Lucy Dates Dean Martin

.... and Lucy never looked lovelier.

I couldn't agree more. It IS one of the best TLS episodes....but I still don't quite see how it was picked as her "all time" favorite, over such ILL classics with which we're so familiar -- even over Lucy Is Enciente, if only for sentimental reasons.... maybe she wasn't feeling too sentimental that day! lucydaze.JPG

Lord how I wish she'd stuck with this wig -- so much more glamorous and flattering than the "regular" TLS one! Oh well....someone probably talked her out of it!

lucyblah.JPG

I couldn't agree more. It IS one of the best TLS episodes....but I still don't quite see how it was picked as her "all time" favorite, over such ILL classics with which we're so familiar -- even over Lucy Is Enciente, if only for sentimental reasons.... maybe she wasn't feeling too sentimental that day! lucydaze.JPG

Lord how I wish she'd stuck with this wig -- so much more glamorous and flattering than the "regular" TLS one! Oh well....someone probably talked her out of it!

lucyblah.JPG

Over the years, she HAS named several Lucy eps as her all time faves, notably the Lucy is Enceinte and the Bill Holden one, i think here she was just remembering what a great time she had making it and working with Dean so she named this one as her all time favorite but she has named others. As for the WIG in the Dino ep, it was the head honchos at CBS who told her it did not look good so she gave it up on their say so. Obviously they were wrong but i guess they wanted the more familiar signature head she usually had, this one made her look much younger though.

I agree, stunning hairstyle, very 60's indeed but a great look.

And that dress wasn't bad either, and the wrap and even the handbag which i never noticed till i watched it this time. Lucy L O V E D that glittery coat, i forget if it's in The Lucy Book that gary tells the story of her loving it, i only wish she got to keep it after the shoot, but i never saw her wear it in real life so i guess they were both too cheap to buy the damned thing. Then again, if she wore it to a party, she`d have taken it off by the time she posed for pictures so hopefully she did get it, the woman wore some of the nicest clothes ever created for movies and tv and to know she was drooling over this coat is just beyond me.

And that dress wasn't bad either, and the wrap and even the handbag which i never noticed till i watched it this time. Lucy L O V E D that glittery coat, i forget if it's in The Lucy Book that gary tells the story of her loving it, i only wish she got to keep it after the shoot, but i never saw her wear it in real life so i guess they were both too cheap to buy the damned thing. Then again, if she wore it to a party, she`d have taken it off by the time she posed for pictures so hopefully she did get it, the woman wore some of the nicest clothes ever created for movies and tv and to know she was drooling over this coat is just beyond me.

One man's trash is another man's treasure hehe

One man's trash is another man's treasure hehe

I think it's more than that, growing up poor she never dreamed that one day she'd wear these designer creations AND she was very careful with money so i'm sure she hated paying the ridiculous prices the designers charged for their wares.

What's funny is that every time i watch Lucy being inducted into the T V Hall of Fame by Carol Burnett, i never fail to notice how Lucy in her basic black velvet dress is hugged by Carol who is wearing a very similar jacket (to the one in the Dino ep) with her own short black dress and as she hugs Lucy you get to see what that jacket would look like on Lucy, it WOULD have looked terrific, LOL! :peachonthebeach::lucy2::hlLOL:

Lucy already wore the jacket on The Danny Kaye Show in 1962 (when she imitates Judy Garland), so I'm sure she owned it.

Gale also cited this as his favorite episode.

Lucy already wore the jacket on The Danny Kaye Show in 1962 (when she imitates Judy Garland), so I'm sure she owned it.

Gale also cited this as his favorite episode.

It's lots of people's fave ep, it's just that most people haven't had a chance to see it in the last forty years, once it's out on dvd it will move up the charts of Lucy fans faves, LOL! :lucythrill:

It's lots of people's fave ep, it's just that most people haven't had a chance to see it in the last forty years, once it's out on dvd it will move up the charts of Lucy fans faves, LOL! :lucythrill:

Well put Claude, it's hard to tell what an episode is really like when you watch it on YouTube, it's always so much better on your own TV screen in crisp DVD quality, but it was a sweet episode, I wouldn't say it was a funny episode, but it had a good storyline to it and made you feel all warm inside.

