Zo Ball 1919 - 2013

Brock

Zo definitely deserves her own thread, rather than tributes being lost in the middle of the webmaster thread.

Anyway, her death is such a shame. By all accounts she seemed to be active and vital right up until the end enjoying everything life had to offer. I think I met her three times in Jamestown -- first during Lucy-Desi Days 2005, the greatest Lucy-related event to happen in Jamestown since the Forever Darling premiere, a few years later when she and Cleo came together for one last visit, and her final unnanounced visit to Jamestown when, much to the delight of everyone, she unexpectedly boarded the Summer Wind Boat Cruise. All three times she couldn't have been kinder and more patient with all the people who were so anxious to meet her, and one of my personal favourite memories is when the two of us got to talking about her previous visit with Fred and how genuinely moved she was that people remembered him and were appreciative of his efforts to make it there. That particular time she and Cleo were accompanied by Cleo's son Marcus (Cecil was recovering from hip surgery at the time) and a group of us from the Lounge were sitting outside chatting with Marcus on the patio of the College building where they used to host after parties. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched Zo gingerly step out onto the crowded and noisy patio and render the whole place silent with her very distinctive, inimitable and hilarious way she called out to grab her nephew's attention.

R.I.P. Zo!

Zo was such a wonderful lady. I met her three times: in Jamestown in 2005 and 2007 and at Lucie and Desi Jr.'s Babalu show at the 92Y in 2010. The most recent time I was absolutely amazed by her energy at the age of 90! She was unbelievable. Even though she was 93 I was shocked to hear the news today.

I wish I had more details about Zo to include in the chronology; all I have is that she met Fred while working in the accounting department at Desilu when he was also employed there. Children by a prior marriage? Children with Fred? How long employed at Desilu? ANYONE? HARRY?

Zo definitely deserves her own thread, rather than tributes being lost in the middle of the webmaster thread.

Anyway, her death is such a shame. By all accounts she seemed to be active and vital right up until the end enjoying everything life had to offer. I think I met her three times in Jamestown -- first during Lucy-Desi Days 2005, the greatest Lucy-related event to happen in Jamestown since the Forever Darling premiere, a few years later when she and Cleo came together for one last visit, and her final unnanounced visit to Jamestown when, much to the delight of everyone, she unexpectedly boarded the Summer Wind Boat Cruise. All three times she couldn't have been kinder and more patient with all the people who were so anxious to meet her, and one of my personal favourite memories is when the two of us got to talking about her previous visit with Fred and how genuinely moved she was that people remembered him and were appreciative of his efforts to make it there. That particular time she and Cleo were accompanied by Cleo's son Marcus (Cecil was recovering from hip surgery at the time) and a group of us from the Lounge were sitting outside chatting with Marcus on the patio of the College building where they used to host after parties. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched Zo gingerly step out onto the crowded and noisy patio and render the whole place silent with her very distinctive, inimitable and hilarious way she called out to grab her nephew's attention.

R.I.P. Zo!

So...what did she do exactly and I'm betting it was..."colorful"?? :lucycoy:

Don't know that it was their original PS home -- I believe they had more than one, depending upon when it was -- but she did buy it from Desi, so... anyone?

Lovely pic of Lucie, Frank and Zo.... and was anyone else reminded of the the Desilu Chatworth property looking at that beautiful pic of Lucie & Larry's "back yard"?? The saying "what goes around comes around" keeps going through my head! ;)

Archived