A Whole Lotta Lucy

I was at the Paley Center on Thursday in NYC and got to watch a bunch of Lucy stuff I have never seen before.  Her are my reactions along with some pics I have that match up to some shows.

The Carol Burnett Show (1968) (Eddie Albert, Nancy Wilson)

In this long out of circulation episode, Lucy joins Carol Burnett in a soap opera spoof, As the Stomach Turns, and a musical salute to some of history’s greatest women.

The soap opera takeoff is about two women who go to a lot of funerals and then in soap opera fashion a hunky man shows up at their door.  He then dies too and we get a cliff hanger in typical soap opera fashion.

I also checked out the beginning of this episode and Lucy does the Q and A with Carol at the beginning.  An audience member asked if her mother was there, and Lucy had DeDe stand up.  Carol does her Tarzan yell and Lucy’s reaction to it’s loudness is really funny.

The Carol Burnett Show (1970) (Mel Tormé)

Lucy returns to Carol’s show for sketches and musical numbers, including a takeoff on Some Like It Hot, in this seldom seen episode.

This Some Like it Hot take off sketch goes on for a really long time and is a turn around that Lucy and Carol are dressed like men.  To me it was sort of boring.

There was a musical number that was in one of these episodes where Lucy was wearing an awesome white dress for a musical number.  Bob Mackie could really make her look great.  I wish he would have done more outfits for her and not just when she was on the show.

I watched about 2 more Carol Burnett Shows and don’t remember all the dates but here are 2 more sketches I recall.

One was Carol and Lucy both had little girls at an audition.  The girls were dressed similar to their moms.  Lucy wore that blue suit with the white shirt under that she wore a tone on the last season of the Lucy Show.  The moms would ask the girls to do something, ex. get me a drink of water and the girls would tap dance their way through a task.  At one point the casting director says they are done casting blondes and need a brunette.  Lucy whips off the girls blonde wig and starts combing the brunette wig underneath.

Another show that was in black and white had Carol and Lucy competing as flight attendants to see who could get the most passenger votes for an award.  It was a really funny sketch and Lucy had on the cutest little pleated mini skirt as her uniform.  A large Hispanic man boards the plane and we know this guy is going to hijack the plane.  Carol asks him if his accent is Spanish and if he was going to Havana.  The guy says “what makes you think I’m going to Havana?  Lucy’s reply, “If there is one thing I know it’s a Cuban accent.”.  This got a HUGE long laugh, totally loved it.

In the Lucy Book it states that Lucy seems to be walking through her performances on Carol’s shows.    These are the most sketches I have seen from the show and I totally disagree.  Lucy has so much energy in all these sketches and does them all very well.  I really wish some of these will make it to DVD some day. 

Dinah Shore: Like Hep (1969)

In this infrequently seen special, Dinah Shore and Diana Ross attempt to teach Lucy through song that “hip” is now “hep."

Finally got to see this one.  Cute song and dance but nothing really memorable in it.

hep.jpg

The Garry Moore Show (1960)

Lucy shares some of her favorite outtakes from her film The Facts of Life, costarring Bob Hope, on this television classic.

Lucy seems rather relaxed on this and they show outtakes from FOL.. The outtakes include the bar scene in Mexico and Lucy and Bob break up about 3 times doing it. The other one I recall is when they get the fish and Lucy hugs and kisses Bob.  The outtake is funny because as she’s kissing him she just totally cracks up laughing.

The Ed Sullivan Show (1961)

The Ed Sullivan Show provides the only film record of Lucille Ball’s sole Broadway appearance, Wildcat, when Lucy performs the hit song “Hey, Look Me Over!” on the show.

I hadn’t seen the full version of this in a long time and watched it again.  Ed makes reference to Lucy coming back to the show after a virus.  I think the real reason was just exhaustion and this is when she got back from Jamaica after the 2 week rest.  She still looks tired but what is really shocking watching it is how very thin she is.  Like 1930’s bit part days thin. 

The Ed Sullivan Show (1968)

Lucy promotes her most successful film, Yours, Mine and Ours, with the eighteen young performers who play her children.

