Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Claude & UKLucyFan:

Did you get the Private Messages I sent?

Yes, but no time to reply tonight. Dun't forget that Joey is one of my closest friends here at The Lounge so although I agree with you and disagree with him about colorization, I don't want to participate in any major troublesome discussion here that would upset him in any way.

Aw, come on guys! Color episodes are an addition, not a subtraction.

That initial, scary color job done on the christmas episode has existed for nearly 25 years and it hasn't wiped out the memory of the black and white master. Plus, we're getting the blurays very soon for the entire original run AND this color edition is going to get Lucy back on CBS 60 years from its original airdate. That is incredible and something to be celebrated!

Aw, come on guys! Color episodes are an addition, not a subtraction.

That initial, scary color job done on the christmas episode has existed for nearly 25 years and it hasn't wiped out the memory of the black and white master. Plus, we're getting the blurays very soon for the entire original run AND this color edition is going to get Lucy back on CBS 60 years from its original airdate. That is incredible and something to be celebrated!

'WELL!" said... ;)

From a technical point of view whenever you do flashbacks regardless whether it's an old show or new the color on the flashback sequences are usually altered in some way or form or maybe even black and white to distinguish the difference from the past and present. (Sorry not sure if that came out right). So to a certain point I can understand why the flashback sequences were not colorized. Take for example Dancing With The Stars. Whenever they repeat a portion of "last nights" show the colors are altered to give it that "flashbacky" look. Hope my explanation came out ok. I discovered a new word "FLASHBACKY"!

From a technical point of view whenever you do flashbacks regardless whether it's an old show or new the color on the flashback sequences are usually altered in some way or form or maybe even black and white to distinguish the difference from the past and present. (Sorry not sure if that came out right). So to a certain point I can understand why the flashback sequences were not colorized. Take for example Dancing With The Stars. Whenever they repeat a portion of "last nights" show the colors are altered to give it that "flashbacky" look. Hope my explanation came out ok. I discovered a new word "FLASHBACKY"!

We're more concerned that in one instance, the show was shown WITHOUT THE FLASBACKS they were referring to, so it was, talk about flashbacks to introduce them, then come right back talking about them again but DON'T SHOW THEM, makes a lot of sense.

And by mentioning the.fact of no flashbacks even in BW on the Lucy in Color special feature on season 6 dvd in no way am i intending to sound ungrateful or unappreciative for all efforts made to bring these shows to us, I am just disappointed the WHOLE episode is not intact when viewed in COLOR.

Which begs the question W H Y ? Why would they do that A G A I N ?

You are right. Life With Lucy will be on DVD at some point. Now I will just have to wait for it to be released. Glad you like the avatar. :D

That 8 by 10 glossy I have of her, given to me by Laura is with this dress and hairdo, closer up though and you can tell every detail of one of her rings which would send Annaleigh and Shelley in convulsions.

• 4 weeks later...

Bugs me how some kids of today won't accept anything in B&W. When I was 3, 4 and 5 back in 1992-1994, my grandpa always had those old b&w movies on and I never complained! I sometimes watched them with him

I agree, but I dont think kids wont watch something in BW, its not that they wont laugh at it because its in BW, I think they just will think its a very funny, lack luster show, VISUALLY. The writing is good, the show is overall excellent, but it would be an adjustment to see EVERYTHING on TV in HD and vibrant color, and then watch ILL. But I think, once that intro is finished, the show pulls you in so quick, your interested and entertained and then left wanting more lol 

• 2 weeks later...

More info on the December special:

THE "I LOVE LUCY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL," A ONE-HOUR SPECIAL FEATURING TWO NEWLY-COLORIZED CLASSIC EPISODES, TO BE BROADCAST FRIDAY, DEC. 20

The Seldom-Seen "Christmas Episode" and "Lucy's Italian Movie" To be Seamlessly Combined

The I LOVE LUCY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL, a one-hour special featuring two newly colorized back-to-back classic episodes of the 1950s series, will be broadcast Friday, Dec. 20 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

The two episodes - the seldom-seen "Christmas Episode" and "Lucy's Italian Movie" (aka "Grape Stomping") - were colorized with a vintage look, a nod to the 1950s period in which the shows were filmed. The main titles and end credits of the two episodes are seamlessly combined into one set - at the beginning and end of the hour - with no interruption between the episodes.

The programs feature Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz as Lucy and Ricky Ricardo, and Vivian Vance and William Frawley as the Ricardos' friends and landlords, Fred and Ethel Mertz.

"The Christmas Episode" finds the Ricardos and Mertzes decorating Lucy and Ricky's Christmas tree and reminiscing about how their lives have changed since the arrival of the Ricardo's son, Little Ricky (Keith Thibodeaux). Flashbacks (in black-and-white to emphasize the time lapse) recall the night Lucy tells Ricky she is pregnant, the time Lucy shows up unexpectedly as part of a barbershop quartet, and the day Ricky and the Mertzes rehearse taking Lucy to the maternity ward.

"The Christmas Episode" was first presented as part of the regularly scheduled "I Love Lucy" series on CBS in December 1956. The episode wasn't included in the series' long history of rebroadcasts, first on CBS Daytime and later in syndication. Thought to be "lost," CBS rediscovered the episode in 1989.

"Lucy's Italian Movie" finds the Ricardos and Mertzes visiting Rome, where Lucy is invited by a famous Italian film director to appear in his next picture, "Bitter Grapes." Mistakenly thinking the film concerns the wine industry, Lucy sets out to visit a local vineyard where she soaks up more local color than intended.

"Lucy's Italian Movie" was originally presented on "I Love Lucy" in March 1956 and became an instant classic. It was included in CBS's 1958 summer series, "The Top 10 Lucy Shows," as chosen by television critics.

"I Love Lucy" aired on CBS from Oct. 15, 1951 until May 6, 1957. It was voted "the best TV show of all time" in a 2012 viewer poll conducted by People Magazine and ABC News.

Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2013/10/22/the-i-love-lucy-christmas-special-a-one-hour-special-featuring-two-newly-colorized-classic-episodes-to-be-broadcast-friday-dec-20-401114/20131022cbs03/#25K0r4vQt1ixtCIh.99

Thanks for the update. I wonder how they will change the intro this time around. The last intro was beautiful. (In My Lucy voice from the 80 MervGriffin show)  I dunno about that  "were colorized with a vintage look, a nod to the 1950s period in which the shows were filmed" line, but I look forward to enjoying the show. It'll be fun to have Lucy on prime time again, and if it does good, who knows, it may happen again. 

I'd like to know if the DVD is going to be the same, with the main titles and end credits of the two episodes are seamlessly combined into one set - at the beginning and end of the hour - with no interruption between the episodes.

I'd highly doubt it.

Archived