Happy 102nd, Lucy!

Brock

In my family, if someone does something great for us, we end up thanking them till the day we die. That`s how I feel about Lucy`s contribution to my own life, keeping me entertained and laughing all these many decades. Giving me a reason to live by collecting the priceless work she left behind for us to enjoy for generation after generation. As I look at her beautiful pictures hanging in the apartment, a mere look at any of them makes me smile and forget my troubles, same as when I watch any of her shows or read books about her or magazines or anything connected to her. Today, my parents` anniversary as well as her birthday, I will be saying a prayer for all three, in thanks for a life made worthwhile by their being such a great part of it. Hope they all meet UP THERE, and that my parents have conveyed my thanks for a life made bearable by her shining presence.

I had Lucy Birthday Fest last evening. Here’s what I watched in order. I picked out my favorite parts as I did want to get some sleep.

Dance Girl Dance

Lured

ILL-Dancing Star- from rehearsal on.

1954 Ed Sullivan Show- the speeches at the end

Long Long Trailer

LS- Lucy Dates Dean Martin- apartment scene till the end

Lucy in London- Lucy’s musical moments

HL-Lucy’s Birthday, cus well it was

Carol Plus 2- Hutzpaugh number

Ann Margret Show- Autograph Ann and Celebrity Lu number

Mame- title song and Loving You

1984 Variety Clubs Tribute- Sammy speech, Gary’s medal and the kids singing. I had been seeing a lot of quotes from the Sammy speech on photos all day and wanted to listen to that whole speech in its entirety. It is one of the single best things ever said about her. What makes it even more special is that it came from a good friend and was delivered directly to Lucy. I don’t think I ever cried the whole way through the speech before. It was probably because I was on an emotional high from all my viewing before it.

ILL- Lucy’s Last Birthday-last scene at the club. Nice way to round out the whole night.

I realized once all this was over I had quite a bit of singing and dancing Lucy in my mix.

I had Lucy Birthday Fest last evening. Here’s what I watched in order. I picked out my favorite parts as I did want to get some sleep.

Dance Girl Dance

Lured

ILL-Dancing Star- from rehearsal on.

1954 Ed Sullivan Show- the speeches at the end

Long Long Trailer

LS- Lucy Dates Dean Martin- apartment scene till the end

Lucy in London- Lucy’s musical moments

HL-Lucy’s Birthday, cus well it was

Carol Plus 2- Hutzpaugh number

Ann Margret Show- Autograph Ann and Celebrity Lu number

Mame- title song and Loving You

1984 Variety Clubs Tribute- Sammy speech, Gary’s medal and the kids singing. I had been seeing a lot of quotes from the Sammy speech on photos all day and wanted to listen to that whole speech in its entirety. It is one of the single best things ever said about her. What makes it even more special is that it came from a good friend and was delivered directly to Lucy. I don’t think I ever cried the whole way through the speech before. It was probably because I was on an emotional high from all my viewing before it.

ILL- Lucy’s Last Birthday-last scene at the club. Nice way to round out the whole night.

I realized once all this was over I had quite a bit of singing and dancing Lucy in my mix.

WOW, what terrific choices, what a night for you or anyone able to play that group of offerings. Funny, after I play the Mame main number from Mame, I almost always add the Loving You sequence also.

Archived