The whole interaction with Ed in this is weird as it seems all scripted, no light, fun talk which by this time Lucy can do really well.  They then have all the kids from the movie run around in PJ’s and pillow fighting while they sing the song that plays over the opening credits.  It’s all sort of odd and Lucy runs around in the number doing things like collecting stuffed animals and breaking up pillow fights.

ed.jpg

The Don Ho Show (1977)

HC described this one pretty good in the thread with the small clip of this.  I like Lucie singing Mame though and Lucy really does just walk around with her drink in sunglasses but it’s really funny in an odd way.

The Dick Cavett Show (1971)

Lucy shares the stage with Lucie Arnaz and Carol Burnett. 

Another stand out interview.  Learned a lot of interesting stuff from this one.  Lucie is on and this is right before she got married to Phil but was engaged.  Dick asked her at one point if she would marry into show biz.  She said that her finance was sort of in the biz but that she didn’t see a problem with it.  Dick also asked Lucy about if she thought Lucie was old enough to get married.  Lucy said that when her and Phil got together she wasn’t ready but that she felt she was ready to get married now.  Seems like Lucie may not have set a date yet, but I was expecting Lucy to say anything about her waiting until she was 20 but that didn’t come up.  Dick asked Lucie who’s idea it was to move out and Lucy said oh it was Lucie’s but that she started to realize she was ready.  Sounds like they had a lot of fights about it but Lucy did start to understand from these fights why  she wanted to and that she realized she was ready.

Dick talked a lot about Lucy’s early days in NYC.  He asked her is she ever ran away from home and she said only once all the other times she had permission to go.  That one time she didn’t get far and her mom found her and gave her an umbrella and a lunch and said “here, you’ll need these.”  Lucie then said, “that sounds like something DeDe would say.”  Lucy also talked about how terribly homesick she would get in NYC and every time she would have her mother send her money so she could get home.  Lucy knew that it was getting expensive for DeDe to keep bringing her home.

One story that I really liked but knowing Lucy’s tendency to exaggerate I wonder if it was 100% true but there are facts here.  She was in NYC and had got a chorus part in Rio Rita and told everyone in Jamestown she was going to be on Broadway.  The next day the whole line get’s let go.  Lucy said all the other girls left but the stupid teenager she was she just stood in front of the theatre crying.  A man came out and gave her some advice and that there would be other roles.  The guy then walks off and Lucy said she followed him crying for 2 blocks until he turned around and told her to stop following him.  Lucy then went on saying that she was so upset and didn’t know how she was going to tell people back home she got fired.  She thought she should just end it all know.  Then she got this idea to get hit by a car.  Saw a huge limo pass her and then runs out in front of it.  It just stopped and she gave up the suicide attempt.  It really did sound like a young and dumb story but you should have seen the look on Lucie’s face.  She seemed really sad and concerned at the same time.  Dick says well it was good he stopped or I would be talking to an empty chair.  Lucie then says “2 empty chairs.”  Lucy also said that she had not told Lucie some of this NYC stuff earlier as she thought she was too young but that she was old enough to hear it now.

Dick also asked Lucy if she wanted to do more dramatic roles and Lucy didn’t seem interested in that.  Carol and Lucie brought up The Big Street and said how wonderful she was in that.  Lucie said that it always makes her cry when she watches that movie.

Dick also talked about some heat he got in about woman at parties or something.  He asked who she hung around with at parties.  Lucy said that if Carol is there she would follow Carol around but mostly she would just stay with her husband.

The whole interview was really good and everyone was so relaxed and looking great.  I did take notice of Lucy’s rings again and she was wearing the diamond cluster one on her right and what we have determined to be the engagement and wedding ring on her left.

dick.jpg

The Good Years (1962) 

The long wait to see this one.  I was surprised how much singing Lucy did in this one.  At least three scenes with her singing and they were not bad.  I was also expecting it to be more comedy from what I read but it really wasn’t.  My favorite sketch was the court room scene where Lucy does the turkey trot.  So much fun watching that one.  It was so great to match up the photos I have of this show to the actual scenes.  This really needs to come out on DVD as I would watch it more.

gy.jpg

The Greatest Show on Earth: Lady in Limbo (1963)  

