'I Love Lucy' is a terrible show

Mot Morenzi

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://forums.nodoub...a-terrible-show.

Hmm, first time I've ever seen somebody with this opinion, to be honest.

Thankfully most of the replies seem to disagree with him.

Actually I have, believe it or not, "actress" Virginia Mayo. She wrote her autobiography and apparently spent the whole book bitching about and knocking other (bigger) celebrities. I've never read the book - it's pretty obscure but someone on a board for another favorite actress posted "highlights" of her bashing in which she nastily complains about nearly everyone in town, several of whom she apparently never met! The book was published a few years before she died. Just some unbelievable, wacko whoppers in it, for instance she "hates" "ugly" Barbara Stanwyck because she starred in an earlier, more successful version of a movie she remade!! I don't think she actually says anything bad about Lucy other than her sitcom was "terrible". I'll have to see it I can find the post about it on a Stanwyck board as it's loaded with outrageous comments from that book.

Actually I have, believe it or not, "actress" Virginia Mayo. She wrote her autobiography and apparently spent the whole book bitching about and knocking other (bigger) celebrities. I've never read the book - it's pretty obscure but someone on a board for another favorite actress posted "highlights" of her bashing in which she nastily complains about nearly everyone in town, several of whom she apparently never met! The book was published a few years before she died. Just some unbelievable, wacko whoppers in it, for instance she "hates" "ugly" Barbara Stanwyck because she starred in an earlier, more successful version of a movie she remade!! I don't think she actually says anything bad about Lucy other than her sitcom was "terrible". I'll have to see it I can find the post about it on a Stanwyck board as it's loaded with outrageous comments from that book.

Virginia was "outraged" Lucy had the gall to change Edie Adams' hairdo in Lucy Meets the Mustache and how terrible Lucy was...presumably because of the hair incident. Meanwhile, a couple of years beforehand, Virginia helped unveil USPS' first Lucy stamp. Go figure!

Oh I heard she said a lot worse about Lucy over the years, but who the hell even knows who the woman is these days? Jealous much?

Oh I heard she said a lot worse about Lucy over the years, but who the hell even knows who the woman is these days? Jealous much?

She appears to have been jealous of everyone! Not a surprise she was hostile toward Lucy since Lucy was ALWAYS a bigger star than her, even in the 1940's, did Mayo ever carry a major picture like BEST FOOT FORWARD, LURED, THE DARK CORNER, MISS GRANT TAKES RICHMOND? No! She made mostly programmer crap like hackneyed adventure pictures, westerns, etc. with cardboard storylines.

She appears to have been jealous of everyone! Not a surprise she was hostile toward Lucy since Lucy was ALWAYS a bigger star than her, even in the 1940's, did Mayo ever carry a major picture like BEST FOOT FORWARD, LURED, THE DARK CORNER, MISS GRANT TAKES RICHMOND? No! She made mostly programmer crap like hackneyed adventure pictures, westerns, etc. with cardboard storylines.

AND, I saw them together in a Hope special about his leading ladies, Lucy made F O U R films with Bob and Virginia whose maiden name was Hellman, later married Ralph Naze before she died making her name Virginia Hellman Mayo Naze, only made ONE.

• 4 weeks later...

LOL, I just wanted to share because I've never encountered anyone voicing that opinion anywhere before..

I've met a few but I think they're in the minority.  I've been watching Lucy all my life, and that's a very long time.  The mere sight of her face brings me instant joy.  So it's very difficult for me to imagine anyone not finding the show funny.  I can never understand them because the idea of her not being funny is too foreign to me.

In one of those comments, someone remarked that humor has changed over the years and I Love Lucy is a kind of humor people used to find funny.  I was reading that thinking, "Wait a minute! I find it funny now."  In fact, I find it funnier than almost anything being produced these days.  It's not just 1950s funny, it's timeless, forever funny.