Well put Claude, it's hard to tell what an episode is really like when you watch it on YouTube, it's always so much better on your own TV screen in crisp DVD quality, but it was a sweet episode, I wouldn't say it was a funny episode, but it had a good storyline to it and made you feel all warm inside.

It might not have been funny to YOU as you are too young, MY generation adored both Lucy and Dino and the set up jokes about his drinking were legendary, this show practically wrote itself. My mother's reaction was typical, she was rolling on the floor laughing as everyone of HER generation worshipped both actors and revelled in that comic scenario of serving an alcoholic a bogus martini, or fruit punch. The wearing of evening clothes, partying with a movie star who oozed sex appeal and Lucy who usually clowned instead being sophisticated for a change and the most beautiful she had ever appeared since her heyday of ILL. It all added up to a feast for Lucy lovers that would take years to get topped by the other legendary Lucy show, Lucy meets the Burtons, two other stars with tremendous appeal who defined the term GUEST STARS. As a matetr of fact, since Dean had just signed a 34 million dollar deal with NBC to produce his own hit variety series for a couple more years and with Sinatra he was one of the Kings of Las Vegas and he was HOT making movies too so at this time he was HUGE as a star and his appearing on her show was a great ratings bonanza.

It might not have been funny to YOU as you are too young, MY generation adored both Lucy and Dino and the set up jokes about his drinking were legendary, this show practically wrote itself. My mother's reaction was typical, she was rolling on the floor laughing as everyone of HER generation worshipped both actors and revelled in that comic scenario of serving an alcoholic a bogus martini, or fruit punch. The wearing of evening clothes, partying with a movie star who oozed sex appeal and Lucy who usually clowned instead being sophisticated for a change and the most beautiful she had ever appeared since her heyday of ILL. It all added up to a feast for Lucy lovers that would take years to get topped by the other legendary Lucy show, Lucy meets the Burtons, two other stars with tremendous appeal who defined the term GUEST STARS. As a matetr of fact, since Dean had just signed a 34 million dollar deal with NBC to produce his own hit variety series for a couple more years and with Sinatra he was one of the Kings of Las Vegas and he was HOT making movies too so at this time he was HUGE as a star and his appearing on her show was a great ratings bonanza.

Yeah, I guess you're right Claude, maybe I don't appreciate it as much due to my age, but I do understand where you are coming from. But you have to admit, it wasn't a laughing fest compared to other shows she did, it was a great show, but not a riot.

Yeah, I guess you're right Claude, maybe I don't appreciate it as much due to my age, but I do understand where you are coming from. But you have to admit, it wasn't a laughing fest compared to other shows she did, it was a great show, but not a riot.

Hey, there ARE other threads you know, i'm kinda sick of having to defend this ep, LOL! I'm telling you that out of all The Lucy Shows, this is MY favorite, same as it was Lucy's, BECAUSE it WAS a laugh riot, to us, OLDER fans who got the humor of this set up and the inside jokes about the two entertainers involved AND she never looked better on TV. :lucy2::lucy2::lucy2::lucy2::lucy2::lucy2::lucy2:

Hey, there ARE other threads you know, i'm kinda sick of having to defend this ep, LOL! I'm telling you that out of all The Lucy Shows, this is MY favorite, same as it was Lucy's, BECAUSE it WAS a laugh riot, to us, OLDER fans who got the humor of this set up and the inside jokes about the two entertainers involved AND she never looked better on TV. :lucy2::lucy2::lucy2::lucy2::lucy2::lucy2::lucy2:

"Lucy and Dean Martin" is California-era Lucy Show at its best. This was still in the period where Lucy could do ANYTHING. What other actress could do this episode, more along the lines of 'sophisticated comedy' AND in the same season carry off "Ironman Carmichael" among others? It's one of the things I like about the much-maligned 4th season of TLS. The season had some real duffers ("Rain Goddess" and "Superwoman" come to mind) , but I can't think of another that had such a RANGE.

Other than "Horse Guest" did she have this hair style in any other episodes?

