Ann B. Davis has died

HarryCarter

Ann B. Davis as died at the age of 88. :(

(CNN) -- Ann B. Davis, known for her role as housekeeper Alice Nelson on "The Brady Bunch," died
Sunday, close friend Bishop William Frey said. She was 88.
According to Frey, Davis fell and hit her head Saturday morning in her bathroom. She suffered a subdural
hematoma and never regained consciousness.
Appearing in her trademark light blue maid's uniform with a white apron, Alice anchored "The Brady
Bunch" with her cheerful attitude and witty one-liners.
In a 2004 interview with the Archive of American Television, Davis described how she created the
character.
"I made up a background story. I did have a twin sister, so I used that as a basis. ... I cared very much
about this family. It was my family. It was close to my family as Alice would ever get. I would have died for
any single one of them at any point," she said. "You know, they wrote me such gorgeous things to do, as
the intermediary between the kids and the adults, and between the boys and the girls. And they gave me
funny things to do."
In real life, Davis said she wasn't quite as handy around the house as her beloved character.
"I basically don't do that well with children, although my sister says I'm a great aunt," she told People,
adding that she hates to cook.
"When it's my turn in the house," she told the magazine, "we just eat out."
Davis had planned to study medicine at the University of Michigan but caught the acting bug from her
brother, who was a dancer in the national company of "Oklahoma," according to a biography of the
actress on IMDb.com.
Her big break in Hollywood came when she won the role of Charmaine "Schultzy" Schultz, the secretary
on the 1950s sitcom "The Bob Cummings Show," IMDb said.
But to generations of American TV viewers, she was best known as Alice.
Frey, who knew Davis for 38 years, said fans often told her that they felt like they'd been raised by the
character of Alice.
"Look how well you turned out," she would reply.
"All of wish we had an Alice. I wish I had an Alice," Davis told People magazine in 1992.
"What you see on 'The Brady Bunch' was who she was," Frey said. "She was a very faithful Christian
person."
Davis mostly retired from show business in the late 1970s to settle down in an Episcopal community.
"I'm convinced we all have a God-shaped space in us, and until we fill that space with God, we'll never
know what it is to be whole," she told People.
Even as she turned her focus more toward religion, she appeared in commercials and several stage
productions.
In the 1995 "The Brady Bunch" movie, she played a truck driver, persuading a runaway Jan to return
home.
She told the Archive of American Television that she loved working on the small screen.
"The neatest thing about television is that they write for you. ... They find out what you can do, what you
do best, how it works, and how they can use you. And so from there on, it's wonderful. Because it's
different. It's not like playing the same play forever and ever and ever," she said. "But the character's still
the same. It just gets better and more developed. So that's great fun."

67129b0a8b72dc2486a5a64f78638715.jpg

I know the "younger generation" thinks of this lady as Alice, but that was "after my time."  I primarily know her as the man-starved Schultzy on the Bob Cummings show... Loved her in that!  Years later I heard that Cummings originally wanted Alfred Hitchcock's bespeckled daughter Pat for the role. The two had become pals a decade earlier when Cummings starred in Hitchcock's film "Saboteur."  But Pat discovered she was pregnant just as work got underway on the TV series, so she did not even have a chance to test for the part!

Sorry to hear the news about Ms. Davis!

bro

Very sad news -- and what a terrible way to go. :(

R.I.P. Ann.

Actually, maybe not.  Assuming he all have to go sometime (unless you know something we dun't), I'd rather go quickly and not linger with some long illness.  And at age 88, the cruel facts are that most people are afflicted with some sort of age-related malady.

Like Tom (tjw), I never got into Brady Bunch, but she brought a lot of energy to "The Bob Cummings Show", so much so, she earned the respect of the Emmy people, nominating for  Best Supporting Actress in each of the show's 4 seasons and won for the last two, beating out Vivian Vance in 1958 (for the calendar year 1957); and Verna Felton for December Bride in 1959.

Actually, maybe not.  Assuming he all have to go sometime (unless you know something we dun't), I'd rather go quickly and not linger with some long illness.  And at age 88, the cruel facts are that most people are afflicted with some sort of age-related malady.

I agree... It is much better to go out with the blink of an eye than with a long, drawn-out illness!

I read Ann's obit - [long-time fan of Bob Cummings show - she was GREAT![ - reading in our local paper this morning; what did I miss?  How did she pass? 

Scroll up to Harry's post or check out the web for details:

Davis fell and hit her head Saturday morning in her bathroom. She suffered a subdural

hematoma and never regained consciousness.

Loved her to death, wonderful character actress, what a shame she kind of got locked into just two roles but man she has to be most of the most famous second bananas of alltime, not that far beyond Viv.  Was amazed that the TODAY show put her death right up front of the show in the opening. Would have loved to have seen her work with Lucy but then I guess Mary Wickes got anything that would have been great for her.  I'm a totally BK (Brady kid), grew up watching them over and over (and over and over ...) in the 1970's  and she was easily the most endearing character on the show. Never saw LOVE THAT BOB until some pd dvds came on the market ten years ago, not so crazy about Cummings but loved La Davis (and Nancy Kulp, too).  While nobody can top Vivian in my book among second bananas I am happy that Ann got honored by the Emmy people, can think of tons of people who should have and never did.  RIP Ann B.  

I've never seen Ann playing Schultzy.  I wish The Bob Cummings Show was available somewhere to watch. 

Pretty easy….here ya go. Ann B starts at 2:40 and you'll recognize Rose Marie and Nancy Kulp (Miss Jane Hathaway) too!

Part 1

and Part 2

Archived