But nothing, and no one, no matter how popular, are loved by all. The most popular sitcom of the last 20 years is Seinfeld.  Personally, I've never been crazy about that show, and I've known other people to feel the same way, who think Jerry Seinfeld is too stiff and can't act.  But it's obvious the show is super popular and is on television every day in just about every city.  I've known people who hated All in the Family, cringing at it because of the constant yelling.  I've seen someone remark that they hated The Mary Tyler Moore Show because they hated Mary Tyler Moore's voice, or can't stand Sue Ann and Georgette.  I've known people to hate The Honeymooners because they find Ralph Kramden too overbearing and sexist and scary.  But I love all those shows and they're all considered classics.  In music, the Beatles are arguably the greatest band ever, followed by the Rolling Stones.  But you will still find people who don't care for them (like my parents :)).  Mozart was one of the greatest composers ever, but there are those who hate classical music.

My point is, everybody is different.  Our musical tastes are different, our senses of humor are different.  Once someone told me the reason I didn't love Seinfeld is because I didn't understand the humor.  No, that's not it at all.  I understand completely what is intended to be humorous about it, I just don't usually find it funny.  I get it, but it doesn't make me laugh.  It's like someone who hates dirty jokes.  You tell them a dirty joke, they fully understand the punchline, but they don't find it amusing.

I was recently reading a survey from a year ago.  It named Tim Tebow the most popular quarterback in the NFL.  That same poll also named Tim Tebow the least popular quarterback in the NFL.  So yes, it's even possible to be the most popular at something, while at the same time being the least popular at the same thing.  People either love him or hate him.  There's not much in between.  I don't think it's quite as extreme with Lucy:  While there are are going to be people who hate the show, it's never going to top a list of most hated sitcoms.  But it will always make the list of favorite sitcoms.  Yet there will still be those who don't care for it.  So if Lucy is considered the greatest sitcom ever, just as the Beatles may be considered the greatest band ever, there will still be oddballs out there who don't like it.  Avoid them!  :lol:

I've met a few but I think they're in the minority.  I've been watching Lucy all my life, and that's a very long time.  The mere sight of her face brings me instant joy.  So it's very difficult for me to imagine anyone not finding the show funny.  I can never understand them because the idea of her not being funny is too foreign to me.

In one of those comments, someone remarked that humor has changed over the years and I Love Lucy is a kind of humor people used to find funny.  I was reading that thinking, "Wait a minute! I find it funny now."  In fact, I find it funnier than almost anything being produced these days.  It's not just 1950s funny, it's timeless, forever funny.

But nothing, and no one, no matter how popular, are loved by all. The most popular sitcom of the last 20 years is Seinfeld.  Personally, I've never been crazy about that show, and I've known other people to feel the same way, who think Jerry Seinfeld is too stiff and can't act.  But it's obvious the show is super popular and is on television every day in just about every city.  I've known people who hated All in the Family, cringing at it because of the constant yelling.  I've seen someone remark that they hated The Mary Tyler Moore Show because they hated Mary Tyler Moore's voice, or can't stand Sue Ann and Georgette.  I've known people to hate The Honeymooners because they find Ralph Kramden too overbearing and sexist and scary.  But I love all those shows and they're all considered classics.  In music, the Beatles are arguably the greatest band ever, followed by the Rolling Stones.  But you will still find people who don't care for them (like my parents :)).  Mozart was one of the greatest composers ever, but there are those who hate classical music.

My point is, everybody is different.  Our musical tastes are different, our senses of humor are different.  Once someone told me the reason I didn't love Seinfeld is because I didn't understand the humor.  No, that's not it at all.  I understand completely what is intended to be humorous about it, I just don't usually find it funny.  I get it, but it doesn't make me laugh.  It's like someone who hates dirty jokes.  You tell them a dirty joke, they fully understand the punchline, but they don't find it amusing.

