" SILVIA PINAL ES MAME Y MAME ES SILVIA PINAL"

Neil

DIOS MIO!  Soy su Tia MAME!!

I'll bet the male dancers doing the splits in those shorty shorts did indeed let out a Rudy Vallee squeal.  Is there someone who can translate the actual lyrics?

In the comments about this youtube clip was this one:

No cabe duda, el eslogan publicitario en ese entonces decìa. " SILVIA PINAL ES MAME Y MAME ES SILVIA PINAL". Es verdad Enorme actriz..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUnNzvDTUKs

I am intrigued by this choreography, but Wikipedia tells me that SIlvia Pinal also produced this production, so if that's the kind of choreography she wanted, she sure picked some good steps. I'd love to know the translation as well.

It's interesting that the stage direction in the original book of the musical that Mame "outdances" each and every one of these whipper-snappers is somehow translated in Mexico to "Paddle Ball their asses off."

I am intrigued by this choreography, but Wikipedia tells me that SIlvia Pinal also produced this production, so if that's the kind of choreography she wanted, she sure picked some good steps. I'd love to know the translation as well.

It's interesting that the stage direction in the original book of the musical that Mame "outdances" each and every one of these whipper-snappers is somehow translated in Mexico to "Paddle Ball their asses off."

Reminds me of "I Don't Want To Show Off" from "Drowsy Chaperone".

Here's the audio of the "Mame" number....which means that an original cast album exists.

DIOS MIO!  Soy su Tia MAME!!

I'll bet the male dancers doing the splits in those shorty shorts did indeed let out a Rudy Vallee squeal.  Is there someone who can translate the actual lyrics?

In the comments about this youtube clip was this one:

No cabe duda, el eslogan publicitario en ese entonces decìa. " SILVIA PINAL ES MAME Y MAME ES SILVIA PINAL". Es verdad Enorme actriz..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUnNzvDTUKs

SHE'S VERY GOOD, sings and dances great but I could have done without the gym class element in the dancing, and I thought I had seen every woman do that arms up in the air thing to get a standing ovation BUT, have never seen anyone NOT GIVE UP and keep their arms up forever and only getting the standing O after bringing them down already, LOL!  And yes, Lucy did it too a few times. 

Reminds me of "I Don't Want To Show Off" from "Drowsy Chaperone".

Here's the audio of the "Mame" number....which means that an original cast album exists.

That HAS to be one of the all time BEST Broadway songs EVER!!!!!  I don't care if the singer is not known to us or the voice off or from the 3rd road company playing Syracuse, it is impossible not to sound great.

I am intrigued by this choreography, but Wikipedia tells me that SIlvia Pinal also produced this production, so if that's the kind of choreography she wanted, she sure picked some good steps. 

I'm very glad those balls were attached to the paddles by a string. It would have been GHASTLY if someone stepped on the ball. Just GHASTLY! 

Is this the only professionally filmed production of Mame that we know of? There have been rumors that the 1984 Lansbury revival was filmed for Showtime and then never aired. 

She is definetly fantasico in this number.  This is a top notch production I just love it.  The song "YO soy Juventud" translates "I am Youth" based on the song "That's How Young I Feel."  It is great to see this piece of art.  The gym clothes look more 70s though than 40s which is based on the style of dance but still it is great.  She is the best theatre Mame (Lucy is the best film Mame but I won't offend anyone who I like more.)  The choreography is so much better than Angela's choreography based on clips from Youtube though I like Angela's singing and enthusism. 

I wish there was footage of Ann Miller's much raved about "That's How Young I Feel," 

That would be cool to see.  She was a great dancer and singer.  I bet she knocks Silvia down.  I love her in the Love Boat 1982. She still is the same old Ann as before.  Goes to show age doesn't stop talent so stop ageism.

Archived