Lucy "Collins"

I wonder if the reason Lucy Carter became Lucy Collins for this Las Vegas trip was because of Jess's lawsuit---if the settlement involved continued payout for any use of the Carter character.  Otherwise LBP owned the character free and clear one would think.

Coming so soon after the demise of "Here's" (and the fact that she's pretty much the same character), it could just have easily been Lucy Carter.   And Vanda could have been Vanda instead of Gladys, having gotten so carried away with her roly-polies that she waddled all the way to Vegas.

Same with Lucy Whitaker in "Calls the President".  Could have been a reunion of TLS/HL characters with a slight alteration of circumstances.  I don't know what made Lucy think Ed McMahon was up to the task as an actor.  Would rather have had Mrs. Whitaker be a widow, even if they had to kill Ed off at the half-hour mark. Certainly no marital chemistry between Ed and Lucy. 

Interesting that Lucy broke from her "ar" rule for Collins and Whitaker...but not Barker.  And considering her voice at the time, Barker was not a wise choice for surnames.

In Bob O'Brien's script outline that was part of the eBay auction block a few months ago, the character is Lucy Carter. Actually, she is called "Miss Lucy Carter," so maybe they gave the character the Doris Day Show treatment.

As for Ed McMahon, perhaps Lucy heard rave reviews of his performance as Joe Dynamite and thought he would have been a good choice.

I wonder if the reason Lucy Carter became Lucy Collins for this Las Vegas trip was because of Jess's lawsuit---if the settlement involved continued payout for any use of the Carter character.  Otherwise LBP owned the character free and clear one would think.

Coming so soon after the demise of "Here's" (and the fact that she's pretty much the same character), it could just have easily been Lucy Carter.   And Vanda could have been Vanda instead of Gladys, having gotten so carried away with her roly-polies that she waddled all the way to Vegas.

Same with Lucy Whitaker in "Calls the President".  Could have been a reunion of TLS/HL characters with a slight alteration of circumstances.  I don't know what made Lucy think Ed McMahon was up to the task as an actor.  Would rather have had Mrs. Whitaker be a widow, even if they had to kill Ed off at the half-hour mark. Certainly no marital chemistry between Ed and Lucy. 

Interesting that Lucy broke from her "ar" rule for Collins and Whitaker...but not Barker.  And considering her voice at the time, Barker was not a wise choice for surnames.

Thanks for the visual, Neil! :HALKING:  :peachonthebeach:  :lucywow:

That is interesting that it was Lucy Carter supposed to be in LUcy Gets Lucky special.  It would have made sense to continue with the same character since Here's Lucy ended in the top 10. However, this special didn't even win its timeslot so I guess not everyone loved Lucy that night.  I like the special and found it entertaining but it did seem slower pace the laughs.  Lucy Meets the President had more laughs and more of our friends and I found it more enjoyable.  that special needed a new midwestern Lucy though since neither prior Lucys lived out there

, this special didn't even win its timeslot

It didn't?  What was it rated?  I thought all Lucy's specials did well.

Isn't this special the one that Lucie's "Black Dahlia" TV-movie ran opposite?

The only Lucy special that was repeated was "Moves to NBC" and (if my memory is correct) it ran THREE times that season.

The Joan Rivers HL episode ran against the network premiere of "Yours Mine and Ours" on NBC.  I think YMO won the time slot but not by much.

Yours, Mine & Ours got a huge rating as a Monday Night Movie.  It received a 26.0 rating and 40% share of audience.  Here's Lucy was killed by the movie and NFL Football.  This was during the 1973-74 season (the last season of Lucy) and it aired in November.  The first half of 73-74 season Here's Lucy didn't do too well, but, it improved  a lot during the second half season and was number one in its' timeslot from 9-9:30 pm; that is how it managed to land in 29th place with a 20.0 rating and 31% for the 1973-74 season.

Lucy Gets Lucky didn't do too badly.  It received a 18.1 rating and 30% share of audience, but, it did not make the Top 30.  ABC aired a special Saturday Night Movie blockbuster Walking Tall which landed in the top 10.  Who Is The Black Dahlia? finished in third place with a 14.8 rating and 23%.  CBS pre-empted their 9-11 Saturday block of Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett.  The Grammy Awards ran after Lucy with a 16.4 rating and 28%.  I think CBS didn't want Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart & Carol Burnett ratings to be affected by Walking Tall.  The ratings are for Saturday March 1, 1975.  CBS probably thought that Lucy would do great, her first special that season aired in November 1974 at 9:00 pm  (Happy Anniversary & Goodbye) and received a whopping 27.4 rating and 42% share of the audience.  It killed movies on NBC and ABC.  Overall, most of Lucy's specials after Here's Lucy did well.

