"Bobbywood" hits Hollywood Fringe Festival

Brock

A new performance on (inspired by?) the "life" (?) of ILL's Bobby Jellison, "Bobbywood: The Longest Death Scene", will hit the Hollywood Fringe Festival this June, a piece apparently written by his nephew, Bill Ratner. The description (and promo art) is intriguing to say the least. I hope some of our L.A. Members will go and see it what it's all about:

35ixgmc.jpg

Bill Ratner was watching I Love Lucy one night, when his father said, “That’s your uncle, Bobby the Bellboy.”

“I have an uncle on TV?”

Watched by tens of millions of fans, Ratner’s uncle, comedian Bobby Jellison, staggered into Lucy & Ricky Ricardo’s Beverly Palms Hotel suite carrying luggage, laundry, and priceless dialogue. But after thirteen episodes Bobby disappeared. Decades later Best of Hollywood Fringe honoree voice actor Bill Ratner tracked down his uncle Bobby. Come along on the search for Bobby the Bellboy and experience his hopes, dreams, and hallucinations, :lucyshock: in this unique world premier solo show starring Bill Ratner, one of Hollywood’s premier voice artists.

• HUNTINGTON POST: “More than just the premier voiceover talent in Hollywood today, Ratner writes with subtlety and texture worthy of a literary fiction master…”

• LA WEEKLY: “High-­caliber storyteller”

• Eight-­time winner: The Moth Story Slams

• Selected Best of Hollywood Fringe Festival 2012 for “Voices in my Head”

Bill Ratner’s stories are featured on National Public Radio (Strangers, The Business, Good Food.) He is the voice of movie trailers (The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Will Ferrell’s The Campaign, MegaMind, etc.,) Smithsonian Channel, Discovery, History, the voice of “Donnel Udina” in Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3, and “Flint” on G.I. Joe, Robot Chicken, and Family Guy.

http://www.hollywood...191?tab=details

This whole thing is very confusing. LOL

It's quite how this person claims to have brought Bobby a copy of Lucy's Zany Road Trip to autograph, considering he died nearly a decade and a half before that particular VHS set was released. :MrsRichardCarlson: This doesn't seem like such a hot show.

I remember finding a similar clip years ago with this man telling the story of this visit with his uncle Bobby Jellison. It made me sad to hear that "Bobby the Bellboy" was upset with Lucy & Desi at the end of his life, & so unhappy as well. If I had to guess, I would say this upcoming performance is based on the clip, which means it will probably be unflattering to all the characters -- as well as a real downer.

Some things are better left unsaid.

And the point of this drawn out story is......??

Those not intimately familiar with I Love Lucy probably don't know who Bobby the Bellboy is.

And other than the milkman, what non-Bobby roles did he play? I certainly don't remember him as a plumber.

Yes, he was great as Bobby and added a lot to the California episodes, not the least of which: continuity of characters, but does that entitle him to a part ownership of the show into perpetuity? He makes it sound like Desi pulled a fast one. Do other occasional supporting players on more recent shows automatically get a better arrangement?

And the point of this drawn out story is......??

Those not intimately familiar with I Love Lucy probably don't know who Bobby the Bellboy is.

And other than the milkman, what non-Bobby roles did he play? I certainly don't remember him as a plumber.

Yes, he was great as Bobby and added a lot to the California episodes, not the least of which: continuity of characters, but does that entitle him to a part ownership of the show into perpetuity? He makes it sound like Desi pulled a fast one. Do other occasional supporting players on more recent shows automatically get a better arrangement?

Neil: Here's what I have:

Robert Jellison, actor, 62 titles; of The Life of Riley fame, 6 episodes, as Waldo, 1949-50; William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) co-star, The Lady Takes A Sailor, as Mr. Crane, uncredited; Red Light, as man in hotel room, uncredited, 1949; guest (“I Love Lucy”) “The Gossip” 1952, “L.A. at Last”, “Lucy Gets Into Pictures”, “The Star Upstairs”, “Hollywood Anniversary”, “Bullfight Dance”, “Don Juan is Shelved”, “The Hedda Hopper Story”, 1955; The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, “Lucy Hunts Uranium”, as bellhop, 1958; as well as Desilu Studios'-filmed, My Favorite Martian “Never Trust a Naked Martian”, as Mister Dinkle, 1965; is born this date in 1908.

Archived