HE & SHE: "Deep In The Heart Of Taxes"

I recently purchased a set that included syndicated prints of 25 of the 26 produced episodes. I uploaded one of my favorite episodes for a recent post on my brand new blog!

You can read a bit about this on my blog: http://jacksonupperc...winning-sitcom/

Oh wow, nice blog, and I haven't seen the show He and She in decades.

Yup, was even nominated for best comedy series in it's very short run.

He and She was NOT nominated for Best Comedy Series in its one season 67-68. Surprising because it seemed to be the darling of the critics, both leads got nominations as well as Jack Cassidy in supporting. It won Best comedy writing and got a Comedy direction nomination. Going into the Emmys, Paula Prentiss was the favorite but our lady copped her 2nd Lucy Show Emmy instead. The Best Comedy was the first of two wins for Get Smart, Bewitched in a year when it had started to falter, the third season of Hogan's Heroes (never saw one), Family Affair (oh you mean THAT laughfest??) and the last season of The Lucy Show, the only non-ILL nomination of any Lucy series. I'm glad TLS got one Emmy nod, however this is the least deserving season, IMO.

Don't know how bad H&S ratings could have been to get canceled after all the hoopla, but I would guess it started out strong and went steadily downhill so the CBS powers that be saw a trend and opted out. It followed BevHillbillies and Green Acres which were #12 and #14 for the season. Different audience of course, but still.....the competition was the 2nd half-hour of two shows that started at 9.

He and She was NOT nominated for Best Comedy Series in its one season 67-68. Surprising because it seemed to be the darling of the critics, both leads got nominations as well as Jack Cassidy in supporting. It won Best comedy writing and got a Comedy direction nomination. Going into the Emmys, Paula Prentiss was the favorite but our lady copped her 2nd Lucy Show Emmy instead. The Best Comedy was the first of two wins for Get Smart, Bewitched in a year when it had started to falter, the third season of Hogan's Heroes (never saw one), Family Affair (oh you mean THAT laughfest??) and the last season of The Lucy Show, the only non-ILL nomination of any Lucy series. I'm glad TLS got one Emmy nod, however this is the least deserving season, IMO.

Don't know how bad H&S ratings could have been to get canceled after all the hoopla, but I would guess it started out strong and went steadily downhill so the CBS powers that be saw a trend and opted out. It followed BevHillbillies and Green Acres which were #12 and #14 for the season. Different audience of course, but still.....the competition was the 2nd half-hour of two shows that started at 9.

I STAND corrected, well, actually i'm sitting at the computer so I SIT corrected. I remembered it got nominations at the Emmys that year but obviously the show that was perfect in writing and directing as well as it's great stars nominated did not deserve one for best series, that's the wisdom of these award shows. You are correct about Family Affair though, how could that saccharine crap ever score a nomination is just amazing.

• 8 months later...

My family watched every episode of He and She, but it was one of the first shows that got us thinking, don't get too much INTO any series as the idiots at the networks might cancel it any time now.  After He and She, we'd be very careful not to get to liking a show too much and then suddenly lose it because it didn't grab viewers right away.  Lest we forget that lots of shows like Dick Van Dyke or Cheers and many others started off with very bad ratings but were given a chance to grow and improve.

He & She is a brilliant show!

It was nominated for something like 5 Emmys:

2 for writing, 3 for acting.

It won one of the writing nominations.

PLUS:

It's said that the character Oscar was the direct inspiration for Ted Baxter, Minneapolis's favorite newscaster.

Archived