I was recently reading a survey from a year ago.  It named Tim Tebow the most popular quarterback in the NFL.  That same poll also named Tim Tebow the least popular quarterback in the NFL.  So yes, it's even possible to be the most popular at something, while at the same time being the least popular at the same thing.  People either love him or hate him.  There's not much in between.  I don't think it's quite as extreme with Lucy:  While there are are going to be people who hate the show, it's never going to top a list of most hated sitcoms.  But it will always make the list of favorite sitcoms.  Yet there will still be those who don't care for it.  So if Lucy is considered the greatest sitcom ever, just as the Beatles may be considered the greatest band ever, there will still be oddballs out there who don't like it.  Avoid them!  :lol:

Love this post, well said.  We get that here all the time where certain politicians make the best and worst list every year and singers too, ask Celine Dion, she always makes BOTH lists. LOL!  The thing about Seinfeld is it's that New York Jewish type paranoid frenetic comedy and i'm not big on that, enjoyed some of Seinfeld but have never bothered with Curb Your Enthusiasm as it's based on George and I hated that character.

Love this post, well said.  We get that here all the time where certain politicians make the best and worst list every year and singers too, ask Celine Dion, she always makes BOTH lists. LOL!  The thing about Seinfeld is it's that New York Jewish type paranoid frenetic comedy and i'm not big on that, enjoyed some of Seinfeld but have never bothered with Curb Your Enthusiasm as it's based on George and I hated that character.

Celine Dion! :HALKING: She's one I hated for a long time because of some song she sang from a Disney movie (a song that made my skin crawl), followed by the theme song from The Titanic that I didn't care much for, but many people loved.  But enough people loved the song that it got played over and over and over, and the more it got played, the more I hated it.  And the more I wanted to run for cover at the mere mention of the name, Celine Dion.  Then one day I "accidentally" heard a song on the radio that was sung by none other than Celine Dion that I actually liked.  Okay, I still don't love her, but I don't totally hate her anymore, either.  But yeah, I can definitely see her being on lists of both most hated and most loved singers.  :)

I've never bothered to watch Curb Your Enthusiasm just because it's Larry David, and I guess I assume it's the same kind of humor as Seinfeld that doesn't do much for me.  I will say I've seen bits here and there of Seinfeld that I do find funny, like the one where Jerry's out on a date and discovers his date has manly looking hands.  But generally I can't sit through a full episode.  HOWEVER, I enjoy do Jerry Seinfeld's standup comedy.

Thanks for your comments, Claude.

Celine Dion! :HALKING: She's one I hated for a long time because of some song she sang from a Disney movie (a song that made my skin crawl), followed by the theme song from The Titanic that I didn't care much for, but many people loved.  But enough people loved the song that it got played over and over and over, and the more it got played, the more I hated it.  And the more I wanted to run for cover at the mere mention of the name, Celine Dion.  Then one day I "accidentally" heard a song on the radio that was sung by none other than Celine Dion that I actually liked.  Okay, I still don't love her, but I don't totally hate her anymore, either.  But yeah, I can definitely see her being on lists of both most hated and most loved singers.  :)

I've never bothered to watch Curb Your Enthusiasm just because it's Larry David, and I guess I assume it's the same kind of humor as Seinfeld that doesn't do much for me.  I will say I've seen bits here and there of Seinfeld that I do find funny, like the one where Jerry's out on a date and discovers his date has manly looking hands.  But generally I can't sit through a full episode.  HOWEVER, I enjoy do Jerry Seinfeld's standup comedy.

Thanks for your comments, Claude.

I find Seinfeld to be a pompous ass world revolves around me type and I just despise those people.  And he was one lousy actor, true, but I liked the masturbation episode and a few others, that's it!  As for Celine, i'm one of those people who adored her Titanic song as well as the one from Disney's Beauty and the Beast, and have played them so much that i'm surprised the dvd collection is still working for me.  What I can't stand is to hear her SPEAKING with those constant grimaces and facial tics of hers.  And you should hear her in French, it's even worse.  She does have a beautiful voice though, similar to Streisand.  Similar, not identical though.  LOL!  Ellen had that girl who does all these female singers one after the other while singing Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler, she had her on yesterday I think, and when the girl does Dion, she makes those faces and exhibits those tics and I had to look away, she's that GREAT at imitating.  LOL! 

