Night of 100 Stars

Brock

Unused but appropriate lyric for Hal, Michelle and Nancy's homage to the sitcoms on the air at the time:

"Embarrassed are we, singing of all this junk.

Through most of this era, the comedies stunk"

Of the ones presented the only one I could stomach was "Newhart" and I had major reservations about that one.

Never understood the "Cosby" appeal. I suppose there was "Cheers" on the air at the time but no stars represented. Oh, and I liked Barney Miller.

Before I saw Michelle Lee on Joan Rivers with Lucy, I didn't realize what a comedienne she was. Why didn't she ever have a sitcom? "Knot's Landing" ("the only knots will be on Ricky's head) did not tap her talents.

I saw the first "Night of 100 stars" but wasn't aware of this one. Always thought Lucy's absence from the first was notable.

Didn't realize this took 6 HOURS to tape. Thought it was a recording of a live show.

Before I saw Michelle Lee on Joan Rivers with Lucy, I didn't realize what a comedienne she was. Why didn't she ever have a sitcom? "Knot's Landing" ("the only knots will be on Ricky's head) did not tap her talents.

Michele Lee is uproariously funny. She did a That Girl-like sitcom pilot in 1974 with Herbie Faye and Joyce Bulifant as her supporting players. I thought it was pretty good and should have sold. Perhaps CBS thought it was a bit too similar to Rhoda, which they were definitely putting on that fall.

I thought it interesting whomever recorded this had their finger on the pause button for several introductions, not sure what they're thinking or "criteria" was but certainly hard not to notice! Hmmm....Wonder if one or both Paley Centers have this in their oeuvre??

Sure brought back some wundaful memories (although I'm one of the few I'm sure that hate Lucy's black "shroud" dress and didn't she look a little under the weather?? Was this taped post Stone Pillow filming?? Perhaps that would explain her thin, wan appearance. ..) ;)

Archived