Lover Come Back (FULL!)

It is indeed Ellen Corby. She was rarely credited in movies even after she was nominated for an Oscar for I Remember Mama.

Thought so, nice to see her MADE UP for a change. Haven`t got time to watch the movie tonight, but will catch it complete tomorrow, thanks for posting it, haven`t seen it in decades.

I watched this movie last night. I think I have seen this before because some parts seemed familiar while others I totally don’t recall. Interesting observations in this film. Looked up where this fell in Lucy’s movie run in the 40’s. It was done just after her release from MGM and after Dark Corner which was the spring of 46’.

The plot of this I wonder if it hit a little to close to home for Lucy. Husband away during war years, not knowing who or what he’s doing. According to the Lucy movie book this was the time where their schedules were conflicting, early studio calls, late nights at Ciro’s. It does say that after this film wrapped and Lucy didn’t have studio commitments (being a freelancer) she followed Desi to NYC while he was on the road.

There are a lot of times in this film where you start to see shades of the “Lucy” character. It’s not full out, but certain facial expressions, hand gestures remind me of it. Also this leaving the hat and cigar laying around thing was done on My Favorite Husband and then recycled for ILL, so she’s done it 3 times.

Lucy still retains her MGM glam in this movie, which for some reason they always want to torture her hair so much by piling it on top of her head. She does get 2 times where she has it down and I’m convinced she has a fall in it. Her hair was never that long.

So am I wrong that the woman playing the secretary in the beginning of the film, is not the same person who played Ado Annie in Oklahoma? If not she reminds me of her.

I watched this movie last night. I think I have seen this before because some parts seemed familiar while others I totally don’t recall. Interesting observations in this film. Looked up where this fell in Lucy’s movie run in the 40’s. It was done just after her release from MGM and after Dark Corner which was the spring of 46’.

The plot of this I wonder if it hit a little to close to home for Lucy. Husband away during war years, not knowing who or what he’s doing. According to the Lucy movie book this was the time where their schedules were conflicting, early studio calls, late nights at Ciro’s. It does say that after this film wrapped and Lucy didn’t have studio commitments (being a freelancer) she followed Desi to NYC while he was on the road.

There are a lot of times in this film where you start to see shades of the “Lucy” character. It’s not full out, but certain facial expressions, hand gestures remind me of it. Also this leaving the hat and cigar laying around thing was done on My Favorite Husband and then recycled for ILL, so she’s done it 3 times.

Lucy still retains her MGM glam in this movie, which for some reason they always want to torture her hair so much by piling it on top of her head. She does get 2 times where she has it down and I’m convinced she has a fall in it. Her hair was never that long.

So am I wrong that the woman playing the secretary in the beginning of the film, is not the same person who played Ado Annie in Oklahoma? If not she reminds me of her.

I'm in the middle of it - it's ok - pretty tacky but yes I agree, I have seen it before somewhere as well. I also see traits of Lucy Ricardo. I actually find the movie quite "risque" for it's time, especially with the underlying storyline and with how "casual" Lucy is in accepting her husband for what he does. It definitely wouldn't have gotten a G rating! LOL!

The whole plot is weird. I would agree with “casual” in her tone, damn get mad, cry, something, don’t just sit there and act all passive. Was it just the time period? I’d be pretty damn pissed off about the whole record thing, especially if that is the only vocal contact I had with some over 2 years and they were saying all those heartfelt things to everyone they met. Look at the office mentality too. There are some blatant sexual harassment lawsuits there. Sometimes in the artsy professions today you can push those boundaries a little more, but if I had someone calling me Peaches at work, I’d have to smack them. I like the little wink and a nod at the end. Oh what they had to do in those days to imply sex and since they couldn’t show it. I will say that Lucy is damn adorable in this movie. Shades of the very glamorous mixed with the funny. Reminds me of her acting in Easy to Wed.

I loved the Lucy hair, she had that Grace Kelly braid on top, looks great. Quite regal and sophisticated.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeeze! Louise Beavers is ALWAYS playing Lucy's maid... The Big Street, DuBarry Was A Lady, The Facts of Life, and now this one! I like when she says "He's got a knife" and makes the guesture with her hands... I like her costumes too.. and back in the day when I saw this for the first time I remember thinking that it was the first George Brendt movie I ever watched... and besides Dark Victory I don't think I have seen him in anything else!

Jeeze! Louise Beavers is ALWAYS playing Lucy's maid... The Big Street, DuBarry Was A Lady, The Facts of Life, and now this one! I like when she says "He's got a knife" and makes the guesture with her hands... I like her costumes too.. and back in the day when I saw this for the first time I remember thinking that it was the first George Brendt movie I ever watched... and besides Dark Victory I don't think I have seen him in anything else!

Who was she gonna play, Moms Mabley? :lucyhaha:

• 3 months later...

Archived