I really, really liked Lucy in this.  Full on dramatic role for her at a time when she was not doing this at all.  Proved that she is still an actress.  Boy in circus has dad killed by bear.  Lucy plays a woman who has a horse act in the show and is an orphan herself so she knows what it is like to go from home to home.  She takes in the boy and wants to adopt him.  She meets with a lawyer to do that but being not married, in the circus, no religion, etc…  he won’t do the adoption.  The boy’s aunt wants to take him, but in the end he get’s to stay with Lucy and the circus.   I’m a sucker for dramatic Lucy and this delivered, I could totally feel for her character.

great.JPG

The Practice: The Dream (1976)

Lucy plays a rather crazy woman who has dreams about her medical condition, which by the end of the episode come true.  She pretty much plays “Lucy” but a little more hippie crazy like.  Danny Kaye is pretty much playing his same type of character too.  This would have been fun to put on the Season 6 DVD set of HL.

The Zsa Zsa Gabor Show (1969)

This show was weird.  Zsa Zsa is wearing a ton of jewels but the set looks so cheap it could fall down any minute.  Her daughter calls in and then when they give it to her no one is on the line.  They do get her though and Lucy and Zsa Zas both talk to her.  Zsa Zsa is a terrible talk show host as she has no consistent line of questions and you can’t understand her.  I don’t know who the other guy was but he acted almost as an interpreter and show runner at the same time.  Zsa Zsa askes Lucy who the fascinating men in her life are, which gets a reaction from Lucy as she is not sure how to answer that.  She mentions some met who she thinks are very interesting and later Sanders name does come up but not anything like it did on that Dinah show.  The whole show was rather odd.

I was at the Paley Center on Thursday in NYC and got to watch a bunch of Lucy stuff I have never seen before.  Her are my reactions along with some pics I have that match up to some shows.

The Carol Burnett Show (1968) (Eddie Albert, Nancy Wilson)

In this long out of circulation episode, Lucy joins Carol Burnett in a soap opera spoof, As the Stomach Turns, and a musical salute to some of history’s greatest women.

The soap opera takeoff is about two women who go to a lot of funerals and then in soap opera fashion a hunky man shows up at their door.  He then dies too and we get a cliff hanger in typical soap opera fashion.

I also checked out the beginning of this episode and Lucy does the Q and A with Carol at the beginning.  An audience member asked if her mother was there, and Lucy had DeDe stand up.  Carol does her Tarzan yell and Lucy’s reaction to it’s loudness is really funny.

The Carol Burnett Show (1970) (Mel Tormé)

Lucy returns to Carol’s show for sketches and musical numbers, including a takeoff on Some Like It Hot, in this seldom seen episode.

This Some Like it Hot take off sketch goes on for a really long time and is a turn around that Lucy and Carol are dressed like men.  To me it was sort of boring.

There was a musical number that was in one of these episodes where Lucy was wearing an awesome white dress for a musical number.  Bob Mackie could really make her look great.  I wish he would have done more outfits for her and not just when she was on the show.

I watched about 2 more Carol Burnett Shows and don’t remember all the dates but here are 2 more sketches I recall.

One was Carol and Lucy both had little girls at an audition.  The girls were dressed similar to their moms.  Lucy wore that blue suit with the white shirt under that she wore a tone on the last season of the Lucy Show.  The moms would ask the girls to do something, ex. get me a drink of water and the girls would tap dance their way through a task.  At one point the casting director says they are done casting blondes and need a brunette.  Lucy whips off the girls blonde wig and starts combing the brunette wig underneath.

Another show that was in black and white had Carol and Lucy competing as flight attendants to see who could get the most passenger votes for an award.  It was a really funny sketch and Lucy had on the cutest little pleated mini skirt as her uniform.  A large Hispanic man boards the plane and we know this guy is going to hijack the plane.  Carol asks him if his accent is Spanish and if he was going to Havana.  The guy says “what makes you think I’m going to Havana?  Lucy’s reply, “If there is one thing I know it’s a Cuban accent.”.  This got a HUGE long laugh, totally loved it.

In the Lucy Book it states that Lucy seems to be walking through her performances on Carol’s shows.    These are the most sketches I have seen from the show and I totally disagree.  Lucy has so much energy in all these sketches and does them all very well.  I really wish some of these will make it to DVD some day. 

Dinah Shore: Like Hep (1969)

In this infrequently seen special, Dinah Shore and Diana Ross attempt to teach Lucy through song that “hip” is now “hep."

