Lucy episodes you forget about

As memorable as some episodes are, there are a few that I always seem to forget about until I look at the DVD episode list and go "oh yeah! That one!" Sometimes I recall the title but not the plot.

A few that I forget about are Cuban Pals, The Saxophone, The Fox Hunt, Lucy's Night in Town, Ricky's Life Story, Bicycle Trip, Lucy Hates to Leave and Little Ricky Plays the Drums. I couldn't give you a detailed synopsis of any of those episodes as I always forget about them.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How Can You Forget About The Saxophone, Or Cuban Pals? I Agree With Some Of The Others, One For Me That I Tend To Skip Over Is

The Operetta, I Don't Know Exactly Why Though. What About The Lucy Show, Or Heres Lucy?

How Can You Forget About The Saxophone, Or Cuban Pals? I Agree With Some Of The Others, One For Me That I Tend To Skip Over Is

The Operetta, I Don't Know Exactly Why Though. What About The Lucy Show, Or Heres Lucy?

For some reason I just don't tend to include any of those in most of my repeat selections. So I tend to forget what happens in them. I recently watched Cuban Pals and The Saxophone and enjoyed them. Almost like watching it for the first time.

There are several TLS and HL episodes I either haven't watched at all or in a long time. I can't recall even the names of them off hand.

The only really funny parts of the Rodeo are when the Mertzes sing "Birmingham Jail" really upbeat, then he makes them sing it slooooooooow and sad, and then Lucy's nasal version of "Home on the range." 

can't recall any from HL or TLS. Maybe TLS "Lucy and the countess lose weight," and HL, "Lucy the Wealthy Widow." I didn't remember what that episode was about until I rewatched it. 

I have never forgotten any Lucy episode. Never. I have watched them all so many times (some more than others), thought about them, things in life that remind me of them, etc. that it makes it difficult to forget about them. 

We all agree with you but are lying, otherwise it would be a pretty thin thread.

We all agree with you but are lying, otherwise it would be a pretty thin thread.

Well let's face it, there are some we rewatch more than others because we like them more. It will vary for everyone. And the ones that I don't watch as frequently I sometimes forget specific details about. I remember bits of all of them but sometimes do forget big chunks. I'd completely forgotten the African dance ending to Cuban Pals until I saw it again the other night. It was like seeing it for the first time.

I have never forgotten any Lucy episode. Never. I have watched them all so many times (some more than others), thought about them, things in life that remind me of them, etc. that it makes it difficult to forget about them.

So you're saying that you can recall every line, every detail of every single episode in the entire Lucy canon? If so that is impressive. I can for many, many episodes, but not all of them.

So you're saying that you can recall every line, every detail of every single episode in the entire Lucy canon? If so that is impressive. I can for many, many episodes, but not all of them.

No. I am saying that I know the plot of each episode. I know what happens in each episode as I've seen them all before. Forgetting them actually would be a blessing in disguise as it will allow me to watch them as if they were something "new to watch".

No. I am saying that I know the plot of each episode. I know what happens in each episode as I've seen them all before. Forgetting them actually would be a blessing in disguise as it will allow me to watch them as if they were something "new to watch".

Well, they'll be NEW to Blu Ray and eventually COLOR so that's something I am looking forward to.  After wondering what color something was for half a century or more, it will be nice to finally see them in a different way.

Well, they'll be NEW to Blu Ray and eventually COLOR so that's something I am looking forward to.  After wondering what color something was for half a century or more, it will be nice to finally see them in a different way.

Point taken on I Love Lucy, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour and the first season of The Lucy Show but not so much with the remaining eleven Lucy seasons that follow afterwards unless they are in black and white. But watching those in black and white doesn't sound all that appealing, at least, to me anyways. It will be just weird. 

Watching them all in order was a good task because it forced me to watch the ones I often don't watch much, thus remembering scenes I had forgotten about.

Watched I Love Lucy in that way when Nick-at-Nite was the running the show. Watched The Lucy Show in that way as well some number years ago (like 2001-2002). Tried that again this year with TLS (started with season one) but eventually quit as I wasn't interested in watching certain episodes at the time. Never watched Here's Lucy in episode order but have with the individual seasons. 