As for Celine, i'm one of those people who adored her Titanic song as well as the one from Disney's Beauty and the Beast, and have played them so much that i'm surprised the dvd collection is still working for me.

Oh dear, your favorite songs of hers are the ones I most loathe.  Well, there you go!  But at least you have good taste in sitcom stars.  ;)  As for Streisand, funny you should mention her.  I think of her kind of like I do Celine Dion: I think they have fantastic voices, I just hate the songs they choose to record.

It's funny this came around to Celine Dion. I've never been a huge fan of hers or anything, mostly because of how over-commercialized many of her songs become. My Heart Will Go On has been done to death so many times that I cannot bear to listen to it anymore. But that's not her fault, it's just the product placement machine that sold it into the ground.

My respect for Celine grew after I saw the Canadian TV movie about her life. Although it took dramatic license (it was entirely in English when more than half should've been in French) I thought it was really touching showing how she came from nothing and achieved all that she has. So I have a lot more admiration for her now than I used to. Don't care for a lot of her material, but you cannot deny the woman is talented!

And she can take a joke. I love hearing Kathy Griffin's stories about meeting her backstage. She seems relatively down to earth despite the eccentricities of her stage acts.

BTW, Little Ricky, excellent response to my comment. You said it all. Everyone's taste is different yet so few people seem able to admit that. With so many it's "my way is the ONLY way".

Oh dear, your favorite songs of hers are the ones I most loathe.  Well, there you go!  But at least you have good taste in sitcom stars.  ;)  As for Streisand, funny you should mention her.  I think of her kind of like I do Celine Dion: I think they have fantastic voices, I just hate the songs they choose to record.

Yeah, Streisand always and I mean always went against the grain, choosing these boring ballads or Broadway songs BEFORE it was normal to do so, but I have bought every single album she ever made, watched every special and was fortunate enough to see her LIVE show also, I adore her, i've always said, that Ball and Benny were my two favorite comedians and that Sinatra and Streisand my all time faves for singing.  What I also love about Streisand is she can do it all, sing, act, direct, and yet, again, as n Lucy's case, never getting the respect she so truly deserves.  BECAUSE SHE'S A SECOND CLASS CITIZEN IN THESE PEOPLE'S MINDS, AS SHE'S A WOMAN!

Yeah, Streisand always and I mean always went against the grain, choosing these boring ballads or Broadway songs BEFORE it was normal to do so, but I have bought every single album she ever made, watched every special and was fortunate enough to see her LIVE show also, I adore her, i've always said, that Ball and Benny were my two favorite comedians and that Sinatra and Streisand my all time faves for singing.  What I also love about Streisand is she can do it all, sing, act, direct, and yet, again, as n Lucy's case, never getting the respect she so truly deserves.  BECAUSE SHE'S A SECOND CLASS CITIZREN IN THESE PEOPLE'S MINDS, AS SHE'S A WOMAN!

I do greatly respect Barbra Streisand, not only for her voice and her strong will, and the many facets of her talent, but also for her activism. 

I've never been a huge fan of hers or anything, mostly because of how over-commercialized many of her songs become. My Heart Will Go On has been done to death so many times that I cannot bear to listen to it anymore.

So I'm not alone on that.  :)

My respect for Celine grew after I saw the Canadian TV movie about her life. Although it took dramatic license (it was entirely in English when more than half should've been in French)

I hate when they do that!  That's one of the things that bugs me about "The Ricardos Visit Cuba" and "Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana": There are scenes when Ricky and other Cubans are talking to one another in English . . . and they're in Cuba!  They could have put subtitles and keep it real.  It's even more appropriate to do that when the film is a biography of an actual person.

Don't care for a lot of her material, but you cannot deny the woman is talented!

Exactly!  That's a more succinct way of expressing the feelings I have about both Ms. Streisand and Ms. Dion.  I'm blown away by their voices, but I don't want to listen to them because I don't like the songs they sing.  :)

BTW, Little Ricky, excellent response to my comment. You said it all. Everyone's taste is different yet so few people seem able to admit that. With so many it's "my way is the ONLY way".

Thank you.  :)

Archived