1974-75

Happy Anniversary & Goodbye (27.4 - 42% and number 4 for the week)

Lucy Gets Lucky (18.1 - 30% but didn't finish in Top 30)

1975-76

Three For Two (24.8 - 42% and number 8 for the week) aired in early December on Wednesday and followed Bing Crosby Christmas Special).  Lucy killed a Starsky & Hutch spisode.

What Now, Catherine Curtis (22.6 - 36% and number 16 for the week)  aired in March 1976 on a Tuesday night at 10:00 pm.  It killed ABC's drama Family in the ratings.

1976-77

CBS Salutes Lucy (28.9 - 39% and number 2 for the week) aired in November on a Sunday night from 8-10.  Lucy still managed to beat a two-hour Six MIllion Dollar Man episode which came in fourth place.

1977-78

Lucy Calls The President (23.1 - 36% and number 12 for the week) aired in November on a Monday night from 8:30 -9:30 against Football and a Little House on the Prarie episode.  Lucy won her time slot.

People think that Lucy Comes To Nashville was a Lucille Ball special but it wasn't.  It wasn't owned by Lucille Ball productions nor CBS.  Since CBS has to air something opposite ABC's blockbuster Pearl mini-series so they slapped Lucy's name on this music special.  The rating wasn't too bad it managed to score a 20.2 rating and receive 28% of the audience, but, as I said before it was not a Lucy special and that's why it hasn't been seen on DVD like the rest of Lucy's specials. The music special ran on a Sunday night at 9:00 pm in November of 1978.

Lucy Moves to NBC (15.2 - 26% and number 52 for the week) aired in February of 1980 against CBS' Friday blockbuster line-up of Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas.  The special was repeated three times and did better in repeat airings, however, this is one Lucy special that was not great and the 30 minute pilot (Music Mart)  that was attached to it was horrible.

Only Lucy Gets Lucky and Lucy Moves to NBC did not make the Top 20 and Lucy Comes to Nashville wasn't a Lucille Ball special.

Yours, Mine & Ours got a huge rating as a Monday Night Movie.  It received a 26.0 rating and 40% share of audience.  Here's Lucy was killed by the movie and NFL Football.  This was during the 1973-74 season (the last season of Lucy) and it aired in November.  The first half of 73-74 season Here's Lucy didn't do too well, but, it improved  a lot during the second half season and was number one in its' timeslot from 9-9:30 pm; that is how it managed to land in 29th place with a 20.0 rating and 31% for the 1973-74 season.

Lucy Gets Lucky didn't do too badly.  It received a 18.1 rating and 30% share of audience, but, it did not make the Top 30.  ABC aired a special Saturday Night Movie blockbuster Walking Tall which landed in the top 10.  Who Is The Black Dahlia? finished in third place with a 14.8 rating and 23%.  CBS pre-empted their 9-11 Saturday block of Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett.  The Grammy Awards ran after Lucy with a 16.4 rating and 28%.  I think CBS didn't want Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart & Carol Burnett ratings to be affected by Walking Tall.  The ratings are for Saturday March 1, 1975.  CBS probably thought that Lucy would do great, her first special that season aired in November 1974 at 9:00 pm  (Happy Anniversary & Goodbye) and received a whopping 27.4 rating and 42% share of the audience.  It killed movies on NBC and ABC.  Overall, most of Lucy's specials after Here's Lucy did well.

1974-75

Happy Anniversary & Goodbye (27.4 - 42% and number 4 for the week)

Lucy Gets Lucky (18.1 - 30% but didn't finish in Top 30)

1975-76

Three For Two (24.8 - 42% and number 8 for the week) aired in early December on Wednesday and followed Bing Crosby Christmas Special).  Lucy killed a Starsky & Hutch spisode.

What Now, Catherine Curtis (22.6 - 36% and number 16 for the week)  aired in March 1976 on a Tuesday night at 10:00 pm.  It killed ABC's drama Family in the ratings.