It took Nick-at-Nite usually about six months to complete one cycle of I Love Lucy (when they aired an episode once a day, everyday). I remember them always airing the Hollywood, Europe, Florida and Country episodes in the summer and winter months. However, one summer (it was 1999) they stopped mid-way through the series (at episode #116 "Lucy Gets in Pictures") and started back to the beginning. That was the same year they quit cycles early for a number of series like The Jeffersons, Happy Days, The Brady Bunch, etc. and started them back to the beginning. During the same time period though, they were running a different cycle of ILL on Saturdays with two episodes (in the Whole Lotta Lucy block which also included The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour). They also had a third cycle running on Sundays with two episodes as well. The saturday cycle started with episode #37 "The Handcuffs" and ended somewhere in the Hollywood season and the Sunday cycle started from the very beginning and ended somewhere near the end of season one/beginning of season two. The Sunday cycle was apart of the three hour Twice as Nice block with featured back-to-back episodes of each The Jeffersons and The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Those series' Sunday cycle started at the beginning too and were unique from their regular cycle. Unlike TV Land (2001-2008, 2012-Present) and The Hallmark Channel (2009-Present), Nick-at-Nite (1994-2001) started a new cycle of I Love Lucy with episode #1 "Lucy Thinks Ricky Is Trying to Murder Her" as the first episode of the series as that was the first episode filmed (not counting the Pilot episode). In regards to the Pilot episode, The Disney Channel aired that throughout the 90s and thus was not apart of the regular I Love Lucy syndication package at that time.

Well generally speaking plot wise I know that gist for all of them. But some of my less frequently seen ones I can't immediately recall offhand, nor could I give specific details. But I remember the basics for them. I remembered the general outline for Cuban Pals, and the wonderful scrubwomen scene, but the ending had completely slipped my mind. Even seeing it again didn't bring it back. It really was like seeing something brand new. Of course now its fresh in my mind and that episode is no longer a forgotten one!

Watched I Love Lucy in that way when Nick-at-Nite was the running the show. Watched The Lucy Show in that way as well some number of years ago (like 2001-2002). Tried that again this year with TLS (started with season one) but eventually quit as I wasn't interested in watching certain episodes at the time. Never watched Here's Lucy in episode order but have with the individual seasons.

I don't think I could ever watch Here's Lucy in order. There are many episodes of that series I WANT to forget about. I can only pick and choose with that one.

If I read the title of the episode I know the plot and that applies to every Lucy episode ever. Not every line or scene. But the main jist of the episode.

Like if I know I wanna watch Lucy I will skim through each episode to know which one I want to watch because as I read through I am reminded one by one the main plot of the episode.

Well generally speaking plot wise I know that gist for all of them. But some of my less frequently seen ones I can't immediately recall offhand, nor could I give specific details. But I remember the basics for them. I remembered the general outline for Cuban Pals, and the wonderful scrubwomen scene, but the ending had completely slipped my mind. Even seeing it again didn't bring it back. It really was like seeing something brand new. Of course now its fresh in my mind and that episode is no longer a forgotten one!

Yeah, I would think after awhile of not seeing a particular episode that your memory of it would become fuzzy. I guess it depends on the number of times you've seen it and the last time it was viewed. I have had the same thing happen to me with certain episodes of other series. Not so with I Love Lucy.

And speaking of which, I've been thinking over the past year about taking a lengthy break from I Love Lucy for a certain amount of time so that way it would be "new" to me when I get back to it. However, it would just be weird to go without ILL as it is the one that I have consistently watched throughout the years. Not to mention, it is my all-time favorite. It's my guilty pleasure as some would say. So I feel I am stuck between rock and hard place. I guess I can substitute the other Lucy programs for I Love Lucy but it's not exactly the same. And it is especially hard (depending on the episode and the mood I am in) to pass up a televised airing of the ILL series. I don't know. It's a tough decision, lol.

I don't think I could ever watch Here's Lucy in order. There are many episodes of that series I WANT to forget about. I can only pick and choose with that one.

I can understand. Here's Lucy is a complex series ... sometimes it's a sitcom, other times it's a musical-variety show, sometimes it's guest-star driven, other times it's regular cast-driven, sometimes it's new material, other times it's recycled material, ect.. Different team or pair of writers for every other episode. New writers left and right and for some wrote one or two episodes and then left. It is an inconsistent series from beginning to end in that regard. I guess Lucy was getting tired of the daily grind of the sitcom format and wanted to try new things, be contemporary and put some "spice" in this series. Not to mention she probably figured that the well was going to dry up quick in sticking with an only-sitcom format given by the start of Here's Lucy she already starred as basically the same character in over 300 sitcom-oriented episodes.

Which episodes are you trying to forget? Just wondering.

Archived