Wildcat: Original Cast Recording

Brock

Should be getting a copy of this soon and will give it a few plays till I pick one.

Heard a wonderful rework of HLMO done by Rachel York of all people. Too bad the Lucy movie didn't continue past early 60 for us to get her take of Lucy on Bway played by a really great bway actress.

Should be getting a copy of this soon and will give it a few plays till I pick one.

Heard a wonderful rework of HLMO done by Rachel York of all people. Too bad the Lucy movie didn't continue past early 60 for us to get her take of Lucy on Bway played by a really great bway actress.

I wish someone would go into those later years, which are very very interesting and fun- I think her home life was getting more interesting as her career was settling down. 

I don't know how rare it is for songs that were CUT before the show reached Broadway to be published as sheet music, but this one and "Angelina" were.  This was replaced by "You've Come Home". 

In the original book "Angelina" and "Far Away from Home" are reprised late in the show as a counterpoint song.

This is the part of the plot I found too far fetched.  Joe keeps referring to a girl back home he loves: Angelina and it's revealed late in the show that he's just made her up.  Now if it had turned out that Angelina was a beard to cover up his relationship with Cisco or Oney, I'd believe that---but this was 1960.

YoureFar_zpse7481aa5.jpg

I wish someone would go into those later years, which are very very interesting and fun- I think her home life was getting more interesting as her career was settling down. 

Listen to this line from the book about Bob Hope "the Road Less Traveled" about Lucy circa 1961-2. (post Wildcat, pre-The Lucy Show)-CAPS are mine.

"Lucy, unemployed and UNEMPLOYABLE, her career waning, was hired by Hope as his co-star in "Critics Choice".

Listen to this line from the book about Bob Hope "the Road Less Traveled" about Lucy circa 1961-2. (post Wildcat, pre-The Lucy Show)-CAPS are mine.

"Lucy, unemployed and UNEMPLOYABLE, her career waning, was hired by Hope as his co-star in "Critics Choice".

Hmmm...according to whom?

Seriously, I can't figure out who was going to Bob Hope movies in the 60s but he kept cranking them out all the way through "1972-2".  With all its faults, mainly Lucy-less scenes with Bob, "Critics Choice" was the last movie Bob made that had any class, virtually all of it supplied by Lucy with one of her most sincere and underplayed performances.  But her role was definitely subordinate to Bob's and COULD have been played by Martha Hyer (another Hope co-star).  This was made before The Lucy Show, but held back a year because of "disastrous previews", and released in 1963.

During the run of "Wildcat", there was serious talk of Lucy doing the movie version.  Interesting to speculate how that would have turned out.  Why Why Why Desilu didn't put it on as a TV special to recoup their losses,.I'll never know.  Staged for a TV audience like Carol Burnett's "Calamity Jane" done around 1963.

Thats non sense lol One of the worlds most loved personalities, and she's unemployable? Right lol

One thing that does get me to thinking though, is the "again, rescued" I remember hearing Lucy say something similar to this in her  Hollywood Byline Radio interview.. I always wonder what it was, besides having an affair with him maybe? But she said he changed her whole life.  

Seriously, I can't figure out who was going to Bob Hope movies in the 60s but he kept cranking them out all the way through "1972-2".  With all its faults, mainly Lucy-less scenes with Bob, "Critics Choice" was the last movie Bob made that had any class, virtually all of it supplied by Lucy with one of her most sincere and underplayed performances.  But her role was definitely subordinate to Bob's and COULD have been played by Martha Hyer (another Hope co-star).  This was made before The Lucy Show, but held back a year because of "disastrous previews", and released in 1963.

During the run of "Wildcat", there was serious talk of Lucy doing the movie version.  Interesting to speculate how that would have turned out.  Why Why Why Desilu didn't put it on as a TV special to recoup their losses,.I'll never know.  Staged for a TV audience like Carol Burnett's "Calamity Jane" done around 1963.

That would have been great, to have it aired as a TV special, at least (guessing it would have survived), we'd now have a complete "record" of its existence, not the show's soundtrack. :)

BTW Neil - what's the "it was made before The Lucy Show but held back a year" comment based on? Are you saying it was filmed after "Wildcat" but before the premiere of TLS, putting it somewhere in late '61 - early '62?? I'm curious what the source for that is because throughout the film, her makeup and hair(wig)styles in particular certainly reflect what she was sporting on the show circa 63 - '64.  Please 'splain.  :HALKING:

Filming on Critic's Choice began in March 1962 before The Lucy Show began. The movie was not released until April 1963.

Even though there was talk of Lucy Goes to Broadway special still happening as late as 1963, I think once Lucy got out of Wildcat she never wanted anything to do with it again. I know Columbia announced their never realized film version (to star Ann-Margret) in 1965, but I don't know when the film rights went to them.

I would think Lucy's comments about Bob were because he pushed to have her cast in Sorrowful Jones. Sorrowful Jones and Fancy Pants were among the highest grossing films of their respective years, so I'm sure they increased Lucy's visibility.

• 1 year later...

Well feast your baby-blues on THIS from Charlotte Peters "The First Lady of St. Louis Television"!   She had a one-hour 5-day a week noon show for 22 years on local TV.  Had offers to take in national but turned them down because she didn't want to leave St. Louis.

Dinah Shore, Polly Bergen, and Louis Nye perform Tippy, Tippy Toes at 11:13. I've never heard this number performed outside of Wildcat.
This was from April 1961 so the show was running.

• 2 years later...

Archived