.

And the ads!

"In DAT outfit?"

"Yeah, this is my guitar-playing outfit."

GuitarAd_zpsee178d8b.jpg

And when you're tired of the thing, you can bake it, chop it up into horderves and serve it up at Manhattan dinner parties to scare off snooty in-laws.

Monkey_zpsc441a292.jpg

Yes, you too can have a fully bosom LIKE THIS CARTOON!!

And lest anyone get the wrong idea, FOR WOMEN ONLY is in CAPS!

FullerBosom_zps9dc0e509.jpg

And when a gal needs to reduce to a size 12 in 2 days....A few hours in this and all that will be left will be your little kerchief

SteamCabinet_zpsf12fdfb2.jpg

I never missed TV Radio Mirror as Lucy was ALWAYS featured somewhere in it. There were loads of tv and movie magazines back then and this one was a fave of mine as a teen. Yes, they surely did have a fixation on La Kennedy, what the hell she had to do with TV i'll never know.

But oh how he "blossomed" just a couple years later -- where's the poolside pics of then?? ;)

Love that Big L is wearing her "Dean Martin" hairdo -- my absolute FAVORITE! :D

This was a very famous photo spread taken at home and i absolutely love it. Yes, the hairdo helped, especially her white face. I especially remember the one about the three religions, i think that's when i found out she was protestant.

And to Frank I say "Who doesn't?"

Muscle_zps6984e59b.jpg

Oh, Sally Sally Sally....but are you better off? Does the Christian Coalition know about the big side effect of this "Midol"?

Midol_zpsed4899a9.jpg

I didn't realize cracked false teeth was a huge problem. As hard as the low price and quick time fixing (8 minutes) is to resist, is it REALLY advisable to do this at home?

FalseTeeth_zps0a3857b7.jpg

And just look how much our second amendment rights have been cut back! You can't even buy a gun mail order from an ad in the back of TV Radio Mirror anymore......And maybe I'm not understanding how this "Honor House" product works....So these pellets just sting and don't penetrate skin? But HOW are they reusable? You go around picking up pellets you've shot. Well at least it's "not sold in NYC"!

gun_zpsc51736ef.jpg

Desi Jr.'s tubby period. His attempt to suck in his gut is only semi-successful.

Poolside_zps18a72af2.jpg

What a great, relaxed pose. Lucy looks so happy here. She always enjoyed her family and you can see she is beaming by them. I agree though that Desi Jr. grew up a lot in the year before Here's Lucy started. I would love the article on the three relgions scanned it sounds so interesting

What a great, relaxed pose. Lucy looks so happy here. She always enjoyed her family and you can see she is beaming by them. I agree though that Desi Jr. grew up a lot in the year before Here's Lucy started. I would love the article on the three relgions scanned it sounds so interesting

Well, there wasn't that much to it, just the fact that Lucy was Protestant, but she had promised Desi to bring up their kids Catholic and she later married a Jewish guy, morty goldpaper.

Well, there wasn't that much to it, just the fact that Lucy was Protestant, but she had promised Desi to bring up their kids Catholic and she later married a Jewish guy, morty goldpaper.

One of my favorite stories is that one night at dinner on Roxbury Drive, it dawned on a teenage Lucie that her mother was a different religion and asked, "Mom, what religion are you?" Lucy said, "I don't know....DeDe, what religion are we?" DeDe replied, "I don't know.... Presbyterian... I think." :marionstrong:

One of my favorite stories is that one night at dinner on Roxbury Drive, it dawned on a teenage Lucie that her mother was a different religion and asked, "Mom, what religion are you?" Lucy said, "I don't know....DeDe, what religion are we?" DeDe replied, "I don't know.... Presbyterian... I think." :marionstrong:

LOL! Yeah and i loved the fact that De De stopped taking the kids to Chruch when she saw they weren't getting anything out of attending and could not wait to leave, so when they stopped going, so did she. Unconventional women these De De and Lucy were, LOL!

I love that story. Lucy was a universalist she was ahead of her time and believed that there is a God but more one way to serve him. She believed in thinking positively and enjoying life. Many now see organized religion doesn't fill their spiritual needs but Dedee and Lucy were women that were way ahead of their time.

I love that story. Lucy was a universalist she was ahead of her time and believed that there is a God but more one way to serve him. She believed in thinking positively and enjoying life. Many now see organized religion doesn't fill their spiritual needs but Dedee and Lucy were women that were way ahead of their time.

Yeah, Lucy had loads of little WISDOM things like that, open one drawer at a time, take care of yourself, then you can take care of others, don't wallow in it, get yourself up and get going, stop blaming the world for your sorrows, and if you're driving, think of nothing but the wheel. Little things like that but very important things when you think of it.

Archived