"I Love Lucy" Live On Stage: Coming to Orange Co. March 2014

JoeySanJoaquin

ILoveLucy_400x300.jpg

I LOVE LUCY® LIVE ON STAGE is the brand-new hit stage show adapted from the most beloved program in television history! America’s favorite foursome – Lucy, Ricky, Fred and Ethel – is live on stage and in color for the very first time!

It’s 1952 and you are a member of the studio audience awaiting the filming of two hilarious and oh-so-familiar I LOVE LUCY® episodes. Imagine stepping back in time onto the Desilu Playhouse soundstage where a charming host entertains and enlightens you to the behind-the-scenes filming process, the 1950s hi-fidelity technology and this brand-new thing called “television.” The episodes begin and you witness, firsthand, the side-splitting antics of that crazy redhead in the Ricardo’s New York apartment and thrill to the Cuban sounds of “The Ricky Ricardo Orchestra” at the famed Tropicana Nightclub. In-between scenes, The Crystaltone Singers perform live advertising jingles of the show’s newest sponsors in perfect 50s style harmony. Can you say “Brylcreem?!”

L.A. Examiner’s Ron Irwin says I LOVE LUCY® LIVE ON STAGE is “an absolutely brilliant and utterly engaging tribute to that iconic television show!” TV Guide’s William Keck calls it “the most entertaining stage production I’ve seen in years – including Broadway!

The truth is in the title – whether young or old, everybody really does LOVE LUCY!

3/18/2014 - 3/23/2014

Segerstrom Hall

Tickets start at $25

On sale starting: TBD

http://www.scfta.org/home/Events/EventDetail.aspx?EventID=1420&NavID=130

• 5 months later...

Nope. Not sure I want to see it again, I wasn't that impressed the first time and I didn't have to schlepp an hour away!!

Posted mainly as a "public service" for those who would like to see it, especially if they've already missed the opportunity. ;)

I've seen their ad for the Toronto show and it looks a mite cartoonish, but the reviews have been good.  T V Guide loved it.

• 4 weeks later...

I thoroughly enjoyed the I Love Lucy stage show last night. Nothing, of course, will ever compare to the original, but this was very funny and very entertaining. What I particularly liked about it was the tweaking of some of the episodes to bring in some minor elements from other shows – such as “Songs & Witty Sayings” in The Benefit was preceded by a hilarious rendition of “We’re The Pleasant Peasant Girls” from The Operetta. There was also a brief musical number added to Lucy Has Her Eyes Examined. The actors playing Lucy and Ricky in this production were the same as those who did the preview in Jamestown and they were top notch. Ethel and Fred are new to the production, I believe, and here I thought the actor playing “Fred’ trumped “Ethel”, who couldn’t really decide on what tone she wanted to bring to the role.

The “Studio” experience was a lot of fun as well, with 50s “plants” in the audience to keep things chugging along and there were a lot of funny things for the stagehands to do as well.

Another nice touch which really stood out for me was Sirena Irwin’s portrayal of Lucy. Although some of the things were paced differently on stage than they were on TV, she really had Lucy’s voice and physicality down. What stayed with me about her performance was her “Lucille Ball’ voice was very slightly, but noticeably different than her “Lucy Ricardo” voice,  which added so much to the role.

It was also fun to watch and listen to what particularly tickled the audience. Two of the biggest hits were the Pleasant Peasants and the now infamous Dorothy Grey “Hey, let’s throw radioactive dirt on your face!” cold cream commercial, which now gets the full musical treatment.

Stray Observations:

• The promotional material and videos show most of the action taking place in a set replicating 4A. Somewhere along the line things have changed and the action in the Toronto production now takes place in 3D
  • The role of the optometrist in "Lucy Has Her Eyes Examined" is now portrayed by an actor portraying Frank Nelson, rather than the original Shep Menkin
  • Many great details have been put in here, particularly "Desi" explaining the action as they "film" an insert shot for The Benefit (Lucy scratching out "Mrs" from Ethel's poster)
  • Louis Nicoletti's original role in "Eyes" has been transformed into a harried Tropicana secretary who has a new bit part.

Overall, I was very impressed by the creativity on stage.

Stray Observations:

• The promotional material and videos show most of the action taking place in a set replicating 4A. Somewhere along the line things have changed and the action in the Toronto production now takes place in 3D
  • The role of the optometrist in "Lucy Has Her Eyes Examined" is now portrayed by an actor portraying Frank Nelson, rather than the original Shep Menkin
  • Many great details have been put in here, particularly "Desi" explaining the action as they "film" an insert shot for The Benefit (Lucy scratching out "Mrs" from Ethel's poster)
  • Louis Nicoletti's original role in "Eyes" has been transformed into a harried Tropicana secretary who has a new bit part.

Overall, I was very impressed by the creativity on stage.

While I am truly glad you enjoyed your 'sperience, I feel after reading all your comments we saw two entirely different shows! Lucky you!  :peachonthebeach:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I Love Lucy Live on Stage is embarking on a national tour.

I LOVE LUCY LIVE ON STAGE 2014 - 2015 NATIONAL TOUR DATES

Miami, FL 9/30 - 10/5 Arsht Center

Louisville, KY 10/7 - 10/12 The Kentucky Center

Baltimore, MD 10/14 - 10/26 Hippodrome Theatre

San Francisco, CA 11/11 - 11/23 Curran Theatre

Cerritos, CA 11/28 - 11/29 Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts

Colorado Springs, CO 12/2 - 12/3 Pikes Peak Center

Fort Collins, CO 12/4 - 12/6 Lincoln Center

Madison, WI 1/6 - 1/11 Overture Center

Green Bay, WI 1/15 Weidner Center

Clinton Township, MI 1/17 - 1/18 Macomb Center for the Performing Arts

Minneapolis, MN 1/20 - 1/25 State Theatre

Grand Rapids, MI 2/10 - 2/12 DeVos Performance Hall

East Lansing, MI 2/13 - 2/15 Wharton Center

Hershey, PA 2/17 - 2/18 Hershey Theatre

Bowling Green, KY 2/20 SKyPAC

Danville, KY 2/21 Norton Center for the Arts

Providence, RI 2/24 - 3/1 Providence Performing Arts Center

New London, CT 3/5 Garde Arts Center

Worcester, MA 3/6 - 3/8 Hanover Theatre

Macon, GA 3/11 - 3/12 The Grand Opera House

Jacksonville, FL 3/17 - 3/22 Times Union Center

Clearwater, FL 3/24 - 3/25 Ruth Eckerd Hall

Huntsville, FL 3/27 - 3/29 Von Braun Center

Portland, OR 4/7 - 4/12 Keller Auditorium

Billings, MT 4/14 Alberta Bair Theater

St. Louis, MO 4/17 - 4/19 Peabody Opera House

Schenectady, NY 5/9 - 5/10 Proctors Theatre

Cleveland, OH 5/15 - 5/17 Palace Theatre

Waterbury, CT 5/30 - 5/31 Palace Theater

Cincinnati, OH 6/2 - 6/14 Aronoff Center for the Arts

Orlando, FL 6/23 - 6/28 Phillips Center for the Performing Arts

(Additional dates are to be announced.)

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Thea-Brooks-Euriamis-Losada-to-Lead-I-LOVE-LUCY-LIVE-ON-STAGE-2014-15-National-Tour-20140819#.U_OJUtm9LCQ

Archived