Lucy Lane to host special BBQ during Lucy Fest

Thanks for posting, Brock; saves me much typing....

We've had MUCH property improvement here in Lakewood, at the beach house, where I've lived since June 2010; [my Celoron Park (oops, Lucille Ball Memorial Park) - the site of the old ball field, my 'other' beach house, Ellicott Shores, where I lived from December 1989 until May 2010, when the building, due to lack of adequate and proper roofing, caved in; and we ALL had to move out (5 families in 72 hours!!!; I had moved out by 4 days, after my 20.5-year stint there)];

I had a lilac bush from Lucy Lane since 2010; it had become potbound; but, still growing since I went down there and picked it up, at Mary Rapaport's invitation (see article submitted by Brock above - Mary has been busy trying to improve the lot with the outer yard lined with 'new' [taken off the 'old' lilac bushes] Lucille loved so much growing up).

We have a new blacktop driveway and parking lot here; and the old bushes have been taken up; landscapers in here couple weeks ago; so, I went down and asked if they would plant the lilac bush. It now sits in a position of importance in the corner spot, front of the building, where we can all watch it grow.

The man who lives in our cottage on property, former City Planner, City of Buffalo, a transplant to Lakewood, also, since about 2008, is our new Village of Lakewood Trustee (also a Lucy-fan); wants to honor the bush with a 'Lucy plaque', and the landlady concurs (just found out she is a huge Lucy Fan, as well); so, we'll see I shall be taking photos of its progress, and keep this Lounge posted.

Hurricane Lucy and Hurricane Ethel have struck Lucy Lane:

http://post-journal....-.html?nav=5192

What a great -- and hilarious -- idea! I can't wait to see this baby in action this August. :D

(That is, if some crazed fan doesn't attempt to dismantle it before hand!)

Jason could build me a barbeque anytime! :lucyhaha: Thanks for finding and sharing this fantastic article! :lucyshy:

Love it! So funny & clever :marionstrong: . When I visit Jamestown this fall I will definitely stop by Lucy Lane. I hear it is a gift shop? I'd like to have my picture taken next to this :) . Thanks for sharing, Brock!

The home has been restored BACK to the way it was in the 1920's, cleverly masked by up-to-date facilities; but, the original bath tub remains. The 'gift shop' is in the garage beside the house. There also is a 'doll house' on the property. The yard sale spoken of in the article isn't Lucy-related. The garage sale, in the garage, IS Lucy-related. Prices are reasonable, and collectibles.

Thanks for this info, Joyce :) . Is Lucy Lane within walking distance of the Lucy-Desi Museum or would I need to drive there?

Lucy Lane is in Celoron; about 3 miles from downtown Jamestown; you may meet folks there who will give you a ride; I could arrange that myself; there are, of course, taxis; not sure about the city bus line anymore; shall check for you.

The bus pick-up point in J-town is at the Railway Station; and the let off point is at the Post Office, Celoron; not sure if they still stop at every street, in which case, you could get off at Lucy Lane (will check).

The walk from the Post Office, right across from LB Memorial Park, to Lucy Lane would be about a mile. Better to reserve the walking tour to Jamestown I would advise; cab ride probably would not be more than $5; don't know about that, either. Will check and have the figures for your perusal.

Thanks, Luvsbway & Joyce :) . We'll either be in a rental car (if we fly in) or our own car if we drive cross country. There are some touristy things in other states I'm looking into before we make the final fly-or-drive decision. Joyce, please don't go out of your way to find out about the bus & cab (though you are so sweet to offer!). I'm printing out your post to add to my Jamestown travel file :lucy1: .

Lucy Lane is in Celoron; about 3 miles from downtown Jamestown; you may meet folks there who will give you a ride; I could arrange that myself; there are, of course, taxis; not sure about the city bus line anymore; shall check for you.

The bus pick-up point in J-town is at the Railway Station; and the let off point is at the Post Office, Celoron; not sure if they still stop at every street, in which case, you could get off at Lucy Lane (will check).

The walk from the Post Office, right across from LB Memorial Park, to Lucy Lane would be about a mile. Better to reserve the walking tour to Jamestown I would advise; cab ride probably would not be more than $5; don't know about that, either. Will check and have the figures for your perusal.

My friend's sister suggested we rent a car for our stay, but I'm thinking it will be cheaper in the long run to just take a cab or bus around town. The cheapest rental is 25 bucks a day plus gas. And I'd probably wreck it or I'd get lost. Hehehe.

My friend's sister suggested we rent a car for our stay, but I'm thinking it will be cheaper in the long run to just take a cab or bus around town. The cheapest rental is 25 bucks a day plus gas. And I'd probably wreck it or I'd get lost. Hehehe.

