BEST WRITTEN TV SHOWS OF ALL TIME

C L A U D E

As chosen by the idiots at TV Guide and the Writers Guild of America, Lucy's ILL came in at number twelve. Believe it or not, Sopranos was number one and Seinfeld was number two. Mary Tyler Moore and All in the family made the top ten. These are supposed to be the best written television shows of all time. Maybe what screwed Lucy is that they submitted The Pilot which was not that great. Whereas the undeserving Seinfeld people submitted the masturbation episode.

Sesame Street, Columbo and gary's favorite show Fawlty Towers were next at 56 57 and 58. Roots and Everybody Loves Raymond were next. at 62 and 63. Dexter was at 66. Inexplicably tied with The Office. Golden Girls were at 69, Andy Griffith at 70. Roseanne, 24 and The Shield all tied at 71.

Boardwalk Empire and Will and Grace at 93 and 94. Family Ties at 95 and SOAP at 96. Late Night with David Letterman, but no leno in sight, The Fugitive, LOUIE and OZ finished up the top 100 best written shows of all time. I omitted a few that are very new and I have never seen like Justified. Some miniseries made it like Lonesome Dove. Some that left us recently like HOUSE.

Of all the stupid tv lists this has to be the stupidest. Seriously 12th place??

And how can you possibly determine the best written television series on the basis of a single episode????

I'm not sure the criteria was for the one single episode, however, there was a notation next to I Love Lucy that said PILOT.

I don't care for this list one bit. As far as I am concerned any list consisting of the best shows of all-times that excludes I Love Lucy in the top ten is a phony and not worth the time to even glance at. STUPID. And OMG Seinfeld is so dang OVERRATED. WHAT makes that program so great? What is so unique and ground-breaking about it? What's the appeal? I will never understand.

These lists always have amnesia when it comes to shows of the distant past. I count only 4 shows from the 50s and Twilight Zone debuting in 1959 barely qualifies. What about Burns and Allen, Jack Benny Playhouse 90, Omnibus and the sitcom that one the most Emmys as a percentage of the years it was on "The Phil Silvers Show"? ("Taxi" may have tied that record....not sure).

I don't care for this list one bit. As far as I am concerned any list consisting of the best shows of all-times that excludes I Love Lucy in the top ten is a phony and not worth the time to even glance at. STUPID. And OMG Seinfeld is so dang OVERRATED. WHAT makes that program so great? What is so unique and ground-breaking about it? What's the appeal? I will never understand.

Notice that they picked the ones that ALWAYS make the top lists, I agree, enjoyed some Seinfeld eps but you couldn't pay me to watch it now. Usually Honeymooners is near Lucy, this time they're way down the list. And all these Newer shows that made the list that almost nobody ever heard of like Justified, also Breaking Bad, Homeland, Dexter whereas few of the OLD shows made it. The Defenders was a surprise, although I was pleased to see Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock presents on the list.

These lists always have amnesia when it comes to shows of the distant past. I count only 4 shows from the 50s and Twilight Zone debuting in 1959 barely qualifies. What about Burns and Allen, Jack Benny Playhouse 90, Omnibus and the sitcom that one the most Emmys as a percentage of the years it was on "The Phil Silvers Show"? ("Taxi" may have tied that record....not sure).

That's MY fault, I didn't list every one of the 100 shows, Taxi was on it as was Playhouse 90 and Phil Silvers too. I was hoping someone capable would list the whole thing, I had to keep going back to it to find more names.

Of all the stupid tv lists this has to be the stupidest. Seriously 12th place??

And how can you possibly determine the best written television series on the basis of a single episode????

12th place out of every show ever seen on tv, not just comedy shows where it would have placed higher.

This is ridiculous and one of the few times TV Guide's list is not based on reality. What were they thinking?

It wasn't just TV Guide, it was also the expert writers from the Guild. And yes, it WAS based on just the one ep as Masturbating on Seinfeld beat out I Love Lucy's PILOT which wasn't that great.

The idea of the Simpsons coming ahead of I Love Lucy on ANY list is a travesty. Oh and I will never understand the appeal of Seinfeld. I like my shows to be about something thank you very much. It adds emotional depth and better reason to invest in the characters. I didn't care what happened to those people damn it!

It wasn't just TV Guide, it was also the expert writers from the Guild. And yes, it WAS based on just the one ep as Masturbating on Seinfeld beat out I Love Lucy's PILOT which wasn't that great.

Think about it though -- if this was solely based on the pilot, placing 12th is a STAGGERING ACHIEVEMENT!

What IDIOT submitted the pilot??

It certainly enjoyable, but better viewed as the genesis of what it was to become.

There are so many many episodes where the writing was as sharp (or sharper) than anything TV has done.

Archived