Early Lucy short "Foolish Hearts" in new DVD collection

Brock

I haven't heard of this one before, but there is a new DVD set out now claiming a short film from early in Lucy's career called Foolish Hearts. I can't get to HC's book at the moment to check this out, but does anyone know anything about this?

Here's what the website says:

Foolish Hearts (1935): A movie director tries to fool a bigwig producer into believing that a cigarette girl at Hollywood nightclub is a famous foreign actress. Lucille Ball plays a hat-check girl In a very early, uncredited performance. Starring Lucille Ball, Tony Martin, Phyllis Brooks, Jack Norton.

Talent Auction (1938): A theatrical producer must sell his variety show to the highest bidder. Starring Irene Beasley, The Merry Macs, The Five Reillys, Paul Robinson and Bobby Bernard.

Bob's Busy Day (1942): Bob Hope and his traveling companions arrive in South America and have a run-in with a local official. Starring Bob Hope, Leah Ray, Frances Halliday, Jules Epailly, Vicky Cummings, William Edmumds; Directed by Al Christie.

Sing with the Stars: Hit Songs of 1944: The "bouncing ball leads the audience in a sing-along with the top hits of the year. Starring Jeri Sullavan, Phyllis Lynne and Victoria Cordova.

The Game of Love (1934): Lew White, "America's Celebrated Organist," accompanys Bill Coty on vocals with narration by Norman Brokenshire. Whimsically illustrated title slides provide the lyrics for the songs.

2j0b7m9.jpg

I haven't heard of this one before, but there is a new DVD set out now claiming a short film from early in Lucy's career called Foolish Hearts. I can't get to HC's book at the moment to check this out, but does anyone know anything about this?

Here's what the website says:

Foolish Hearts (1935): A movie director tries to fool a bigwig producer into believing that a cigarette girl at Hollywood nightclub is a famous foreign actress. Lucille Ball plays a hat-check girl In a very early, uncredited performance. Starring Lucille Ball, Tony Martin, Phyllis Brooks, Jack Norton.

Talent Auction (1938): A theatrical producer must sell his variety show to the highest bidder. Starring Irene Beasley, The Merry Macs, The Five Reillys, Paul Robinson and Bobby Bernard.

Bob's Busy Day (1942): Bob Hope and his traveling companions arrive in South America and have a run-in with a local official. Starring Bob Hope, Leah Ray, Frances Halliday, Jules Epailly, Vicky Cummings, William Edmumds; Directed by Al Christie.

Sing with the Stars: Hit Songs of 1944: The "bouncing ball leads the audience in a sing-along with the top hits of the year. Starring Jeri Sullavan, Phyllis Lynne and Victoria Cordova.

The Game of Love (1934): Lew White, "America's Celebrated Organist," accompanys Bill Coty on vocals with narration by Norman Brokenshire. Whimsically illustrated title slides provide the lyrics for the songs.

2j0b7m9.jpg

HC lists it in his book. Can't go too wrong for $6...so order it. I have not heard of it either, so look forward to seeing it too. Have a lot of early LB.

Lucy's short "A Night at the Biltmore Bowl" is also available on another DVD collection. This one I have seen and it's enjoyable. Surprisingly, Lucy is not mentioned on the packaging at all.  http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Comedy-Music-Classics-Volume/dp/B005ENCIZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381035404&sr=8-1&keywords=NIGHT+AT+THE+BILTMORE+BOWL

Lucy's short "A Night at the Biltmore Bowl" is also available on another DVD collection. This one I have seen and it's enjoyable. Surprisingly, Lucy is not mentioned on the packaging at all.  http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Comedy-Music-Classics-Volume/dp/B005ENCIZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381035404&sr=8-1&keywords=NIGHT+AT+THE+BILTMORE+BOWL

Interesting -- same DVD company too. I'll order this one as well. Thanks!

Welcome to the Lounge! HC is our member "HarryCarter" upthread. Under his own name of James Sheridan, he has co-written one of the ultimate books for any Lucy library:

http://www.amazon.com/Lucille-Ball-FAQ-Everything-Americas/dp/1617740829/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381123831&sr=8-1&keywords=lucille+ball+faq

:viv1: There, do I get my new hat?

;)

Welcome to the Lounge! HC is our member "HarryCarter" upthread. Under his own name of James Sheridan, he has co-written one of the ultimate books for any Lucy library:

http://www.amazon.com/Lucille-Ball-FAQ-Everything-Americas/dp/1617740829/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381123831&sr=8-1&keywords=lucille+ball+faq

:viv1: There, do I get my new hat?

;)

Only if it has little blue pearls! ;)

What were these shorts like?

I haven't received Foolish Hearts yet, but the plot of A Night at the Biltmore Bowl starta off at a party at Betty Grable's house. Betty hosts a scavenger hunt for her young show biz friends and they all have to meet at the Biltmore Bowl by a certain time with their item. The rest of the short is the gang arriving at the Bowl with their item and interacting with each other, while Betty and her date attempt to get their item: the bandleader's baton. It's some interesting early work by Lucy. I think Betty and Grady Sutton are the only actors whose names are mentioned onscreen.

My copy of Foolish Hearts has arrived! The quality is a bit better than A Night at the Biltmore Bowl. The latter had an occasional line that made it seem like it was just copied from a VHS.

Lucy actually only has one line in Foolish Hearts, but she is seen throughout the short. She has a very funny physical gag!

Archived