Jean Stapleton dies at 90

Brock

More from CNN. They indicate they will be re-broadcasting (part of?) her last interview on Larry King Live at 7 p.m.

(CNN) -- Actress Jean Stapleton, best known for her role as Archie Bunker's wife in the groundbreaking 1970s sitcom "All in the Family," has died, her son said Saturday.

She was 90 years old.

Her son John Putch told CNN about her passing and, along with his sister Pamela Putch, wrote an obituary saying that she "passed away peacefully of natural causes" on Friday at her New York City home "surrounded by friends and her immediate family."

The daughter of an opera singer and businessman, Stapleton grew up on Long Island and in New York City. It was there during the early 1940s, while working as a typist for the British War Ministry Office, that she began her career in theater.

Stapleton made it to Broadway in the production "In the Summer House" in 1953, the same year of her television debut on the daytime drama "Woman With a Past." Other big stage roles followed, including in "Bells Are Ringing" and "Damn Yankees."

She also did more and more television, including appearances on shows such as "Philco TV Playhouse" and "Dr. Kildare."

Her breakout role was as Edith Bunker, the kindhearted foil to husband Archie, played by the late Carroll O'Connor.

"All in the Family" was one of television's most popular shows as it broke ground while tackling a host of social issues such as racism, sexuality, life and death. Edith Bunker, played by Stapleton, for instance revealed that she had breast cancer on the show, a rare occurrence at the time.

"I just loved doing it from the very beginning," Stapleton told CNN in 2001, shortly after O'Connor's death.

She won three Emmy awards -- in 1971, 1972 and 1978, in addition to five other nominations in which he she fell short -- for her performance in that Norman Lear-helmed show.

Stapleton kept busy after the show went off in the air in 1979 and kept on racking up more accomplishments. Those include Emmy nominations in 1982 for playing Eleanor Roosevelt in the CBS miniseries "Eleanor, First Lady of the World" and in 1995 as Aunt Vivian in a guest spot on the ABC comedy "Grace Under Fire."

"RIP Jean Stapleton," tweeted fellow TV comedy veteran Roseanne Barr, "a great actor whose range was unbelievable, deep and majestic."

In 2002 she was chosen for the Television Academy Hall of Fame, joining the likes of Tim Conway and Bob Mackie in that organization's 15th induction class.

Her most recent on-screen credits, according to the IMDB website, are from 2001 when she appeared in the film "Pursuit of Happiness" and the TV movie "Like Mother Like Son: The Strange Story of Sante and Kenny Klimes" along with Mary Tyler Moore.

And after "All in the Family," she continued working in theater, including a nationwide tour as Roosevelt in her one-woman show "Eleanor: Her Secret Journey," the Broadway revival of "Arsenic and Lace" and Obie Award performances in Harold Pinter's "Mountain Language" and "The Birthday Party." Her final stage appearance was in "The Carpetbagger's Children" a few blocks from her home in New York, to which she returned permanently in 2002.

"In her own words, she was an 'actress,' not a celebrity," her children wrote. "The play always came first."

CNN's KJ Matthews contributed to this report.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/01/showbiz/jean-stapleton-obit/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

"Her sister, Maureen, was a great actress." -- Larry King live on CNN a moment ago. :huh: Don Lemon swiftly corrected him. lol

Leave it to Larry! :D SHe was indeed a great actress, they both were and this saddens me terribly. I know 90 is a nice old age to last to but still....the more this happens -- inevitably -- it reminds me that all the wundaful folks we grew up watching and admiring are not long for this world. Sad.

More from CNN. They indicate they will be re-broadcasting (part of?) her last interview on Larry King Live at 7 p.m.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

Did this air already, 4 PDT? Dang, I missed it! Any indication it may air again later?? All I can find is a repeated airing, something about Anderson Cooper and a murdered beauty queen??!

Did this air already, 4 PDT? Dang, I missed it! Any indication it may air again later?? All I can find is a repeated airing, something about Anderson Cooper and a murdered beauty queen??!

They did air it, but it wasn't much -- just a few clips and then Larry calling in to talk about Jean and Maureen. lol

Funny that we were just talking about her in that norman lear thread, greatest performer of the foursome on All in the Family, I only enjoyed watching her character as she was the only funny one in that group. All the other ones ever did was rant and scream. She did a guest spot on Everybody Loves Raymond too and she was terrific on that.

Funny, you posted a clip last night and I stopped watching the crap that was on tv to view your offering instead, you did the same thing tonight. I could watch that clip all day, so nice to see all those familiar faces, thought we were going to end by seeing them all lined up outside at Television City at the end. Lucy looked gorgeous again.

Funny, you posted a clip last night and I stopped watching the crap that was on tv to view your offering instead, you did the same thing tonight. I could watch that clip all day, so nice to see all those familiar faces, thought we were going to end by seeing them all lined up outside at Television City at the end. Lucy looked gorgeous again.

Everyone looked incredible. Great to see Vivian too in there. Especially Jean, she was glowing. Another amazing star now making others laugh on the other side! :)

Yep, Totem Pole. Still up and running. I found a documentary about it and it's history awhile ago.

Oh, great! Wonder if it stayed in the Putch family?? John was an actor who became a director, not sure what he's done recently. Do you know the name of this doc and whether it's on video?? Thanks! ;)

The doc is on the DVD for the movie Route 30 which is on Netflix. The movie was shot locally and has Totem Pole ties. I know John is on the doc. I don't know a ton about Totem Pole but worked at the other summer stock, Allenberry all through my high school years. A lot of people would ask me if that was the theater Jean owned. I always corrected them.

The doc is on the DVD for the movie Route 30 which is on Netflix. The movie was shot locally and has Totem Pole ties. I know John is on the doc. I don't know a ton about Totem Pole but worked at the other summer stock, Allenberry all through my high school years. A lot of people would ask me if that was the theater Jean owned. I always corrected them.

Thanks for the info!! I'm going to look for the doc, it sounds very interesting!! :lucyhaha:

Speaking of John, I had the opportunity once several years ago to stop and tell him how much I admired his mom and her work but I chickened out and didn't do it and have kicked myself ever since. I hope he knows how much his mom was loved and adored for her talent, etc. especially at this difficult time. :lucyblah:

Archived