1976-77

CBS Salutes Lucy (28.9 - 39% and number 2 for the week) aired in November on a Sunday night from 8-10.  Lucy still managed to beat a two-hour Six MIllion Dollar Man episode which came in fourth place.

1977-78

Lucy Calls The President (23.1 - 36% and number 12 for the week) aired in November on a Monday night from 8:30 -9:30 against Football and a Little House on the Prarie episode.  Lucy won her time slot.

People think that Lucy Comes To Nashville was a Lucille Ball special but it wasn't.  It wasn't owned by Lucille Ball productions nor CBS.  Since CBS has to air something opposite ABC's blockbuster Pearl mini-series so they slapped Lucy's name on this music special.  The rating wasn't too bad it managed to score a 20.2 rating and receive 28% of the audience, but, as I said before it was not a Lucy special and that's why it hasn't been seen on DVD like the rest of Lucy's specials. The music special ran on a Sunday night at 9:00 pm in November of 1978.

Lucy Moves to NBC (15.2 - 26% and number 52 for the week) aired in February of 1980 against CBS' Friday blockbuster line-up of Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas.  The special was repeated three times and did better in repeat airings, however, this is one Lucy special that was not great and the 30 minute pilot (Music Mart)  that was attached to it was horrible.

Only Lucy Gets Lucky and Lucy Moves to NBC did not make the Top 20 and Lucy Comes to Nashville wasn't a Lucille Ball special.

Yes I'm always interested to read historical ratings data such as the above.

I'm pretty sure however, regardless or not if it was truly a "Lucille Ball Special", the overriding reason LCTN will never see a DVD/video release is due to all the music rights issues, quite likely a nightmare in this particular case.  Do we have any info then on who did produce this for CBS, seeing as it wasn't LBP?

;)

Lucy Comes To Nashville was produced by Dwight Hemion, Gary Smith and Floyd Huddleston.  Dwight Hemion died in 2008 and produced a number of Barbara Stresiand Specials. 

No slouches there! Would be WUNDAFUL to see this again but I don't put much hope in it.... Will have to look in the Paley Library and see if they have it! :D

Good 'ol Mr. Wilson writes:

--1977-78

Lucy Calls The President (23.1 - 36% and number 12 for the week) aired in November on a Monday night from 8:30 -9:30 against Football and a Little House on the Prarie episode.  Lucy won her time slot.--

Is my memory playing tricks on me?  I seem to remember if being in a 10pm time slot.

I don't remember any of the Lucy specials airing in the original series  slot. 

As far as "Lucky", it's amazing that a show can get an 18 rating and a 30 share and not have made it into the top 30 programs for the week.  I have a weakness for "Lucky" because I think it's the best of the lot and the only special where we got classic Lucy.  Have never been too fond of "Calls President", mainly because of the (WRONG!) decision to do on videotape instead of film.

I didn't realize "Walking Tall"  was such a big deal.   I usually paid attention to ratings although the weekly list wasn't always published back then.  I would try to seek out an LA Times because they printed the ENTIRE list of rankings for the week.

Also don't remember YMO trouncing "Jury Duty with Joan Rivers".  I knew YMO won but thought HL was not far behind.  Sometimes you got overnight ratings reports which I think was surveying major cities and it varied from the final list when everything was taking into consideration.

Mr. Wilson, thanks for all the great ratings and audience percentages you have and shared.  I was interested in this a long time ago and posted a list of ratings here http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=264249&page=2.  If you know the LUcy Moves to NBC rerun ratings I would like to know that as well?  I thinK Lucy's specials did great they were never the bottom of the week and even if 2 didn't cracked the top 30 that isn't bad.  I like Lucy Gets Lucky and it is funny and I agree with you that it is better than Lucy Meets the President because the film is much better.  I wish Nashville would be released but that is because I am a country music fan from that era Lucy really didn't do much on that.  Lucy Moves to NBC was hilarious in spots and the pilot was Brady Bunch/Happy Days cute but it was too long. 

Neil . . . maybe President was rerun at ten one time?  Again, contrary to all you gloomy gusses, I predict that Lucy in Nashville W I L L come out on dvd eventually.  It was good and I'm not a fan of country but the guest stars were all good.  I have a copy and watch it once a year.  But the color is all washed out so it would be nice to see it all restored and yes, Lucy doing that number with the cornpone orchestra was a delight.  I used to check Variety to get the ratings back then, now you get them everywhere.

Archived