I wonder WHO at CBS had such a strong opinion about her hairstyle. What difference did it make to them? These are the same people who were about to give the green light to "It's About Time"--maybe they should have paid more attention to Imogene Coca's hair.

Gary's attempts to edit this down for inclusion in 'CBS Salutes Lucy' failed to show the episodes off. You need to see the whole episode to appreciate Lucy's classic line "No wonder you sing better than he does!" But poor Bob and Madelyn on "Merv Griffin" had to sit through Lucy describing her 'favorite' episode, one that they did not write. That was Bob "Gorboona" O'Brien.

Ditto Gary's editing of "Burtons" for "Salutes". You can't blame Gary for including that one because it was his high-water mark as part of the 'team', but the pay-off scene doesn't stand on its own.

Speaking of "Salutes": it started out so great, but as it progressed there was more and more extended clips from guest star episodes from the later years--not that I minded, but the general public wanted to see more ILL, which were not always readily available for viewing in all markets in 1976. I personally love the chorus girl scene in "Danny Thomas", but a much better Lucy and Danny scene would have been the bedroom mistaken identity scene from "Comedy Hour".

"Lucy and Dean Martin" is California-era Lucy Show at its best. This was still in the period where Lucy could do ANYTHING. What other actress could do this episode, more along the lines of 'sophisticated comedy' AND in the same season carry off "Ironman Carmichael" among others? It's one of the things I like about the much-maligned 4th season of TLS. The season had some real duffers ("Rain Goddess" and "Superwoman" come to mind) , but I can't think of another that had such a RANGE.

I wonder WHO at CBS had such a strong opinion about her hairstyle. What difference did it make to them? These are the same people who were about to give the green light to "It's About Time"--maybe they should have paid more attention to Imogene Coca's hair.

The episode is probably my favorite California-era episode.

Lucy only had the hair style in those two episodes. However, she had in on an episode of Password, her July 1965 What's My Line? appearance, The Eammon Andrews Show in May 1966, and the Yours, Mine and Ours screen tests with her kids.

This is my favorite post-I LOve Lucy Show because it is funny without over-the-top writing and gives Lucy something to do besides physical comedy. She looked great. I think Bob O'Brian should have written better shows like this one, some of his shows were Lucy's worst.

While I can see her being deferential to her network bosses -- to a point -- I seriously doubt the CBS brass had anything to do with her changing her wig back to the older look. I mean, for one thing, were they BLIND!?? Perhaps if anything, they commented it DID make her look a little too "glamorous" and therefore in a way, at odds with the scatterbrained -- more so every season she was around! -- character she was portraying. I have a hunch she simply didn't care for it as much as the other "look" and was probably a little more difficult to keep maintained throughout filming, too. Just hunches.

But I seriously doubt Lucille Ball at that juncture of her career was told to change her hairstyle and complied accordingly. Being the strong force she was, I bet it was her own idea, for whatever reason(s) which is in a way, a shame as I don't think she ever looked lovelier. peachonthebeach.JPG

This is my favorite post-I LOve Lucy Show because it is funny without over-the-top writing and gives Lucy something to do besides physical comedy. She looked great. I think Bob O'Brian should have written better shows like this one, some of his shows were Lucy's worst.

I agree.... but if memory serves, most of those came later with Here's Lucy episodes -- I think he wrote most of the "let's put on a show" eps which are my least favorites. lucydisgust.JPG

He did, however, pen a few of my favorite Hollywood-based TLS eps, which is saying a lot as they're my least favorite seasons (as I much prefer the first two Danfield-based, written by the original writers with Viv seasons)....among them included is this Dean Martin ep, plus the hysterical ep guesting Ruta Lee as the scheming temp secretary who wants to take LC's place when she's off to Lake Arrowhead, prompting Lucy to stick around the office, arriving in one hilarious get-up after another -- her mad, mod decorator character is an all-time favorite! -- and for sentimental reasons, one of BO'B's best, Main Street USA (Part One), with the wonderful Mel Torme and Paul Winchell guesting. If they had to do a practically all-musical number show, that was the way to do 'em! Classic!

biggrin.gif

Archived