Barnsdahl and the Countess Learn Judo

I have always wanted to see the film "Little Dragons" starring Charles Lane and Ann Sothern and now I can say I have. Charlie, in the only top billed role of his career, plays an old, but spry, grandfather, while Ann plays a Wayne Newton-loving kidnapper. I was not prepared for how absolutely awful this film was. Not a single person in the film came close to touching the hem of either Lane or Sothern's burnooses. I really have no idea what the target audience for this film was. It doesn't really seem like a kid's film. I thought it was trying to cash in on the success of The Karate Kid, but it actually preceded it by five years,. It looks like it was later re-titled "Karate Kids USA," presumably to make it seem like it had a tie-in to the more successful film. Thank God Ann Sothern did The Whales of August! It would have been a tragedy if she ended her motion picture career with any of the four films she made before it: this one, The Manitou ( :obrien:!!!), Crazy Mama (which does have a good cast), or Golden Needles (which I've never seen, but its total box office returns of 18 Hong Kong dollars isn't a good sign).

I don't recommend watching this film, but I just had to talk about what I just saw,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZrCTAToo9Y

. Thank God Ann Sothern did The Whales of August! It would have been a tragedy if she ended her motion picture career with any of the four films she made before it: this one, The Manitou ( :obrien:!!!), Crazy Mama (which does have a good cast),

I don't recommend watching this film, but I just had to talk about what I just saw,

I went to see THE MANITOU in a theater JUST because Ann Sothern was in it. Dreadful. Ann's stunt double gets knocked over in a chair during a seance. When it ran on TV, Ann's scene was CUT. It was one of those movie ads like Posieden Adventure where they had a row of 'star' pictures with their names under them: first name in small print; last name under first in all caps.

I'm probably one of the few people anywhere that has met and talked to ALL THREE generations of women depicted in Crazy Mama: Ann, Cloris AND Merie Earle.

I went to see THE MANITOU in a theater JUST because Ann Sothern was in it. Dreadful. Ann's stunt double gets knocked over in a chair during a seance. When it ran on TV, Ann's scene was CUT. It was one of those movie ads like Posieden Adventure where they had a row of 'star' pictures with their names under them: first name in small print; last name under first in all caps.

I'm probably one of the few people anywhere that has met and talked to ALL THREE generations of women depicted in Crazy Mama: Ann, Cloris AND Merie Earle.

O M G , did you TOUCH them too.

Wow, you got to meet MERIE EARLE?????

Seriously, I adored her and loved her guest appearances on The Tonight Show. Can't recall ever seeing her act though other than The Waltons and her appearance on The Beverly Hillbillies (in one of my alltime favorite episodes, The Boston Strong Girl vs Rebeccca of Donnybrook Farm or whatever the real title was) although I don't think she said a word in the latter.

Archived