Finally got to see this one.  Cute song and dance but nothing really memorable in it.

hep.jpg

The Garry Moore Show (1960)

Lucy shares some of her favorite outtakes from her film The Facts of Life, costarring Bob Hope, on this television classic.

Lucy seems rather relaxed on this and they show outtakes from FOL.. The outtakes include the bar scene in Mexico and Lucy and Bob break up about 3 times doing it. The other one I recall is when they get the fish and Lucy hugs and kisses Bob.  The outtake is funny because as she’s kissing him she just totally cracks up laughing.

The Ed Sullivan Show (1961)

The Ed Sullivan Show provides the only film record of Lucille Ball’s sole Broadway appearance, Wildcat, when Lucy performs the hit song “Hey, Look Me Over!” on the show.

I hadn’t seen the full version of this in a long time and watched it again.  Ed makes reference to Lucy coming back to the show after a virus.  I think the real reason was just exhaustion and this is when she got back from Jamaica after the 2 week rest.  She still looks tired but what is really shocking watching it is how very thin she is.  Like 1930’s bit part days thin. 

The Ed Sullivan Show (1968)

Lucy promotes her most successful film, Yours, Mine and Ours, with the eighteen young performers who play her children.

The whole interaction with Ed in this is weird as it seems all scripted, no light, fun talk which by this time Lucy can do really well.  They then have all the kids from the movie run around in PJ’s and pillow fighting while they sing the song that plays over the opening credits.  It’s all sort of odd and Lucy runs around in the number doing things like collecting stuffed animals and breaking up pillow fights.

ed.jpg

The Don Ho Show (1977)

HC described this one pretty good in the thread with the small clip of this.  I like Lucie singing Mame though and Lucy really does just walk around with her drink in sunglasses but it’s really funny in an odd way.

The Dick Cavett Show (1971)

Lucy shares the stage with Lucie Arnaz and Carol Burnett. 

Another stand out interview.  Learned a lot of interesting stuff from this one.  Lucie is on and this is right before she got married to Phil but was engaged.  Dick asked her at one point if she would marry into show biz.  She said that her finance was sort of in the biz but that she didn’t see a problem with it.  Dick also asked Lucy about if she thought Lucie was old enough to get married.  Lucy said that when her and Phil got together she wasn’t ready but that she felt she was ready to get married now.  Seems like Lucie may not have set a date yet, but I was expecting Lucy to say anything about her waiting until she was 20 but that didn’t come up.  Dick asked Lucie who’s idea it was to move out and Lucy said oh it was Lucie’s but that she started to realize she was ready.  Sounds like they had a lot of fights about it but Lucy did start to understand from these fights why  she wanted to and that she realized she was ready.

Dick talked a lot about Lucy’s early days in NYC.  He asked her is she ever ran away from home and she said only once all the other times she had permission to go.  That one time she didn’t get far and her mom found her and gave her an umbrella and a lunch and said “here, you’ll need these.”  Lucie then said, “that sounds like something DeDe would say.”  Lucy also talked about how terribly homesick she would get in NYC and every time she would have her mother send her money so she could get home.  Lucy knew that it was getting expensive for DeDe to keep bringing her home.

One story that I really liked but knowing Lucy’s tendency to exaggerate I wonder if it was 100% true but there are facts here.  She was in NYC and had got a chorus part in Rio Rita and told everyone in Jamestown she was going to be on Broadway.  The next day the whole line get’s let go.  Lucy said all the other girls left but the stupid teenager she was she just stood in front of the theatre crying.  A man came out and gave her some advice and that there would be other roles.  The guy then walks off and Lucy said she followed him crying for 2 blocks until he turned around and told her to stop following him.  Lucy then went on saying that she was so upset and didn’t know how she was going to tell people back home she got fired.  She thought she should just end it all know.  Then she got this idea to get hit by a car.  Saw a huge limo pass her and then runs out in front of it.  It just stopped and she gave up the suicide attempt.  It really did sound like a young and dumb story but you should have seen the look on Lucie’s face.  She seemed really sad and concerned at the same time.  Dick says well it was good he stopped or I would be talking to an empty chair.  Lucie then says “2 empty chairs.”  Lucy also said that she had not told Lucie some of this NYC stuff earlier as she thought she was too young but that she was old enough to hear it now.

