Go Home Lucy, You're Drunk

Drunk Lucy has always been entertaining to me so I thought I's try to list all the times she has done a drunk scene. Am I missing any? What is your favorite? Mine our Easy to Wed, and anytime she is drunk on TLS.

40s

Easy To Wed

Fuller Brush Girl

50s

ILL- Lucy Does a TV Commercial

LDCH-Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana

Ann Southern Show

60s

TLS-Lucy’s Sister Pays A Visit

TLS-Lucy and the Countess

TLS-Lucy and The French Movie Star

TLS-Lucy Flys to London/ Victor Borge Comedy Hour

Facts of Life

Yours Mine and Ours

Danny Kaye Show-French Restaurant

70s

HL-Tipsy Through the Tulips

Great list! Funny you should post this today. This morning, I woke up with the Ann Sothern breathy quote, "That's wonderful cure!" stuck in my head.

Lucy also had drunk scenes with MTM in The Mary Tyler Moore Hour, and with Danny Kaye in his 1962 special.

Do we want to include having a hangover in Mame, and being portrayed as an alcoholic in Lucy's Punctured Romance?

Thanks for those HL ones. I knew there were some I'd forget. I do love that line in Punctured Romance. "Lucy's just a deaf alcoholic that's been married 6 times"

Then we have sedated Lucy although not as common.

ILL- Staten Island Ferry

LDCH- Lucy Wants a Career

LS-Lucy and the Ring a Ding Ring

Thanks for those HL ones. I knew there were some I'd forget. I do love that line in Punctured Romance. "Lucy's just a deaf alcoholic that's been married 6 times"

Then we have sedated Lucy although not as common.

ILL- Staten Island Ferry

LDCH- Lucy Wants a Career

LS-Lucy and the Ring a Ding Ring

Her drunk act, really brilliant was certainly used sparingly in I Love Lucy with just the two shows you mentioned, and the latter being pills. As a series, I think Lucy Carter got drunk more than Ricardo or Carmichael.

And technically she and Katie are sedated, not drunk on "The Ann Sothern Show" having nipped at chocolates filled with sleeping pills. It's a good thing this one was not a 2-parter or we would have had "Katie and Lucy Get Their Stomachs Pumped" (and later, the sequel to "Lucy and the Countess Lose Weight": "The Countess Goes Bulimic")

When Ann Sothern presented a retrospective of her career, most of it was movies up through "The Killing Kind", but for TV she included the drunk scene from "Havana" followed by the Lucy episode of "Ann".  She showed the whole episode of "Ann" minus the middle section.  Funny that there was nothing from "Private Secretary", her more famous TV series.  People certainly remember Ann on her two TV series, but unlike "Lucy", I don't think anyone can name their "favorite" episode.  There probably wasn't a good definitive clip.  The comedy was not usually as raucous as this episode.  Ann on TV: a triumph of charm over middling-to-poor material.

There's also Lucy on speed in "Gets Involved", or "wake up pills" as they're referred to.  Were Lucy around today, she probably would have a plot involving an accidental encounter with meth.

Another possibility: Visiting the "Airforce Academy" today but first stopping off at a local (legal) dispensary to pick up what she thinks are  "Chesterfields".

We could get a Lucy on cocaine a la Girls. Although I can't see her running all over NYC in a mesh shirt and no bra. I think Lucy on pot would be hysterical. I bet it would be like that gaslight episode with the crazy drapes and someone dressed as a rabbit running around. Lucy was always dolling out cough medicine to the sick, maybe she gets a hold of sizzurp instead.

I was thinking Lucy was drunk on that Ann Southern Show since they had that split of Champagne, but if you got drunk on that little alcohol you have a serious problem.

Speaking of Ann's shows it reminded me of something. In the movie Enough Said, Gandolfini's character works at a place like the Paley Center. As he is showing Julia's character around on one of the viewing monitors someone is watching a show with Ann Southern. I'm not familiar with them to know which one it is though.

Archived