What's My Line Agnes Moorehead

Luvsbway

This was the 5-day/week syndicated version which started about a year after the nighttime version ended and lasted until 1975, so WML bested Lucy's run by two years--one year on either end.  (Lucy is usually cited for 23 years in series TV without acknowledging the 2 years off) This WML lacked the evening-dress glamor and class of the John Daly version.  Soupy Sales ain't Bennett Cerf,although I think Bennett was on it for a while.  Agnes obviously doesn't realize or appreciate that she's best known for TV.

Thanks for posting this. I love how Lucie calls her "Aggie." Lucie is, to my knowledge, the youngest ever panelist in the history of What's My Line? and the only panelist ever who was born after What's My Line? premiered.

Soon after this, Agnes returned to Broadway in Gigi. She became ill early in the run and was replaced by her old pal Arlene Francis. Agnes died soon afterwards - about a year after this What's My Line? episode.

Bennett Cerf was a frequent guest panelist on the syndicated version. He died in 1971 and "new" episodes featuring him were still airing in some markets for a while afterwards.

A LONG while, I think...Same with Cliff Arquettte/Charley Weaver on Hollywood squares.  In those days, you only HEARD a celebrity of this caliber died.   It's not like the headline was on the front page.  There was no internet around to check it out.   In both cases, I thought maybe the person was still alive after all.

Archived