Dick also asked Lucy if she wanted to do more dramatic roles and Lucy didn’t seem interested in that.  Carol and Lucie brought up The Big Street and said how wonderful she was in that.  Lucie said that it always makes her cry when she watches that movie.

Dick also talked about some heat he got in about woman at parties or something.  He asked who she hung around with at parties.  Lucy said that if Carol is there she would follow Carol around but mostly she would just stay with her husband.

The whole interview was really good and everyone was so relaxed and looking great.  I did take notice of Lucy’s rings again and she was wearing the diamond cluster one on her right and what we have determined to be the engagement and wedding ring on her left.

dick.jpg

The Good Years (1962) 

The long wait to see this one.  I was surprised how much singing Lucy did in this one.  At least three scenes with her singing and they were not bad.  I was also expecting it to be more comedy from what I read but it really wasn’t.  My favorite sketch was the court room scene where Lucy does the turkey trot.  So much fun watching that one.  It was so great to match up the photos I have of this show to the actual scenes.  This really needs to come out on DVD as I would watch it more.

gy.jpg

The Greatest Show on Earth: Lady in Limbo (1963)  

I really, really liked Lucy in this.  Full on dramatic role for her at a time when she was not doing this at all.  Proved that she is still an actress.  Boy in circus has dad killed by bear.  Lucy plays a woman who has a horse act in the show and is an orphan herself so she knows what it is like to go from home to home.  She takes in the boy and wants to adopt him.  She meets with a lawyer to do that but being not married, in the circus, no religion, etc…  he won’t do the adoption.  The boy’s aunt wants to take him, but in the end he get’s to stay with Lucy and the circus.   I’m a sucker for dramatic Lucy and this delivered, I could totally feel for her character.

great.JPG

The Practice: The Dream (1976)

Lucy plays a rather crazy woman who has dreams about her medical condition, which by the end of the episode come true.  She pretty much plays “Lucy” but a little more hippie crazy like.  Danny Kaye is pretty much playing his same type of character too.  This would have been fun to put on the Season 6 DVD set of HL.

This show was weird.  Zsa Zsa is wearing a ton of jewels but the set looks so cheap it could fall down any minute.  Her daughter calls in and then when they give it to her no one is on the line.  They do get her though and Lucy and Zsa Zas both talk to her.  Zsa Zsa is a terrible talk show host as she has no consistent line of questions and you can’t understand her.  I don’t know who the other guy was but he acted almost as an interpreter and show runner at the same time.  Zsa Zsa askes Lucy who the fascinating men in her life are, which gets a reaction from Lucy as she is not sure how to answer that.  She mentions some met who she thinks are very interesting and later Sanders name does come up but not anything like it did on that Dinah show.  The whole show was rather odd.

With all you're doing lately, i'm tempted to hand over the title of Lucy's number one fan to you, but i'm just not done with it yet, sorry.  Great pics, great descriptions and one of your all time best posts luv.  Hope to get there one day before I die.  Lucy would be so proud to see that place today.

This show was weird. Zsa Zsa is wearing a ton of jewels but the set looks so cheap it could fall down any minute. Her daughter calls in and then when they give it to her no one is on the line. They do get her though and Lucy and Zsa Zas both talk to her. Zsa Zsa is a terrible talk show host as she has no consistent line of questions and you can’t understand her. I don’t know who the other guy was but he acted almost as an interpreter and show runner at the same time. Zsa Zsa askes Lucy who the fascinating men in her life are, which gets a reaction from Lucy as she is not sure how to answer that. She mentions some met who she thinks are very interesting and later Sanders name does come up but not anything like it did on that Dinah show. The whole show was rather odd.

The Zsa Zsa Gabor Show is wall to wall insanity. I love your observation that it looks like the set could fall down. I love when Zsa Zsa puts the flowers Marty Allen gives her on the coffee table causing the table to nearly fall over. Other highlights: Zsa Zsa asks Lucy who are some of the most interesting men she's met. Lucy answers Bernard Baruch and then FDR. Zsa Zsa says she dated FDR, which Lucy is completely confused by, and Zsa Zsa has to be told that FDR is not John F. Kennedy. Zsa Zsa asks to hear about Lucy's trip to Monaco and Princess Grace, but then almost immediately interrupts Lucy to mention that duke wants to marry her. The dropped phone call is hysterical.