In the nearly 13 years I have been travelling back and forth to Jamestown I have never seen ANY evidence of a transit system. The only bus I have ever seen in the city is the coach tour bus hired by the museum for LucyTown tours.

Thanks, Luvsbway & Joyce :) . We'll either be in a rental car (if we fly in) or our own car if we drive cross country. There are some touristy things in other states I'm looking into before we make the final fly-or-drive decision. Joyce, please don't go out of your way to find out about the bus & cab (though you are so sweet to offer!). I'm printing out your post to add to my Jamestown travel file :lucy1: .

MY PLEASURE! I've been watching the buses that run between Lakewood and Jamestown; they DO!!! Now, I have to get a schedule; might want to avail myself of the service sometime. When I was a child, my mother did not drive; but, every Friday, we went downtown, via the bus! At least I have SOME good memories of childhood....tee hee!

MY PLEASURE! I've been watching the buses that run between Lakewood and Jamestown; they DO!!! Now, I have to get a schedule; might want to avail myself of the service sometime. When I was a child, my mother did not drive; but, every Friday, we went downtown, via the bus! At least I have SOME good memories of childhood....tee hee!

Where? LOL Do they go into hiding for LucyFest?

In the nearly 13 years I have been travelling back and forth to Jamestown I have never seen ANY evidence of a transit system. The only bus I have ever seen in the city is the coach tour bus hired by the museum for LucyTown tours.

Then I guess we'll be cabbing it. Or walking. Or hitching a ride. Hehehe.

Brock - sorry that the Center has not made attendees aware of this wonderful facility; probably wants them downtown spending their life savings, rather than seeing more of this interesting area when there is time between events; but, it is, in fact, still operating::

Name: Jamestown Area Regional Transit System (JARTS); may have been changed to CARTS (Chautauqua Area Transit System) - runs on about a 45 minute round-trip

from Jamestown to Lakewood, and through Celoron on return trip; I've just learned in a telephone conversation, coincidentally with a woman I've known since she was a pre-teen; good friends with her deceased Mom and Dad; and discovered during our 'talk', mostly personal, that INDEED, we have a transit system, smaller buses; probably hold 20 or so; that runs a regular daily schedule (that schedule will be mailed to me in plenty of time for me to post times); and anyone who is coming in from afar, can plan their own itinerary between sites, either around the County, if time permits; or to Celoron and back to Town within an hours time.

When that arrives, I shall post:

In the meantime, if I might make a suggestion: everyone who is coming to Jamestown, this year or any year in the future, contact the Center; suggest they contact the CARTS, 716-665-6466; try to get discounted rates for LucyFest (already quite low, I believe; less than $2.00, I'm sure); but, I'm sure a full bus is better than a two, or so-person fare; and inform the Center to put out some p.r. on their Website, as well as via e-mail alerts to members or attendees regarding the schedules/fares for Lucy-attendees.

My friend said something interesting, also; they had tried to have specials, but, no riders; and, apparently, the Center also did NOT put out anything to encourage the use of the system. I find that tragic.

Thanks for the info, you guys! Lucy fans are the best :) . Joyce, it would only be in the Centers favor to advertise local transportation for LucyFest attendees. Like you, I can't understand why they didn't?? The Center wants everyone to support them so they can stay in business; it would be nice if they extended the same courtesy to local businesses.

Firing up my printer again ... :lucythrill:

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to the bar-b-que (8/4) $5 - dog/beans/cold soda; donation to "For the Love of Dogs", [a Hospice program, taking care of patients pets] fundraising campaign set for Lucy and Ethel's crazy pit at 59 Lucy Lane, during Lucille-Desi Days this August, I have, today, added the following to the chronology:

Jamestown Gazette - The People's Paper - Volume 3, #21 - Lucy's Childhood Home Teams with Local Businesses, Charities, by Editor, Walter Pickut - “This house will give back to the community as long as we own it”, says Mary Rapaport, co-owner. “A replica of Lucy and Ethel's famously-disastrous barbeque ('I Love Lucy'), Season 6, Episode #23, now stands in the backyard of Lucille Ball's childhood home, Celoron, to raise money, from the home tours for Chautauqua Hospice, and St. Susan's Center, from the 'Fritzy Boy's Garden', which Fred Ball, Lucille's brother, told them about, in childhood, growing their own fruits and vegetables in the backyard plot. Last year, St. Susan Center created their Giving Gardens initiative (first year receipts was 7500 pounds of fresh garden groceries donated); and which now receives a huge basket full of fresh vegetables at least every other day in growing season, personally delivered, from 59 Lucy Lane,” published for this date in 2013.

Archived