The Lucy legacy, 25 years later.

C L A U D E

Lucy once said, A LOT OF PEOPLE GO THROUGH LIFE AND DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING BEHIND.  That certainly was NOT the case for HER.  Here it is, the 25th anniversary of her passing and I still find articles I've never read, old magazines and books on her, mentions of her everywhere, even on TV shows.  Today, I found the MGM book and there she is on the cover, and numerous mentions inside the tome.  I have found more books on her than on anybody else, although the Queen of England is gaining on her. 

Not only did she leave those movies, almost 80 of them, those TV shows, over 500, not to mention appearances on talk shows, quiz shows, even drama in a few cases.  She also has ingrained memories of riotous laughter into generation after generation, having been the world's busiest babysitter for decades.  She did a lot for women, I remember when SHE was the only woman in a group of male superstars.  She was the first woman to accomplish a lot of things.  Being the most important part of the world's greatest TV series was also quite a triumph.  She even ran a studio, oh she might not have liked having to do it, but she was never one to avoid hard work, but she did it anyway.  She knew the only way she could get her investment back was to build it up to what it once was.  She was fiercely loyal to all, although maybe a bit too old fashioned sometimes.  She was devoted to friends and family, great wife and mother, having been once poor, she also knew to save her wealth, live modestly and her main focus of course was to be overly optimistic and teach the rest of us some valuable lessons in life.  Like take care of yourself or you won't be able to take care of others.  She was generous and kind and certainly seems to have learned all the valuable lessons of life and was quite the mother hen to all those around her.

Most of us know her more for her work though, now that's the real legacy, entertaining millions all over the world with her comedic antics.  Some of us just have to see a picture and we can roar with laughter knowing every part that led up to the photo.  We can recite the dialogue of most of the shows, have built up a library of her work that entertains us forever.  When Desi was asked who should get the credit for the success of the show, I Love Lucy, he rightfully said, give Lucy 90% and share the rest among the rest of us.  When Gary was asked what was her best attribute, he said her WARMTH, can't argue with that one.  So, 25 years later, she's gone but still with us and will be forever.  She's been the best part of our lives, constant non failing humor, even after a hundred views or even a thousand.  The Museum is nice, but the only parts of it I care about are the shows, books, and the few people still around who could tell us stories of that magical time when all the elements got together and formed a show that will never be duplicated and starring the most talented and gifted woman in show business.  No Lucy, you needed have worried about YOUR legacy, it will go on forever and we are so grateful for it, thanks for making our lives so much more.  They were right when they said losing you was like losing a member of the family.

Thanks for your, as always, lovely tribute to our GIRL....  I, for one, appreciate it; how 'bout it all?  Claude, while I'm here, what year did Lucille and Desi receive each of their Hollywood Walk of Fame Awards?  I don't believe I've ever run across those dates.  I was just reading when they finally did one for Vivian Vance, 1991; so, I assume all others received theirs at some time, as well.  What about Bill?  Did he receive one?  Thanks if anyone, or you, Claude, know(s)....Love, JK

Thanks for your, as always, lovely tribute to our GIRL.... I, for one, appreciate it; how 'bout it all? Claude, while I'm here, what year did Lucille and Desi receive each of their Hollywood Walk of Fame Awards? I don't believe I've ever run across those dates. I was just reading when they finally did one for Vivian Vance, 1991; so, I assume all others received theirs at some time, as well. What about Bill? Did he receive one? Thanks if anyone, or you, Claude, know(s)....Love, JK

Lucy and Desi's stars were among the 1,500+ initial stars unveiled in February 1960.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool! I'm sure it'll have all the dates and events-it'll be great for reference

Don't know about ALL the dates; I've barely scratched the surface after all these years; some days 10-12 hours of research and/or typing.  In any event, it stands at nearly 1000 pages and will be published in a two-volume set ....SOON by iUniverse!!!!  Hope you send me your dates, as I just asked you to do.  Love, JK

1000 pages?  So much work, glad you had the stamina to finish it, great accomplishment.  Maybe i'll write one too before I die, but I will include all the salacious parts you omitted, LOL!  Maybe mine will be a short compilation and I can send it to The National Enquirer or something, LOL!

Archived