Forgot about that FDR thing, I was like what is she talking about? The whole thing was nutts. Was this a pilot or did a few episodes air?

This is supposed to be an unsold pilot, but at the end of the episode they announce that Jack Lemmon, Lorne Green, and Lee Marvin were the next show's guests. I've never been able to find a record of additional episodes and I have no idea how Zsa Zsa would be able to get those three stars on her show.

Thank you. I did laugh when I got to the library and some guy was watching ILL and laughing his head off. Timeless

Yeah, that's the one thing I remember most from the nighttime newscasts the day she died, all three ABC, CBS and NBC anchors were laughing at the clips and all mentioned with a smile on their face what she had meant to each of them, same thing for Entertainment Tonight's John Tesh and Mary Hart and so many others. 

Jealous doesn't begin to describe my emotions that you got to see all these treasures!! Lucky you!!  I am curious how The Paley Center allows the public to view these, do they hand you a dvd or video to play in a machine or do they program it for you somehow (I would imagine it's not the former given that would make it very easy for things to disappear or get copied).  Is it open to the general public just walking in off the street?

Jealous doesn't begin to describe my emotions that you got to see all these treasures!! Lucky you!!  I am curious how The Paley Center allows the public to view these, do they hand you a dvd or video to play in a machine or do they program it for you somehow (I would imagine it's not the former given that would make it very easy for things to disappear or get copied).  Is it open to the general public just walking in off the street?

The Paley Center is open to the public. The collection is now digitized, so patrons go into the library and are seated at a computer. You can then enter "Lucille Ball" and the 500+ programs with Lucille Ball will be listed. Then you could click on whatever program you want that is digitized and watch it directly on the computer screen. You can watch as much or as little of a show as you want and can rewind, fast forward, etc. Not everything in the collection is digitized at this time, but most of the Lucy rarities are. The programs Shelly viewed were compiled and screend in the Paley Center's screening rooms in celebration of Lucy's centennial in 2011. 

The Dick Cavett Show was taped in New York. I think Lucy ended up arriving at the taping late for some reason and they had Lucie and Carol to on before her.

I was joking, I know his show was done in NYC as I was there one time for a taping, back before my agoraphobia took over.  Lucy looks better than her two much younger fellow guests.  Just lovely!

So fun that you got to view some of this treasure trove, Luvsbway! Thanks for posting the highlights & pictures. Sounds like Lucy fans have another Lucy destination to add their lists  -- the Paley Center.

Thanks for letting us know most of Lucy's content is digitized, Harry, & open to the public, Claude. Sounds like I could spend hours & hours in there. :)

Hey, i'm just happy to see those gorgeous Lucy pictures. Didn't she wear that lovely green floral dress and pants on her own show one time?

I loved the way she dressed in the 1970's. It looked so flattering on her! That number she is wearing looked great on her. Lucie looked great in the bell bottoms and oversized collars of the 70's too! Must be their fabulous figures!

So fun that you got to view some of this treasure trove, Luvsbway! Thanks for posting the highlights & pictures. Sounds like Lucy fans have another Lucy destination to add their lists  -- the Paley Center.

Thanks for letting us know most of Lucy's content is digitized, Harry, & open to the public, Claude. Sounds like I could spend hours & hours in there. :)

You can and it's not hard to do! For those on the west coast or headed in this direction, don't forget there's the LA version --not sure if everything in the library is exactly the same content but from what's been described, it's very similar -- ensonced in Beverly Hills, just a hop, skip and a blab from Roxbury Drive!  :lucy2:

Yeah, one day i'll get there too, NYC is only six hours away by car but I still need a passaport.

You can and it's not hard to do! For those on the west coast or headed in this direction, don't forget there's the LA version --not sure if everything in the library is exactly the same content but from what's been described, it's very similar -- ensonced in Beverly Hills, just a hop, skip and a blab from Roxbury Drive!  :lucy2:

God, Lucy would be so happy about that fact.  When she passed on, she had talked about it with Bill Pailey, but certainly had no idea how big this would be in both major cities decades after she left us.  And close to her house even.

Archived